308 Timing Bearings, Spring and Assemblies | FerrariChat

308 Timing Bearings, Spring and Assemblies

Discussion in '308/328' started by robertgarven, Sep 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #1 robertgarven, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear Freinds,

As many of you know I am wrapping up slowly my 1 year service on my gt4. I had a rear timing belt issue where my timing belt would move about 1/4" after warming up and retuen to the original position when cold. This promoted me to change all tenisoner bearings and both lower inner and outer bearings and belts onlt to have the same thing happen. Many seasoned techs asked me why I was staring at my belts, while others who have guard or other makes cant see them after they are installed. Anyway the belt was moving inwards not outwards and never rubbed on the fences of my original metal pulleys so I did not worry about it.

Since I was doing so much work this time I bought new assemblies, springs, bearings, bolts and the mounts the bearings go on thinking I would install all these new parts and see what happens.

I had a friend press on my bearings as my press is not perfectly square and this was something I did not want to mess up. I immediately noticed a small amount of axial play in both assemblies and assume it would be the same on the ones I removed. When I removed the bearings which have been on over 7 years they were SKF from France and had no play whatsoever. The new bearings were from Ferrari UK and here is a picture of them they say made in Italy but have no brand on them and they have a thinner outer surface.

The next subject is tensioner springs I know we have been talking about when you set the tension but these were much longer than the original ones. The assemblies were much stouter also and the bolt was about 3mm" longer.

I decided to use my original parts, springs assemblies and bolts, but of course will use the new part with the new bearings. Has anyone changed there bearings lately and seen this brand/style or felt the slight axial play. I am not worried as I got them from a reputable dealer, but still curious because of the difference. I did not want to use the longer springs as I assumed that they would put more force on the belts and I have already changed the lower bearings several time and dont want to accelerate that process any quicker. I would appreciate any of your thoughts on the matter.

Sincerely

Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #2 Peter, Sep 11, 2010
    I noticed you said "assemblies" in reference to axial play and not the bearings. If I remember correctly, there would be some slop to them when off the engine, but once they are installed on the engine and tightened up there will be no play in them. The bolt with it's substantial head and the casting which it mates to are all very well machined and will make the belt run true. Granted, there could have been some sloppiness in the machining of the casting which could cause the bearing carrier to be cock-eyed a bit once installed, causing your belt to run off course a bit. If your brother has a fairly large surface plate in his shop, you can check to see how true the surfaces are with that casting. Maybe the bosses on the cylinder head (where the studs are to mount this the casting) are not dead-flat either. That'd be harder to check...

I think you partcipated in that thread here on the subject of tensioner springs around a year ago? In any case, these were the bearings I got from Dennis McCann about a year and half ago. They were considerably of a better quality than the ones I got from Superformance many years ago.

3. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Peter,

Unfortunately the play is in the bearings after being pressed on the shaft of the part not on the assembly total. Although I thought at first the nut would lock them down, I realized that the inner bearing are pressed onto the shaft to tight that even with the nut torqued down it would be the same. I guess the saving grace is the load is not axial on the bearings. I guess this is my bearing problem year!

Should I trash the ferrari ones and try for another set........The ones i took off are similar to the ones you picture........

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Really? What was the condition of the boss/post that the bearing mounts too? Is it scratched/gouged up? I'm sure you have a dial caliper, measure the O.D. of the post/boss and the I.D. of the bearing...

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#5 Ricambi America, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
    SKF changed the design and construction of the bearing. Yours, if they arrived on the new logo packaging that is shown in the picture #1, are the "new" SKF design.

There is considerable uncertainty about whether this change from SKF was driven by engineering or driven by economics.

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #6 robertgarven, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
    The boss post were brand new and are firmly seated on the post the new part even has more strengthening around the base I will take a pic. I think this is a bearing design difference. I used anti seize as you suggested also. Both are exactly the same so I am thinking I did nothing wrong just a different bearing design. I did not look closely at the other side but am disturbed that there is no brand on it however it could be on the the other inner race which I cannot see now. I ordered a large set oif parts from Ferrari UK which got held up by homeland security, wanting to know what I was importing into the US and I spent a few days just getting them cleared from customs which was a hassle! Every part they said, what is this made of ? why are you importing this to the US and so on..... Anyway they came from the horses mouth!

let hope this new design was not from the guy that got fired from FI for his famous gasket retainer modification 10 years ago!! HAAA

daniel can you pull a piece from your stock and see if the numbers and look match up. I still have time to change them but not money to buy new ones!!!!

7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I got a better idea. I'll send you a set of Hill Engineering bearings at no charge. PM me your mailing address, and they'll go out tomorrow morning.

8. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I thought I heard someone saying something about "no charge"

Ok, who's giving stuff away at no charge?? :)

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Daniel,
    As broke as I am I cant accept your offer which is to kind. Most know I am the poorest Ferrari guy out there, but I have such warped priorities, I would probably buy another set if I had to. I am nearing the end of my year plus work and gone over my budget several times. I have had lots of help from many people such as Peter making me a bearing tool and my bother-in-law helping me with my dog bone, Dave bearing with me with my hoses. Since I have bought almost all my parts you are either being to nice or trying to freak me out as I have never been known to not accept ANY Ferrari related anything!

HA

Rob

would you post a pic of them and do you have a OEM set you could post a pic so I can reassure myself these are not from China!

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I am kicking myself right now!!!!

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Daniel, ignore Rob's ramblings and just send him the bearings...

12. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Daniel,

Due to observing and discovering some of this and a little of that, I started and have been doing a fair amount of research off and on for awhile, on SKF bearnings, as SKF is located in my old town (Schweinfurt, Germany). So far, the more I have learned, the more unanswered questions I have and consequently the less I know. :(

Lots seems to be going (has gone) on with those bearings ...... and the maze is difficult to navigate although I have an inside track (friend of a friend sort of thing) at the company. Plus all the outright phonies out there ain't helping.

Exactly which pic above do you refer to as "#1"?

13. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

The picture of a bearing on Ferrari yellow/black blister-pack packaging.

My friend, the more you dig the only worse it will become. Go check out some pictures from a thread I started in 348/355 about "When bad parts..."

14. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #14 robertgarven, Sep 14, 2010
    How come the Ferrari Bearing dont have a manufacturer brand name on them on them????

Daniel Do you have any of these OEM ones in stock can you look at one and see if they match the ones I got? I was reading all this bearing stuff posted on the Hill site. Are there bearing really that good? How come they are so light are they aluminum or plastic?

Rob

Bearing Identification Still Confusing - Legal Action Pending

Markings and labeling of bearings are critical to every End-User & Consumer, but mis-interpretation by some "so-called" bearing manufacturers to comply with simple guidelines continue to escalate.

The argument by many unscrupulous traders say major players eg. SKF, TIMKEN do not fully comply to labeling Standards as a requirement by Law, therefore why should they comply. This is an incorrect assumption.

From recent inspections of distributors stock found that SCHAEFFLER, SKF & TIMKEN complied 100% to the three requirements (1) Part number (2) Brand (3) Country of Origin.

15. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#15 Ricambi America, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    Robert -

The lack of brand name on the bearing you photographed is indeed problematic. One has to wonder why the largest bearing manufacturer in the world would suddenly decide to forego to the industry approved labeling procedures -- that they themselves rigorously enforce in the industry.

"Know thy supply chain".

Take me up on the offer to give you some of the Hill bearings, then send the one you've got to SKF USA for verification. The mouse that roared.

To answer your direct question about the blue-boxed original SKF bearings... I have none. Mike and I threw our last 10-12 into the dumpster early in 2010 when we realized the extent of change between the old (original) SKF ones, and the new SKF design. Personally, I think the new SKF design is a step backwards --- but they didn't consult me, so it's kinda irrelevant. The bearing you have in these photos, I believe, is not even of SKF origin. This isn't the best looking website in the world, and it certainly has a political agenda, but check out: http://www.bearingcode.com/

Phone me at Ricambi, and we can have a more in depth discussion about how/why that bearing probably landed in your garage and looks the way it does.

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #16 Martin308GTB, Sep 14, 2010
    Hello all,

there's a bulletin from SKF, about the design change of their VKM 22380. See below the attached pdf. I have another SKF bulletin about the reasons, WHY they changed the design. But the pdf is too big to post this file here.
    Secondly; the current 'genuine' tensioner bearing from Ferrari is NOT SKF. There are rumours here in Germany about their actual origin. But comments about this on FChat are ' too hot ' for me.
    Thirdly; I have those genuine bearings on my car since around 6 months and they collect a lot of dust and dirt on their surface where the belt runs. Reason. The surface is fairly rough compared to the former genuine Ferrari bearings.
    Rob; mine have no play and slid onto the shaft without problems. I suspect, that the unknown bearing manufacturer doesn't care much about tolerances. Seen similar problems a thousand times on italian car parts during the last few years and currently ended with a catastrophic bearing failure ( propshaft ) on my Alfa Romeo.

Maybe some of you may have recognized, that the genuine Ferrari bearings have become siginifantly cheaper compared with their price around 10 years ago.

I myself will observe how things are proceeding on my car and if in doubt I will replace them with the Hill Engineering tensioners.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

17. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #17 robertgarven, Sep 14, 2010
    Well,

I called Daniel today and talked about these. I am most disturbed by the fact after reading that mandatory practice (see above) is for all bearing manufacturers to list the brand, country of manufacture and part number on every bearing. and on these bearings one of these critical data is missing. Used to be all I had to see was Made in Italy and a red mist would surround me but maybe I am even becoming jaded as I get older. Also the original and Peter's SKF also have some other numbers which i think refer to heat range or tolerance which these do not.

Anyway I came home and pulled them both off. One came apart and the other one stayed intact. I also removed one of my SKF Made in France ones that was on the car for 7 years. The construction seems similar and the new one has a slit bearing whereas the SKF bulletin and I think someone above mentioned they moved to a single inner race on the newer ones. Also the SKF one has a insert of some kind of plastic material where the inner race rides on, whereas the new OEM one is all steel. It also had no markings on the bottom race, but neither did the SKF from France.

Thanks to Peter for the tip for the anti-seize although I had no idea i would be removing them so soon. I have reluctantly accepted Daniels gracious offer after he assured me he was not the Minister of Finance from Nigeria!! HA Anyway to make a long story short I did not feel comfortable with the OEM bearings. I consider the Keith and the guys at Ferrari of UK friends and they have been great over the years and i am positive they think that these are perfectly legitimate parts, however I decided it was not worth taking a chance after working over a year just to have my car grenade. I am wondering if even Ferrari has decided that us 308 guys are bottom feeders and no need to make fancy parts anymore.

However I love my car and it deserves the best and I am hoping that these new fangled Hill bearings live up to there reputation. I have some of their other products and they are of the highest quality.

Thanks to all who have responded, I am not sure this subject is going away!

Rob

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Rob,

what makes me concerned is the fact, that you need a puller to remove the inner ring from the shaft. Mine - ever did, OEM, SKF and all the others - slide on and off by hand.

Any chance to remove the outer ring from the housing to look whether there are any markings on the outer ring ?
    With a help of a lathe, it's easy to turn off the flared edge which hold the outer ring.

Is the ball cage still made of plastics ?

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

19. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    #19 magnum, Sep 15, 2010
    Tanks for all the info/shots Rob.

As far as I know the original design of the SKF BA2B 633340B bearing have two inner races. And I think that must be the same by now. I've attached a cross section drawing from SKF showing that.

There are so many equivalent bearings on other brands like INA, Quinton Hazell, Febi Bilstein, Breda... I will try to post all the part numbers. So if someone can post his experiences with these brands it would be nice. Maybe their quality matches the SKF quality.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think they have always been prone to seperate like that, during assembly???

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #21 Martin308GTB, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
    not any more. See the SKF-bulletin I have attached in one of my previous postings.

Best Regards

Martin

P.S.: sometimes it's hard to repeat each and every thing.

22. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #22 mwr4440, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010

Martin,

From my research, THAT is where things START getting sticky.

Bearings numbered SKF BA2B 633340B and VKM 22380 are NOT the same bearing. The first WAS MADE by SKF. The second MIGHT be made by SKF, or someone else. Sounds harmless ............ BUT .........

It gets worse (MUCH WORSE) from there.

It is a real mess and I admittly DO NOT have a handle on it.

SKF BA2B 633340B IS THE Holy Grail for us. VKM 22380 may or may not be (older is better). The selling arm of SKF and packaging and changing part numbers and changing parts adds to the confusion. A bearing with the first number stamped (lazer etched) but packaged with the second number makes it worse.

Here are other reasons to believe some bearings PICed on this page MAY NOT BE ORIGIONAL SKF MANUFACTURED quality.

I'll stop here. AS you said previously, "TOO HOT FOR ME ON F-CHAT."

Respectfully,

23. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Hey Gang, can or do timing belt bearings make noise when they are about to fail? Mine have about 11,000 miles and 4 years.
    Thanks
    Charles

24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #24 Martin308GTB, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    Sorry Mark, but to make the confusion less;
    VKM 22380 IS a SKF part. There are clones from other companies ( INA, Breda Lorett, etc.,etc. ) and even OEM parts from Opel, Renault, etc.
    But then they wear a different - cross reference - parts no.

VKM 22380 is the no. of the whole tensioner pulley assembly. The bearing itself is no. BA 28633340 B. I have two sets - old design, two inner races - here. An old one I installed 6 years ago and a pair of new ones. Same bearing no.

If some chinese companies make counterfeit pulleys with the same no. it's a different issue.

Best Regards

Martin

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yes they CAN. Sorry, but I think, this is not very helpful :)
    But I wouldn't worry much with 11.000 mls.

Best Regards

Martin