296 Reviews on YouTube | Page 7 | FerrariChat

296 Reviews on YouTube

Discussion in '296' started by keithos27, Mar 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mgr201

mgr201 Rookie

May 8, 2022
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That’s a fair point. Every Lotus I have ever driven was fantastically engaging, precise, light as a feather, totally impractical and demonstrably slower than my 458.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Elise was a disappointment for me. Slow (okay, that can be rectified by choosing a more powerful engine; the one I am talking about was the 190 hp model), heavy and slow steering, recalcitrant gearbox, mediocre brakes (sans servo and ABS) and dull witted front end (turn in). Felt like double its heft, due to all those heavy controls.

3. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Wanted to weigh in a bit on this, as I've often thought about why Porsche has decided that ~500hp is a good power point for their GT3 and GT3RS. This seems to be the case also with Porsche tuners building old 964s and 993s. While not all tuners and reimagineers aim at this power point, I think the ones that do are actually on to something. The block can definitely handle more power, but I think there's something more to what they're doing than just lap times, which is what I believe Ferrari is rediscovering as important.

Long ago, when I upgraded from an S2000 to an E46 M3, I remember feeling like I had a bit of a epiphany that I couldn't, then, put into words. That epiphany was that the S2000 had something quite special to it that I couldn't quite put my finger on. As a disclaimer, those sentiments, and now the sentiments that will proceed, ignore the importance of track times. For those hung into track performance, hold that thought.

When it comes to power, I find that I tend to rediscover over the years that there is an importance beyond the numbers that is sometimes overlooked in media reviews. Power (and torque) are not always good translations to what Ferrari has claimed to "reinvent" as fun to drive or driving pleasure. See, when I used to daily drive the S2000, I didn't realize then how much Honda had focused on this 'fun to drive' idea that I now search for as a key factor in a car. Over time, I've come to understand an essential part of that idea is power delivery.

Yes, yes, I know some of you are rolling your eyes, because it is really NOT a new concept. But power delivery is actually an incredibly deep subject that describes a lot about how much enjoyment you are able to extract out a car on the pubic roads.

It is a function of a bunch of different aspects of vehicle design and dynamics, including:
    • Engine Design
    • Transmission Design
    • Differential Design
    • Gear Ratios
    • Engine Management
    • Tire Selection
    Power delivery then controls factors that link directly to driving pleasure like;
    • Butt Dyno Feel aka acceleration
    • Time Spent under Load in each Gear
    • Time Spent at different (and more interesting) RPMs in the rev band
    • Amount of time enjoying the best sounds that a car will produce
    So back to the S2000. While the car revved up to 9000rpm, I always thought that the first 4000rpm were boring. Over time, I had come to understand that those boring RPMs not only have a technical reason for existing, but also play a role in the enjoyment of the upper RPMs of the car. Besides embodying the classic concept of a high revving naturally aspirated engine, the S2000's power delivery was developed by the good old folks at Honda as a result of being good studies of the human psychology.

The desire for completeness and for resolution is human nature. You will find that a framework that brings the mind the most emotional satisfaction is one where there is a prolonged reach for resolution, such as in great story telling, great films, and great music. That framework comes in the form of just the right amount of sustained dissonance (tension, disruption, conflict) and then consonance (resolution, closure, harmony).

The S2000 did just that. It sustained that state of dissonance for the driver and created a strong desire to reach for resolution. In this case, resolution was revving to 9k (or 8k if you're a AP2 type of person). As the engine speed climbed, the sound, the acceleration, the visuals of the digital RPM gauge climbing, and the rev limiter bouncing were all so well orchestrated that peak emotional satisfaction was achievable at even the most pedestrian of speeds. It brings a smile to my face thinking about those good old days!

Now back to the earlier GT4RS and GT3RS comments on this thread. I think this idea is fundamental to how Porsche develops their naturally aspirated cars. They've understood that at street speeds and speed limits, maximizing enjoyment is about something completely different than neck-breaking acceleration. Of course, they have their Turbo line and other cars specifically designed to ignore all that for the impatient ones that just want to repetitively stomp the pedal and get instant gratification. It's also the same reason why some enjoy electric cars like the Tesla that claim ridiculous speeds, and some that tire of it in short time. Personality matters.

I think Ferrari turned a new page in the industry the day they released the 488. The power delivery on the 488 and F8 lineup shows restraint via engine management and gearing. Ferrari doesn't just unleash the full might of their engineering onto those poor tires on a whim. From what I could gather, the power delivery was specifically designed to not only maximize what the tires are capable of, but also what the driver could actually enjoy. The clever thing is Ferrari's engine management can tell when you want to just be a complete hoon vs. when you're actually driving, and remaps how it delivers power. You can therefore still sit there like a total wanker and do burnouts, donuts, and the like if you must.

Finally to fast forward to the 296. I think they've done it again. The total package could have likely been tuned to accelerate at an even higher rate in early gears, to shift much more violently for effect, and to generally focus it's accolades on timing related metrics that the media love to report. Thankfully they didn't. Like a page out of their old N/A playbook, and much like Porsche's NA GT cars, the power delivery is incredibly rewarding. While the acceleration times are nothing to snooze on, the gearing does not feel too short, allowing the car to let those intake trumpets and exhaust gases stretch out their legs just a little bit more. The result is sublime aural tonality and timbre that is unlike anything modern out there. With just one gear shift into 2nd while entering a highway onramp in the 296, you get to enjoy a little more time across the higher rpms, listening to the V6 sing its way from dissonance to automotive consonance, and peaking with a little bit of turbo flutter as you finally let of the gas to slow down.

While the 296 philosophy has a lot in common with N/A legends and modern N/A gems, it, alongside any modern Ferrari, doesn't share the one thing that most naysayers complain about: it doesn't lack power, and it is not slow by any stretch of the imagination.

Now for the folks holding out for the 296 for track duty, I think the Assetto Fiorano kit is still geared for a bit of occasional track driving vs. actual track duty. Given that the Speciale and Pista were both more street car than track car, I don't know if Ferrari is the brand to go with when it comes to really going hard at the track. As someone who has spent a lot of seat time in both of those cars on track, alongside a few other makes, I'd like Ferrari is probably the make that is the least focused on thinking about the actual track rats out there. That said, the cars do well in general on track, but you can tell that they would rather you buy a Challenge car if you're serious.

Can you tell I'm excited about the 296?

4. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    This (^^^) has to be the "replacement" goal for the manufacturers that believed in high HP/torque.

As the lawmakers reduce emissions further they will then start looking at tyre (tire) wear as this is a significant pollutant. The "carbon" cost of producing a car will become another factor and hence the ability to recycle 100% of a car, then batteries will become the issue (production as opposed to charging) and on it will go... By then we may be driving "green" hydrogen cell based cars as green electricity enables us to produce hydrogen at a "reasonable" cost.

How do you keep your customers happy during these ever changing times – produce fun to drive cars. How do you keep the lawmakers happy, lower wight cars made from fewer, less rare, resources that can be recycled over and over again and thus leave a smaller environmental footprint with an energy source that does not pollute.

The fastest, highest HP/torque cars will be for track days, perhaps some people will own them or maybe the tracks will have a new business model and own and maintain them.

For road cars – fun, fun, fun with great power to weight ratio that have been engineered for a minimal environmental footprint – otherwise we will all be catching the robo- taxi, bus, coach, train or cycling.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006

Your analysis is truly excellent, but allow me to disagree on 296.
    I had the opportunity to drive the car alone for an hour, and I tried to analyze the thing without being distracted by someone talking to you.
    When I talk about bland and artificial for this car (and this generation of hybrid car) it's for several reasons.
    At the level of the engine, I do not feel it communicative. A bit as if the search for perfection induces an excessive smoothing which takes away its character and gives you the sensation of an electric linearity.
    At no time does the engine speak to you or communicate with you, as the V12 of my F 12 does, for example, or, every 1000 additional trs, you feel a character and an exchange with the driver who involves you a lot, not only by vocalizations very rich in rev changes, but also and above all in the very lively, very natural delivery of power and torque.
    In the 296, this perfection takes away its naturalness and gives way to an artificial, robotic feeling.
    There is not this discussion, this exchange with the driver.
    It's the same for the sound, it is so worked and amplified by a hot tube inside the cabin (because from the outside you only hear silence), that it also gives it a robotic side.
    This very artificial set, which reflects a pure engineer's car, gives me a feeling of blandness, where there is no communication, no dialogue, no surprise in the variations.
    Here are the reasons why I came to this conclusion, when I used the shortcut using the terms "artificial" and "bland".

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Everyone has his own definition of where technical development removes emotion and qualifies as artificial... some are despising the DCT on your F12 (that is of no concern for you apparently) just as much as you are not moved by the 296 power train.

LuxRes and wthensler like this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The real dilemma is the fact that due to government mandates, the evolutionary movement to hybridization with the eventual goal of total electrification, is compelling super car manufacturers to cope with this new and contradictory technology. Super car raison d'être and hybridization are oxymorons and incompatible with one another. At this stage of development, there exist minimal advantages with unfortunately numerous and fundamental downsides involved in integrating electricity with ICE. The massive weight penalty and attendant unnecessary complexity, combine to ameliorate the immersive driving experience. Driving engagement and passion are being sacrificed in the pursuit of a technology that is undermining the reason why these cars exist and are so enthusiastically purchased.

8. ZZNoble

ZZNoble Rookie

Mar 8, 2017
    Hi everyone, Joe from The Car Crush here. We just posted our review of the 296 GTB Assetto Fiorano -- the very first review on US soil with the track package -- to the channel. It's an incredible car, not as harsh as I'd imagined -- I was thinking it would feel like Pista or Speciale but it actually feels closer (suspension-wise) to a Porsche GTS spec. I've not not driven the 296 in standard set-up, but if its like the 488 and F8, you do lose that "magic carpet" ride quality but its not bone-rattling. I was also worried about the lack of the nose lift on the A.F. and, it's actually not a big issue, quite forgiving on dips and driveways. The power is unending, a seamless ribbon between the V6, turbos and hybrid, and the sound is....incredible. And while the "hot pipe" which brings sound into the cabin undoubtedly raises the volume, it sounds incredible from outside the car as well. Anyhoo....if any of you have questions about our experience with the car let us know and, thanks for checking out our review should you have the chance. Cheers!

9. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Totally agree. Even without lawmakers stifling free market innovation, the average consumer car has become a fairly amazing from a performance standpoint. You don't need to pay over $75k to get near supercar performance in specific bite size metrics, that is, not well rounded, but enough to tick a few boxes that rival high end sports cars or supercars. Some cars out there reach stratospheric straight-line performance and reasonable handling without much compromise.

In the electrified era, beautiful design and driving pleasure combined with modern convenience feels like the direction that manufacturers of high performance cars continue to go. Convenience has many definitions, so you can pick your adventure there. But consider the fact that you can drive most modern supercars to and from a track day or that most supercar manufacturers now devote focus on other convenience factors like smartphone integration, UX design, range, ground clearance, etc, the need to think harder about market differentiation is producing some interesting cars out there.

Perhaps I'll end up spending more time in the 296 when it finally arrives and ultimately come to your conclusion. Every interaction I've had with the car has been pleasantly surprising for me.

Also, perhaps my somewhat unique view or that of those on this forum, comes from a place where we're fortunate enough to own several cars vs. just owning one. I currently daily drive a V12 Lusso with a lovely Brooke Racing exhaust. It's going to be replaced with a Taycan ST (if they ever allocate me one), so perhaps I'll miss the V12 soon after. Who knows.

For me having young kids, the ability to wake up on weekend mornings and go for a drive before the wife wakes up is no longer possible. Little kids wake up and run out to the garage if any sports car starts up! The 296 presents a pretty cool opportunity for someone like me at this very narrow window in time in my life. That also makes it pretty cool to me that it also happens to be a Ferrari.

VAF84, LuxRes and 09Scuderia like this.
  10. KEMA

KEMA Karting

Mar 8, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Maybe I missed it in the video, but what's the color on this car? Hard to tell in the video.
    Thanks for posting.

11. Widowmaker

Widowmaker Rookie

Aug 17, 2010
  12. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    heavier but with marginally more hp the 296 owns the 765LT- i said it all along. bring on the ring time. i predict 6:49. 10 sec faster than pista.

Caeruleus11 and ryalex like this.
  13. Not sure "owns" is the right word here, but, yes the 296 is faster than the 765LT.

And it should be, seeing how it's a generation newer.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’ll be shocked if the 296 is quicker than the LT once more tests come up. It certainly didn’t feel that way to me. I’ll have both simultaneously so only one way to find out.

15. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man
    You feel that the McLaren is faster than the Ferrari because the Ferrari has a much more linear engine than the McLaren.

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    To be honest, no. I drove my LT to my 296 drive. The 296 just didn’t feel as quick. There’s a certain level of “omg this is nuts” that the LT has. The 296 just didn’t have it. I’m am, however, VERY impressed with the data the 296 is putting up and I’m looking forward to spending more time with the car hoping I’m wrong.

17. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Make sure you’re in qualifying mode. It makes a difference.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  18. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    I agree...the 296 doesn't 'feel' fast...it misses that aggression that other cars have...it's just very smooth

19. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    you can feel how you like. but numbers don't have feelings.

20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have just been lent a 296 for a long weekend by Ferrari, this is a very homemade video, with no skill!
    I was so impressed with the car, if only I could get in it!

21. Dbkiwi

Dbkiwi Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dylan B
    Cool video! Well done for making it

22. Pastaboy1980

Pastaboy1980 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2023
    Rolling Hills
    Full Name:
    Fra
    i drove the 296 on a track at corsa pilota, super fast 165 on straight that f8 does 150 on. Go see the lap time at magna corse in france

ryalex likes this.
  23. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Nice vid, thanks for posting it!

Could you post a picture of the specs plate? What color is this? Love the color combo!

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It was blue electrico but has gone back now, so sorry cannot post the spec plate

25. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    No worries, thank you for the information!

Is that a special color? I don't see it in the configurator, nor in the option list?