29er's | FerrariChat

29er's

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Scotty, Jul 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I know this was mentioned in the "any MTBers thread", but I thought I'd start a separate place to talk about it. I've rented a 29er a couple of times, and liked the rides so much I just ordered one. Pivot 429, mostly Deore XT spec, but upgraded rear derailleur to XTR and the wheels from the Pivot build kit. Also have to go with a different seat post (I need a longer post--but then, who doesn't), and will likely cut the bars down some.

What are other folks riding? (And does anyone have a tire suggestion for dry granitic sand over hardpack, rocks, and pine needles?)

S

2. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #2 climb, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
    I ride a Giant Anthem X 29er and it is so much better than riding my Felt 26er that I never ride the Felt anymore. You just float over roots and obstacles that you'd otherwise wrestle with. Switching to a Maxxis wide front tire (2.40) and keeping the standard width Maxxis in the rear gives the best combo for agility that I've found.

I tried the stan's tubeless thing that everyone is pushing lately but didn't like it so much. Really should have a sturdy tire for that since you run with lower tire pressure. I guess I'm just used to higher PSI so I went back to tubes. Since I don't do big jumps I like the fork (Fox 29 something) with a soft setting so I can preload just before a root or a log then lift up for a rebound. You'd be amazed at the obstacles you can pop over with this technique.

3. SKXF430

SKXF430 Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    W. Los Angeles
    Pivot is releasing a new carbon 429 and the Tallboy Carbon looks good too. Also, you may want to look into Niner and Specialized.

4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Bought the Pivot. Decided the carbon 429 didn't save enough weight, and the revised geometry lowers the bottom bracket a little bit. Tried Turner, Yeti, 9er and Specialized. I liked the ride of the Pivot the best, although every bike I rode had its good points.

5. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    I tried a few 29er's. I much prefer a 26 inch wheel. I ride cross country with lots of obsticals and tight corners, lots of braking and excelerating. Mostly roots, rock logs and deep ruts. A light 26 inch 2,30 wide tire on Stan's crest rims at 35+ psi provides ample traction. Tubes have become a thing of the past. Any advantage the 29 has is minor in my opinion.

I have also recently upgraded to WD link rear suspension on a an ibis mogo slr wtf build. It has 6 inches of travel. The bike will float over almost anything and still rides stiff with lots of traction almost everywhere. The set up is also incredible efficient. Happy riding.

6. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    Another point about all the parts that make up the bike. I used th think that the drive train was the highlight of any good bike. I have xtr 8 9 and 10 cog bikes. The development of carbon frames, hydraulic disc breaks, no bobbing suspensions has out shinned and advances in the drivetrain. It's now the week link in the bike in my opinion. All of my xtr drive trains require regular service to maintain their microscopic tolerances.

I have heard wonders about the electronic drive trains for road bikes. People are using them with success in mud and wet on cycle cross bikes. I assume electronic system for mountain Bikes is around the corner and am looking forward to it. Anyone hear any news on this front?

7. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    #7 Scotty, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    Not much on electronic drivetrains for offroad that I'm aware of (and I'm not sure they'll help--most just use motors to do the shifting, so the tolerances still count--sensor controlled chain microadjustments are a ways away, I would think). The big rage is 2x10's, but I opted for a triple, both because it is what I am used to on my 26 and because it gives me slightly more gears to choose from.

As far as 26 vs 29--I have a Pivot Mach V and a Titus Switchblade (5" and 4" of travel) running tubeless--both of which I think are fantastic. I don't think I will like the 29er better for everything, but it is both a different ride and a different experience. It's like cars--I can like driving several different cars--same thing here. I end up riding the same trail system on 70% of my rides, so this will give me some variety.

8. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    Makes sense on the 26 vs 29 front. I have been riding 26 for over 20 years which is part of my hesitation.
    Concerning the drive train, I am hoping Shimano does release an electronic version. The elimination of the mechanical shifter and cable should allow the system to maintain shifting tolerances better. The mechanics will not attribute to poor shifts. The electronic derailure will hopefully be more robust than the current series. It may also be easier to diagnose shifting problems. I had a shifting problem with 9 speed xtr. We changed the shifter, then the cog and chain and finally the derailure. It was the derailure causing the mis shifts although it appeared to fine. The electronic system may not be sensor operated but it should easier to maintain.

As far as 2 by 10 vs 3 by 10. I replace the big ring with a rock ring.

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'm all for better shifting. Though my new bike has an XTR rear, my other two rides have SRAM's and short of an occasional tweak of the barrel adjuster they have had NO service, NO adjustments, and have been going strong for years. I've been riding MTB's since 1987. I still have a Nishiki Alien (the first elevated chainstay bike, which was a way to deal with chain suck) that has one of the original Rock Shox front suspension forks on it. I occasionally use my big ring, so I keep it on and consider it a disposable piece.

Have fun riding.

10. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    Nishiki Alien with original rock shox, very cool.

I have an early 90's Rocky Mountain Blizzard that has been rebuilt several times. Still ride it.

11. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I just sold my Jamis Dakar XC Pro and am in the market for a 29er. I've tried a couple out and at 6'4" they seem to be a better fit. Prices seem to have gone way up since the last time I was buying a bike so I'm going to go the used route I think. Looking for something under $2k so let me know if anyone comes across a good deal on an XL 29er.

12. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I just ordered my Specialized 2013 HardRock Sport Disc. Looking forward to picking it up this week. 29" with lockout capable front forks. Wife surprised me with it to continue my weight loss/cardio effort.

13. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I met a guy today riding the Specialized Carve 29. He was 6'7" and riding the XX frame. Bought for 1500 out the door. Nice light bike. He was a heavy dude, not a bean pole....said he dogs th bike out and has been very satisfied. The Carve is now the point between the RockHopper and Stump Jumper along with the lighter frame.

14. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    ^ Thanks I'll have to check that out. There's a Specialized dealer near me.

15. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

#15 norcal2, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I built up a new tall boy XL this spring, with xt/xtr components..total ended up around $5500.. didnt go with the LT model..as I already have a Ventana X-5 all mountain bike I may move to something else..as MTB riding is becoming tougher on my knee...I go to Interbike every year in Vegas and I ride all the new models..so far the TB was the best fit for me, ill see about this year..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Giant's Maestro system is what sold me on the Anthem.

17. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I had a tallboy frame on order and they ran out of stock. So it's back to the search again. I have a full XT drivetrain and brakes ready to go.

18. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Had some issues getting my Pivot. Finally have it, and some rides under my belt. And, I have to say, I just don't get it.

Loop I ride all the time. My best time (pushing hard) on my 26er is an hour and two minutes. First ride on that loop on the 29er, being lazy, stopped to adjust the rebound on the fork, time was about 51 minutes. Felt so pumped I rode the loop again--second time was about 55 minutes. Different ride--similar results.

I have no earthly idea why I am so much faster on the 29er. My 26er is a Pivot Mach 5--good bike, good components, etc. All rides are cross country plus, but not all mountain.

Wild amazing good time, and compared to the 29ers I've rented, the Pivot just kicks tail.

19. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I know of others who are quicker on a 29 but some riders are about the same time on either a 29 or 26er. I suppose some of it depends on the type of trail terrain.

So I ended up with a Niner Rip9, I've only ridden it around on the road so far but I can tell I'll enjoy it on the trails.

20. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I was at Interbike in LV last week in the outdoor demo days I rode a bunch of new 650-27.5 bikes...I think that will be my new direction..really like the Intense carbine..and Jamis for full suspension bikes...many of the MFR's arent going in 650-27.5 direction...I like the feel and quickness in technical stuff..better then my Tallboy 29er and more stable then my 26 Ventana's...