296 Values and Used Market | Page 36 | FerrariChat

296 Values and Used Market

Discussion in '296' started by Mrwatchdawg, Aug 31, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KL runner

KL runner Karting

Jul 25, 2023
    Not in US
    Mmmm for a car that is 25% to 30% less to put on the road it certainly does the job for many.

https://www.caranddriver.com/maserati/mc20

It is only .3 slower to 60 mph than the GTB, and anyway the numbers are just bragging rights , who actually does 0-60 in 2.9 in their GTB ? Most people cruise and enjoy it .

2. cmargosi

cmargosi Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
  3. cmargosi

cmargosi Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    Car and Driver get the 296 at 2.4 seconds to 60. I don't disagree that the numbers are bragging rights, but apples to apples is only fair.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ferrari/296-gtb

ryalex likes this.
  4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
  5. KL runner

KL runner Karting

Jul 25, 2023
    Not in US
    Totally agree with apples to apples , but car and driver achieved their test with Assetto Fiorano , not a standard GTB, which is at 2.9.
    My point is for many that the bragging rights may not be worth 25 to 30 % more , a good used MC 20 is a great buy for many .

For me my GTS is at 10G waiting for 10R hopefully soon or it will get caught in the ‘ Summer shutdown’

6. cmargosi

cmargosi Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    I agree about the bragging rights. Looks like they got a standard GTS at 2.5 though....

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a45559580/2023-ferrari-296-gts-drive/

Regardless, the OP has a 765 sitting in his garage and is looking for a daily to beat on, so the Maserati is a pretty darned good option.

Fingers crossed for you on your car going "R" before summer shutdown. When do they shutdown? How long?

I'm still in the dreaded "waitlist" classification....

7. KL runner

KL runner Karting

Jul 25, 2023
    Not in US
    The normal summer Italian holiday , all of August . If my car is not in a container by Aug 1 , I will get caught . My concern is my car is a 3/4 layer which goes to Zanasi , this adds up to four weeks . I think if I do not go 10 R this week I will miss the boat ……… literally ‘

8. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    "Let's raise our prices so we get the extra $60k for ourselves". And along comes Cmargosi and he's thrilled to get his allocation at MSRP / spec...

It's pretty simple. The market price for these cars has adjusted because Ferrari hiked the MSRP to get the profit themselves vs. leaving it for the 1st buyer, even in times of high demand. There's

Eventually, it will impact resale and probably demand, but neither of those are a problem today. There's more than enough of us lined up to pay MSRP for the moment. And those that were hoping to pay MSRP, drive around a Ferrari to show their friends for 12 months and get out at what they paid or a little more, will find that market isn't there anymore.[/QUOTE]

Ford raised the base price on the Bronco Raptor 20k in 1 year, I think for the reason you mentioned. Keep in mind the original base price was under 70k, but at that time they were flipping for 40-50k over sticker. Today you can pick up a new Raptor Bronco for well under sticker, but availability and price colapse of the pre-owned units makes the well below MSRP new units pretty unappealing.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Straight line, no difference at all between AF 296 and non AF 296. Car and Driver, like all American mags, omits rollout. So it's 2.6 to 60. That's 2.7 second 0-100, which is the metric Ferrari uses. So .2 seconds off factory, which is common for a RWD car as the mags take special prep that the manufacturers won't quote. Any difference whatsoever between and AF and non-AF car in straight line will be due to carbon wheels (which can be had on the non-AF) and stickier tires (which could also be had on non-AF).

FWIW, I think any 296 owner is going to struggle to go well below 2.9 seconds to 62 mph on the street. Best I've ever gotten on the street in my 765 is 2.8 to 62 and 6.9 to 124. Just difficult to put the power down initially without some spin.

RoadRonin likes this.
  10. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I love the look of the SF90XX but wouldn't shell out $1mm like those specs are hitting....

Shack, KL runner and ForeverNA like this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    you would if you could sell it for $2m

pninja005 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  12. I get where you're coming from, but as a daily I really worry about Maserati's reliability, or lack thereof.

13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #888 SoCal to az, Jun 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    You think it’s still an issue? My commute will be 8 miles each way….

14. No idea, and no one really knows given how new the car is.

But having so many lightly used cars on the market, does perhaps say something about reliability.

That said, the number of miles driven per day is less important than how many days you have to drive the car (regardless of the # of miles in each of those days).

Cuz, if the car clunks out on you on any given day, does it really matter if it's on mile 7 out of 8, or mile 7 out of 50? Either way, you didn't get to where you needed to get do.

15. KL runner

KL runner Karting

Jul 25, 2023
    Not in US
    Where I live if you do go to that speed in a suburban street we describe it as 0 to lose your licence !

TheMayor likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think the number available reflects more on how overpriced these were to begin with. But who knows- need to go do a proper test drive at the dealer.

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I know you aren't a Vette man, we've had this convo. But FWIW, I drove an MC20 back to back with my Z06. From a driving pleasure standpoint, particularly sound, the Z06 is far better. I'd definitely want to use the Z06 as a daily before the MC20. And I'd only get a convertible of each version. From that standpoint, the Z06 is probably $50k cheaper which really makes it a no brainer. I know however that you are a brand snob and look down on us Chevy guys :p:D

jm2 likes this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The only reason I would consider a vette is cause I value your opinion and I know you love yours. But with the 765 and 675 LT being so "harsh" I wanted something smoother for a daily driver. Less drama.

on an unrelated note- GMC just called- we had put down a deposit for a Hummer EV a few years back with really no intention of buying one. My car which I put a $100 deposit down is being produced and they are offering up to 8k off incentive as being an early reservation holder. My how times have changed with these POS cars selling for 100k over msrp.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  19. Why not just daily the Hummer EV? Esp. since you only have an 8 mile commute.

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It's not a car we ever intended to get. We put the deposit for snits and giggles years ago. Maybe I should test drive it? The thing is so damn big I dont think it would make it down my parking garage at work.

21. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I just added the newly resigned AMG GT 2 door and have been daily driving it a lot. It is very comfortable and a great daily. It gets a ton of comments and I think they did an amazing job with the redesign. Gas mileage sucks but for an short commute it would be fine Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster, Face76, gabf1 and 7 others like this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That does look good! There's a lot of options for Sam here lol.

NGooding likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It's a good looking car. Lots of options - but considering how quickly I go through dailies- want something that is fun and already depreciated. the new AMG while Im sure is an awesome car- id probably use the 2 year rule for my needs- wait 2 years and buy a low mile example.

For exotics and such- I dont care much about depreciation. I mean I do but it's not the primary factor in purchasing. But if I'm going to have a car 12-15 months- dont want my rear end handed to me for no reason- hence the Maserati is so attractive.

KL runner, NGooding and mkraft3003 like this.
  24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I should clarify- a USED Maserati is so attractive. Sorry for the thread hijack.

KL runner likes this.
  25. cmargosi

cmargosi Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    I have noticed a lot of the Hummers sitting on the dealer lot I pass on my daily commute. I certainly agree that the Z06 sounds great, they did a great job tuning. And the interior is really top notch. I can't see myself in a Vette, else it would be a simple way to save about a year more waiting and $300k.