#2966 at the 2022 FCA Concours | Page 2 | FerrariChat

#2966 at the 2022 FCA Concours

Discussion in '206/246' started by ghenne, Oct 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #26 Nuvolari, Oct 26, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    Deductions all look pretty legit and looking at the photos of the judges (who I recognize) I can say that they were VERY knowledgeable.

A few observations:

- These are the correct tire stems:
    http://dino246blog.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-source-of-inflation-locating-and.html

That said some of the later wheels had smaller stem holes and required a different stem so it is possible that the stem deduction was an error (I can't exactly remember what correct looks like).

- The bumper cap is just sloppy on the part of the plater. Yes it is harder to do the concave but not impossible either.

- Window trim can be metal worked and polished to perfection. It is insanely time consuming but possible (ask me how I know)

- Steering wheel is a Momo Prototipo which was a period available replacement and still available today. The dead giveaway is the lack of leather on the lower spoke. Different to the OEM wheel and a reasonable deduction

- Hose clamps should all be Serflex which have a round slot head on them making them very distinctive looking. New manufacture ones do not have this detail so old stock is your only alternative. They are used in lots of old cars so you learn to start looking all over for clamps

- Seatbelts I think are a reasonable deduction as they are of a significantly different specification to stock. Tires would fall under a similar consideration as you would want to show a car with tires that are at least correct to period and specification

- The trunk switch is readily available but expensive as it is a low manufacture reproduction: https://www.dinoparts.com/en/detail/index/sArticle/20753

- AFAIK all Dino's got safety triangles as part of their delivery even outside of Europe. There are arguments as to which is the correct model but certainly you would want to have one present with your tools.

ghenne, Ken Ivey and of2worlds like this.
  2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #27 dgt, Oct 26, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    George, I think Rob is right and your valve stems are correct... examples from #02750 below with 42yo tires mounted.
    The cap looks slightly different, think the ones below are correct..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    yes, looks correct.....

4. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I received a deduction for my valve stems also that day and can't figure out why either. Maybe the nickel plating came off some of them? Does anyone know of any acceptable reproductions? The ones on Amazon have slight variations in design.

5. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    87Testa, please post a photo or link to the Amazon item you are referring to. There is an easily obtained reproduction of the Bridgeport TR416 (correct one for your car, BTW) that is excellent but not perfect. Still, it should be more than good enough. I cannot imagine the judges have reached a point that they have become this particular. If you are looking to break a tie between two near perfect cars then I could see getting to that level of detail, otherwise I'd be very surprised.

Best Regards,
    Paul

ghenne likes this.
  6. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If you're going to the trouble of un-mounting the tires to fix the valve stems and they're original older style, just have them re-plated... they will look lovely and will have the Bridgeport logo on the inside....
    As Paul said, the currently available new ones are just as good without the logo.

of2worlds, Nuvolari and 87testa like this.
  7. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for all the responses!

Most of the items have an easy or straightforward fix. I'll summarize the ones that I'm still working on. If you have questions on any of the ones I don't mention in this post, don't hesitate to ask me.

8. Window trim is wavy and dented. I believe Rob that it's just going to take some patient work to fix.

11. Steering wheel: I'll order a repro, as Mathias suggested. DinoParts has this one:
    https://www.dinoparts.com/en/parts-accessories/ferrari/dino-246-gtgts/steering-suspension/steering-wheels-more/13847/dino-leather-steering-wheel-m-series-and-e-series

12. Replica Cheney hose clamps not correct: Looks like I have to locate period round head Serflex clamps.

13. Jack: I'm cleaning up the bag with mineral oil and vinyl cleaner. Still looking for the right jack cap.

14. Trunk switch: Thanks to Rob and Jon for pointing out the source of for the bottom part. Anyone have a lead on the top part (that attaches to the lid?)

15. Incorrect seat belts: Reluctantly, I'm going to put the original belts back in. I still have them. You have to agree the racing belts are much cooler looking.

17. Ignition: I'll get a system hidden in a Dinoplex box.

18. Valve Stems: It seems there are two styles of valve stems. The older Bridgeport style (which I think the judges were looking for), and the newer style, as seen in Andrew's picture and on my wheels.

8. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    If you dig around on fchat, someone made reproduction caps since I bought two of them in the past. They're on my two Jack's E series and you can't tell them apart from the originals.

9. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
  10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Sergio Tavares likes this.
  11. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    18. Valve Stems I think we're at a consensus with this. There are two kinds of valve stems: Bridgeport 416 and Michelin aluminum style. The aluminum style appears on cars 2750, 2966 and 36xx. (The last one I've seen, but the owner hasn't chimed in here, so only partial serial number). Mathias and Rob agree as well. Is this true for all E series? There may be no way of knowing when the factory switched over, if in fact, they switched over for all cars after a specific date.

I think the proper standard for judging should be: Are the valve stems correct for the style of wheel? (the new valve stems will not fit on old wheels).

Fun side story: I looked at the date codes on the back of my wheels. 4 were 1971 (as expected), but the spare was 1969 (with a Bridgeport valve stem). Another owner at the same garage I go to had the opposite problem: on his older Dino, his spare was 1971. We swapped spares and both have the correct ones now!

of2worlds likes this.
  12. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Hi. I believe wheels should be date coded to at least match the year of production (or earlier??) . Ex 01296 (a 1971) left the factory in Dec 1970. All 5 wheels dated ‘70 (even though it is a 71 model year)
    Cheers

13. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    That's right. My car is Nov 1971 production, so 1971 for the wheels is as expected.

14. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Perfect

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The older Bridgeport valve stems will not fit on the newer wheels and vice versa as the holes for the tire stems are of a considerably different diameter.

Regarding trading out the spare for one with a matching year that is something I would not have done. Seeing as you have owned your car since the early 80's that wheel would most likely have been the one the car was delivered with new. As already stated any date previous to your production date would be a believable original wheel to your car. By trading you would actually have made your car less original regardless of what some concours judge would think.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  16. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    About a year later, I've dealt with all the issues from the 2022 concours. Here's how they were resolved:

1. Wheel chock missing: replacement found.
    2. Dome light not working: bad contact fixed.
    3. Bumper mounting hardware incorrect: replaced with proper parts.
    4. Front grill mounting/fitment to body is off: fixed.
    5. Headlights are incorrect: NOS Westinghouse 6014 bulbs found in Saskatchewan. $15 for 4! The old lights were better.
    6. Incorrect screws on sill: replaced with slot heads.
    7. Rear bumper end cap is thin and showing copper: rechromed again, good now.
    8. Window trim is wavy and dented: replacement bought from DinoParts.de. Expensive, but fixing the old one would have been worse.
    9. Window trim missing screws: All there now.
    10. Passenger door fit not good: New rubber is still tight. Need to open the driver door before closing the passenger door.
    11. Steering wheel incorrect: I could not find an original: O'Rourke Coachtrimmers in England made an excellent replacement. The old wheel was better.
    12. Replica Cheney hose clamps not correct: I managed to scrounge enough Serflex clamps. Tough to find!
    13. Jack stuck in bag: I softened the bag by cleaning and applying mineral oil. Works OK now.
    14. Missing trunk switches: I found the bottom at Superformance, and found someone to fabricate the top.
    15. Incorrect seat belts: I still had the originals. They have been refurbished and installed. The old belts were better.
    16. Safety triangle is missing: In the trunk now.
    17. Aftermarket Ignition box/system: Proper Dinoplex and coils found and installed. (Updated ignition system is now hidden).
    18. Wheel valve stems are incorrect: The consensus is that the judges got this one wrong, and that my stems are correct.
    19. Missing smog parts: Manifold and valve installed (though still bypassed)

A big thank you to all who helped with advice and parts - this is a great community. The car is looking and running great - time for the next Concours!

17. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    slot screw to be precise!

18. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Sergio Tavares likes this.
  19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    round screwhead too. serflex are now made with a hex head screw. and of course with a slot.

20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Great work. Love seeing a true enthusiast make things right !

My original steering wheel
    Is broken under the leather, no idea why. I bought a new wheel for actually driving from Mister Fiat for very little cost. No idea whether that one will pass muster, but it looks correct to me.

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As an Honors level judge I'd like to comment on the deductions. As a curiosity what was your score?

As far as your belts go. You are correct about the way the rule is written. It leaves a lot open to interpretation. It says "Safety-related items that are not original, but which were added for safety purposes, such as seat belts, fire extinguisher, side view mirror". The word "added" is key. It was intended to apply to EU or early version cars that had no belts or side view mirror. You "Replaced" existing belts. That is the difference. If we allowed unlimited alterations for "Safety" it would include big brake kits, larger wheels and tires for better stopping etc. Can't go there.

As far as your valve stems, It was an improper deduction. I'd carry documentation of their correct use on a 246 and in the future proactively show the judges. Do not be afraid to be an advocate for the car. Ferrari makes changes and based on our current rules even if those were not yet used when yours was produced they could very well have been in period replacements which is allowed. As for removal of the cover of the ignition unit to inspect for the correct unit I would argue against that as well. That to me is no different than removing an oil pan to inspect for the use of Carillo rods which every V12 Ferrari engine on the lawn at Pebble Beach has. We are trying to reign in that type of thing and it will be in next years judges seminar at Road America.

Nuvolari likes this.
  22. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    @Rifledriver - Thank you for your comments. I agree with you: allowing unlimited modifications under the guise of "safety" would open a can of worms. I think the policy (as you state it) is a reasonable solution.

As for removing covers to inspect hidden components, that makes sense (even though I have fixed mine). It might be reasonable to go to that step to rank 3 otherwise identical cars, but I'm not sure it is worth going there.