296 GTB V6 Sound | FerrariChat

296 GTB V6 Sound

Discussion in '296' started by inox, Aug 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Excerpt from official press release:

https://corporate.ferrari.com/en/296-gtb-defining-fun-drive

Sound-wise, the 296 GTB rewrites the rulebook by harmoniously combining two characteristics that are normally diametrically opposed: the force of the turbos and the harmony of the high-frequency notes of a naturally-aspirated V12. Even at low revs, inside the cabin, the soundtrack features the pure V12 orders of harmonics which then, at higher revs, guarantee that typical high-frequency treble. This Ferrari’s soundtrack matches its performance, creating a sense of unprecedented involvement, and marking the turning of a new page in Maranello’s berlinetta history.

Even to those outside the car, the shrill sound of the engine is instantly recognisable. The first in the F163 engine family, this V6 earned itself the nickname “piccolo V12” (little V12) during the development phase. The 120° V architecture guarantees a symmetrical firing order while the equal-length, tuned exhaust manifolds combined with the single exhaust line outside the hot-V amplify the pressure waves. These characteristics are what lend such purity to the orders of harmonics, which are further helped by a limiter that hits an impressive 8500 rpm. The patented “hot tube” has been completely redesigned for the 296 GTB and is positioned prior to the exhaust gas treatment systems so that it channels the pure sound into the cabin, further enhancing driver involvement and excitement.

----

I'm not familiar how all those things mentioned in the press release make the V6 to sound like V12. I mean from the press release you get an impression that it sounds better than their V8.

The firing frequency drops 25% from the V8 due to loss of 2 cylinders, but because of the 500 rpm higher rev range, the overall red line frequency is only about 20% less.

Doesn't their V8's have symmetrical firing order as well?

What is essential/different here that makes this V6 to sound better than their V8?

It would be interesting if some kind of echo chamber could be created to double the frequency of firing sounds. That would make the "Piccolo V12" claim much more understandable.

2. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    As long as there is the need for a “hot tube” in any Ferrari (why don’t they call it what it really is?!) and, until I hear this specific car in person (from outside the cabin), I will remain skeptical.

3. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I suppose it can be best sounding turbo charged V6 with GPF. But typically it is hard to make better sound by reducing cylinders. And in this case it is unlikely as remaining cylinders share the same unit size as in V8. Then again, if the sound is even close to V8, I'll be happy because the new V6 is much more efficient than even the current top end V8.

4. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Can’t count on the Ferrari propaganda videos being accurate!

dustman, RayJohns, Dela and 1 other person like this.
  5. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Or an indoor cold start.

Dela and Dicecal like this.
  6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I basically agree However this is not something new with Ferraris I know several other cars use them including my 2018 and 2020 AMG E63S.. I think this was also the first car to use the in-the-V Turbos which truthfully works great but they do not have the GPF ,,, that why I bought 2020.. I should note these are cross plane engine architecture which gives you the low RPM rumble vs Ferrari flat crank engines.. which give us that wonderful scream we all like...now i think a lot of performance cars have the hot tube I also think the in the Vdesign turbos engines have the opportunity to sound better ...but guess we shall see...

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    +1

Ferrari has been claiming that every car after the 458 sounds better than the previous car, which is clearly complete BS.

Just like Napoli said above: when a car requires a sound tube into the cabin, it makes me rather skeptical of how the motor sounds otherwise.

Ray

ryalex likes this.
  8. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Probably so. I think it is not far from truth to claim that the more efficient you make the power unit, the less sound it will make.

This new V6 hybrid is surely efficient. Interesting to see where co2 figures end up.

It is almost sad that the new Lamborghini Countach with its 6.5 litre V12 can't compete with this little power unit in acceleration, trailing 1.3 seconds in 0-200 kph (8.6 s vs 7.3 s). The true difference is a bit smaller though as Ferrari's figure is apparently in qualifying mode.

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Why wouldn't Quali mode count?

Slicknick and DRA132629 like this.
  10. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    It counts in acceleration tests for sure. But you won't get max performance out of electric motor continuously. That said, the new Countach has also electric motor, but nowhere near as powerful as in Ferrari (34 hp vs 163 hp).

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The battery recharges in part throttle and during braking.

F2003-GA likes this.
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1
    BS factory videos with dubbed and enhanced sound. Another lame sounding f car sadly.

RayJohns likes this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It's a turbocharged engine that has to abide by the EU norms. Some people seem to think that engines need to be antisocially loud and that providing motive force is secondary to vroom-vroom. Crazy!!!

I also believe that some people are acoustically impaired (perhaps by their own loud exhausts), thus needing even louder exhausts to satisfy their need of attention.

Napoli and ingegnere like this.
  14. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    All good points and no argument from me, but sound does matter.

plastique999 and ryalex like this.
  15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm sure there's an element of that in the mix also.

And true, just like with motorcycles, most everything today rolls out of the factory with exhaust systems that focuses more on sound level regulations and emissions control than anything else. Unfortunately, the fact that Ferrari is a victim of all this - along with all other car manufactures - doesn't change the core issue here; which is:

Ferrari has always been known for selling cars which have amazing sounding exhaust systems, and now their current cars basically sound awful.

As far as sound level, I've never cared much for overly loud exhaust systems. I just like having an exhaust sound which is the result of a high performance motor, be it a 4 cylinder, in-line 6, V8 or whatever. Turbo charged is fine also; the F40 sounds amazing.

On a brighter note, I did hear a couple of pretty nice sounding F8's driving around Monterey a few weeks back. My guess is they were running exhaust systems without cats or with some high flow cats and aftermarket exhaust systems, etc.

My

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The comment I believe was lame sounding not sub-antisocially loud. These new Ferraris sound like crap compared to non-GPF and NA Ferraris just a few years ago. Also, we don't have EU standards here so they don't have to abide. Nothing anti-social about a 458 or F12. If you believe so then maybe just go full electric to avoid all sound.

17. BillHartman67

BillHartman67 Karting

Sep 25, 2021
    Montvale, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bill Hartman
    I cannot agree more. Nothing sounds like a 8 cylinder 458. It isn’t the volume of sound but the quality of the sound even at idle. I own a Maserati GranTurismo (same engine as 458) the sound is amazing. I recently drove the Maserati MC20 (V6) and the engine sounds like a Porsche Boxster. Came home from my track day and placed an order for an F8. I don’t think you can compare a V8 engine to a V6 even with a hot pipe. It just doesn’t sound as good. Not sure it is a fair compare.

therryzsx and _CoA like this.
  18. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    I recall a Lotus or some car that had a programmable cabin sound which could be a Porsche 917, etc. Cool, but fake cabin sound is a non-starter for me.

Napoli, Jo Sta7 and pilotoCS like this.
  19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    All the videos clips I’ve seen it sounds blaaaaah to say the least.

I hope it’s better in real life as I really like the looks of the car and might consider one; but it needs to sound like a Ferrari or able to be modified to sound like one.

It’s got a lot to live up to next to my 355 with cap level 2!

ryalex likes this.
  20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It won’t. I think it sounds better than the F8 though which is pretty terrible.

ryalex and A348W like this.
  21. AliPaPa

AliPaPa Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    I hope Ferrari will make the GPF can be easily removed aftermarket

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This device will be very difficult to remove..and designed to be by regulation. Any tampering with it is illegal. It is monitored by pressure sensors and a bunch of other parameters are sent to the ECU which it needs to see, otherwise the car goes into limp mode. Replacments Costa of thes filters is going to be simply astronomical.

23. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
  24. fireplace63

fireplace63 Karting

Jun 18, 2011