2V -XR700 question | FerrariChat

2V -XR700 question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by absostone, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I’m experiencing a high idle depending on how the car is slowed down to a stop. Is there advance weights that could be sticking?
    On searches I saw that the people have installed the pickups in one dizzy 45? Degrees apart iirc. Mine has a pickup in each dizzy. Any ideas?

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I have done nothing to the dizzys in 18 yrs ownership. Don’t know anything about the parts inside

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ive found install instructions online and it seems on the twin dizzy it would be ran as two four cyl. engines. which explains why there is a trigger in each dizzy at the moment. no mention of advance weights or anything in the directions.

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    so im thinking the weights are under the plate where my points used to be, inside the body closest to the bolt holes. correct?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The two pick-ups are mounted 135 physical (mechanical) degrees apart if mounted in one distributor (this gives an electrical separation of 45 degrees).

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    understood. im thinking I may have a stuck advance. High idle when I stop at a light as it warms up. ill check the cold start spring tomorrow. But the carbs and dizzys were rebuilt 1.5 yrs ago and it was running fine . but last year late summer this started to happen. Thx for reply

7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have worked on many of these and yes, sticking advance will do this. I use a Sun distributor machine to verify all of my distributor tuning. I can run them for you and advise from there.

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    thx for the reply. seems the only way I can get it to go down when this happens is to let out the clutch and bog it down. today ill check and make sure nothing is sticking with the carbs, but reviving it doesn't lower the idle.
    As ive never played with the dizzys, the only way to get to the advance mech. is pull the dizzys. engineering

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ok starting with basics ill check timing. Question is can the timing light be powered with the coil? I don't have a spare battery or 20 ft cables to reach battery.

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok an observation: I hear a whirling sound from the clutch, I push the clutch in and the sound goes away and the rpms raise up 100-200? rpms. then if I rev the engine the rpms stay higher than 1000 upon letting the clutch out the rpms go down. in otherwords clutch inrpms up, clutch out rpms drop. Clutch dragging I would think?/?

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Check your floor mats...seriously. I had this issue and found the floor mat on my 308 had slid forward and was holding the gas pedal down, very slightly. I bought some double sided velcro adhesive tape and fixed it right up. ;) edit: I see you've owned the car for 18 years, so very unlikely your problem.

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    thx but that's not it. I know that can happen