3.2 Can't Hold idle sounds like a cylinder missing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

3.2 Can't Hold idle sounds like a cylinder missing

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Apr 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The fuel distributor head has a diaphragm in it which cracks with age, you can get a repair kit for about £50 and a diy job. A man i know had problems with a mondial cutting cylinders out and blackened plugs, rough running, backfiring etc. Once repair kit fitted it ran fine.
    The idea of checking dip stick is to check if unburnt fuel going past pistons into sump oil- his was so bad sump was coming up. If its split it alters the equal fuel delivered to the injectors.
    Look on e bay for kit as used on volvo, id plate on side of distributor head to get correct part. Its bosch so parts are about but not from ferrari

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Swapped out the protection relay, no change.

Car will crank, start, runs well for about 10 seconds, then stumbles like a cylinder is not firing, exhaust has strong gas smell, will stall out if I let it.

I am going to remove the rear bank distributor and rule out any problems with those wires, cap. Really seems like a cylinder is not running.

Perhaps the crank sensors? The 10 oclock one looks like no fun to access and replace. Any way to test them verses just replace?

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That does not prove that the protection relay is working -- even a "good" protection relay needs the correct signals coming into it to close properly. Did you measure the voltage between terminal 87 and terminal 31 at the protection relay with the protection relay plugged in and the engine running?:

If +12V = then the problem is elsewhere.

If not +12V = then you need to investigate the signals coming into the protection relay: the voltage between terminal 30 and terminal 31 should always be +12V (even with key "off"), and the voltage between terminal 15 and terminal 31 should be +12V when the key is "on".

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I've had 1 cylinder drop from a bad plug wire. Smell of unburned fuel, but the motor idled pretty good. I've had 1 bank go out from a faulty coil assembly, but the motor ran pretty good. It essentially became a 4 cylinder. Drives okay, just down on power. It sounds like you've got a fault affecting more than 1 cylinder.

Do the starting fluid test. Isolate to ignition or injection. Then start looking at components.

Also, don't overlook the possibility of a vacuum leak. I had a hose come off the AAV once. Big vacuum leak = rough running.

5. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I went through this very same thing, heard the same clunk sound then poor idle.......I am still not out of it.
    What I do know is this:

Had good cylinder compression pressure and funny fuel pressure

1. we chased the distributor, wires, coils and ignition modules. All replaced, no change
    2. we chased a bad fuse panel. Has it completely rebuilt and charred connections replaced, no change
    3. we chased fouled plugs. All replaced, no change
    4. we chased the over - voltage protection relay feeding the ecu. Replaced it, no change
    5. we chased the ecu. Put a known working ecu in its place. No change
    6. we chased the o2 sensors (sending the wrong voltage to the ecu) Replaced it, no change
    7. we chased the frequency valve. Existing unit is buzzing. I bought a new unit off ebay but have not installed it.

At this point there was bad cylinder compression pressure and gas leaking out of the exhaust system and gas in the oil lube system. Obviously we tried running it too much and the unburnt gas made its way around the piston rings, washing the oil out and diluting the oil.

8. we are in the middle of having the engine completely rebuilt down to the block. All cams, heads, valves removed. We did a complete valve job with new valve seals, I had 8 custom made pistons made, being installed now. The old original pistons had black crusty carbon build-up on the surface.

I am in it too far now to turn back. The mistake we made was not having the fuel distributor and warm-up regulator re-built before jumping into No.8... I could not talk my mechanic into it. This would have removed the fuel pressure problem from the equation. (I had just replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and accumulator a few months before)

I started to educate myself on the Bosch CIS fuel injection system and found many pdf on the web. From my understanding if the fuel pressure reading is low, then the CIS system will flood the engine. Opposite of what you would think. I think running engine cleaner / Sea Foam loosened up some ethanol buildup and clogged the system which puts the frequency valve into overdrive, flooding the engine. I may be wrong but I hope some of the variables can be ruled out from my experience.

9. If I could do this over I would have rebuilt the fuel distributor first. To my knowledge there are only 2 people that do this in the USA. Dont try to do this yourself. The fuel distributor is full of small diaphrams and springs. You need to call Larry Fletcher, CIS Flowtech in Mobile, AL. (251) 929-3771. The re-build cost is $550-$600

I will never know if this was the real problem. We have now sent my fuel distributor to Larry and it is ready to be installed in a completely rebuilt 1985 Ferrari Mondial 3.2

I have many supplier names and numbers for the items discussed if you want to short circuit the research element. Hope this helps.

6. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    the symptoms are also similar to those of a leaking cold start injector. As the pressure increases when you activate the fuel pomp, so does the leakage. It's a simple check. My 3.2 is also a Swiss KE3.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Te the overhaul of the fuel distributor head- only seen this done once but very simple diy job. Just let off the banjo bolts and fit the overhaul kit containing the diaphragm, springs etc. Or find yourself a Volvo engineer as used on their cars.

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks for all the ideas. First I am going to inspect the more obvious things and make sure something simple is no the problem.

Having taken off and inspected the front dist and wires, now doing the same with the rear bank. All is in order, proper continuiuty and resistance at each wire and the coil wires.

Took off the rear tach sensor. The one I have in my "inventory", is a Marelli SEN8D, the one off the car is SEN8F. Is the 8D the correct one for the 10 oclock sensor on the front facing part of the engine? Is the 8F one no longer available?

9. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    I don’t know whether the following will help, but —

My ‘83 QV had the little sample tubes until I had them removed and holes plugged 3 years ago. Recently, one of those plugs in a header came out - with resultant loud popping and severe loss of power. Limped home.

I know your car doesn’t have the sample tubes - but my guess is that if you have a cracked head or some small leak in it - even though you haven’t got all the noise - perhaps that is the problem.

I’ll leave it to others to say whether that could be it, or not. Best wishes, SG

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #35 moysiuan, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Well, I think I solved the problem, I replaced the tachimetric sensor, and the car seems to idle fine. I need to drive about to be sure it is not just an intermittant issue which appears to have been solved.

When the car started and idled for a few seconds before sounding like cylinders not firing, that probably meant the car starts with some default setting and then quickly picks up the sensor readings, and with a failing sensor the computer doesn't know what to do. The old sensor has the same resistance reading as the new one (about 70 ohms) so it is not obvious that the sensor has failed. This was the 2 oclock sensor. The front TDC sensor looks really hard to get at, I have ordered another one for that but not sure how I can reach it. I presume if one sensor has failed the other can't be far behind?

11. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I forgot to mention the crankcase sensors. We replaced both. The crankcase and the TDC sensor. The mounting plate doesnt fit anymore and we had to machine them to fit. Same Maranelli SEN8D. No change in my motor......If thats the issue, you are lucky!

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Put a meter on the connections and give it a tap on the work bench, see if the meter changes re bad connection

13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Well, I spoke to soon, the problem has persisted, even though the crank sensor replacement seems to have been helpful. The car is obviously running rich, black smoke, idle hunting a bit, but holding better than before. Back to checking things over again, looking at some of the other suggestions here.

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Samoe old problem. Now the car won't start. But if I pull the fuel pump fuse, the car starts and runs breifly til the fuel is used up. Put fuse back in, car starts but will not hold an idle, gas smell, etc.
    Measure 13.67 volts, while running poorly. Is that too high or within the spec of a charging battery voltage.

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #40 Steve Magnusson, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    That's OK (if you mean you measured the protection relay output 87-to-31 or the red wire at the anti-evaporation valve -to- ground). Whenever I say "+12V", I really mean "whatever the voltage is at the battery is doing" -- so a good result could be as low as about +10V during starter motor cranking or as high as +14.5V if running with the alternator spinning well.

Have you removed the cold start injector to confirm that it is not wrongly always spraying a lot of extra fuel into the intake plenum? It can do this with either an electrical fault causing it to wrongly stay open or a physical fault inside the cold start injector itself. First test would be to just unplug the electrical connector of the cold start injector -- if no change in the bad behavior, then you'd need to unbolt the cold start injector from the intake plenum (and place it to spray into a jar while blocking the open hole in the intake plenum with some tape) so that you can visually verify whether any fuel is leaking out the end or not. Fuel should only come out during the first second, or two, of starter motor cranking.

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Thank you Steve, yes I measured at the anit-evap to ground.

My cold start injector is on the back of the plennum and really hard to get the connector off. I will give it a go.

But I am still leaning towards something electrical, I swapped the rear bank coil for a good one, no change. I put a timing light on the rear bank plug wires, and was getting errattic flashes, and sometimes none. Maybe my Dad's old timing light is not working great, but the car was obviously barely able to idle, and spewing lots of fuel out the exhaust. I have checked the dist cap wires and such, maybe I have a bad rotor or cap, I am not sure how to really check that. There was proper continuity and resistance on each wire through to the extenders. Gong to take the cap off again, sigh, and reseat the spark plug wires, etc.

17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I would still do the starting fluid test. This will quickly eliminate the ignition system as faulty, if you can get a good idle.

If you think the fuel mixture is off, you can compensate by moving the air vane with you fingers. E.g. if you had rough running from a vacuum leak, pressing down slightly on the air vane will compensate and return a smooth idle. Pulling up slightly on the air vane will compensate for an overly rich mixture. This is not a permanent fix of course, but helps point you in the right direction.

18. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    So I disconnect the cold start injector, no change. Since I had to access the front bank, I used my timing light, and found some front bank wires not giving spark (or at the least not giving timing light flashes).

If I am not getting spark on select front and rear bank wires, intermittantly, and my coils, wires, rotors and distributors are good, what is left to cause that type of ignition problem?

I did change the tach sensor, and thought that solved it. But after a half hour test drive the same problem recurred. Could it be the crank sensor? If not that, what else could it be? Is there some way tell if the ECU is the problem?

Spice, I don't have any starting fluid, and the stores are closed for this in Toronto. I pushed downvery slightly on the plennum (is that what you mean by the air vane), the car stalled.

This is getting very discouraging....but thanks for the help!

19. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Air vane is the plate in the mixture control unit (fuel distributor). You access it by taking off the air filter box. If the car stalls pressing down, you likely don't have any vacuum leaks.

Lack of spark would definitely cause the rough running and fuel smell. Usually it's just one bank though, and you can swap the coil assemblies to test.

The coil assemblies have a little black electronic module on them that go bad. It would be odd for both to go out at the same time. The common component would be the Microplex. You would have to swap this to test it.

Intermittent problems a lot of times are from bad electrical connections. Try and remove all of the ignition system connectors and spray contact cleaner.

I got replacement distributor caps from Superformance, and the holes for the plug wires were not deep enough for the pins to make contact. Had to drill them out a bit. Make sure the caps don't have any hairline cracks, or evidence of arcing. If some wires fire consistently, and others do not, I would think the problem is right there.

My Ferrari crank sensors are stock from new. Never had a problem with them.

I had a problem with a Ford 4.6 Mustang where it would intermittently lose power, and stall. Cleaning the crank sensor connector fixed the problem. This is a common problem on that motor according to some owners.

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You seem to be sort of wishy-washy on this. Confirming if you really do, or don't, have proper spark at each cylinder needs to be determined before worrying about anything else.

This attached pdf file of Service Bulletin 80-28 describes the electrical measurements to confirm/deny if the Microplex ignition ECU is working correctly on a Mondial 3.2 (and testarossa), but it requires a special interconnection test box to be able to make the measurements with everything plugged in, or you have to dig in to the Microplex harness connector to get to the backside of the pins:

Attached Files:

moysiuan likes this.
  21. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I am not getting spark at certain cylinders on both the front and rear banks, but it is intermittent and some cylinders miss on and off as I am doing the checking with the strobe timing light on each lead. The engine is spewing unburnt fuel out the exhaust while doing this. I am wishy washy as it is quite hard to keep the engine actually running long enough to be able to check for spark on each cylinder. But as best as I can tell, both banks have some random cylinders missing, and it runs extremely poorly like you would expect if that is happening.

I have changed out one of the coils with a known good one, and no change, so its not the coils. The coils were new in the last couple of years, so I would not have expected them to fail, but have ruled that out. I would suspect the cap, rotor, wires but I am measuring missed sparking on both banks, and some of cylinders miss, then others, so it is not like there is one or two obvious cylinders not working.

So with spark being the problem, what else other than the TDC sensor failing, or the ECU itself would be a cause? Would a fuse board problem have anything to do with spark, from my reading I would expect it would cause a fuel pump or no start condition, not the intermittent spark problem I appear to have.

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, not much involvement of the fuse-relay panel with the ignition except supplying +12V to terminal 15 of the coils and to run the Microplex ECU.

When you say "I have changed out one of the coils with a known good one" do you mean a different coil with a different power module, too?

23. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #48 moysiuan, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Yes, I proactively replaced the coils (with new power modules) with new Magnetti Mareli ones a couple of years ago. The old coils/modules were working fine at the time and I was just changing them for preventative maintenance. In this instance I just swapped one of the old ones in to test if one of the new ones had failed. I checked the plug wires for spark with my strobe and had no change, ie. the missing continued with either coil in place, so I have ruled out the rear bank coil (and related power module) as being the problem.

I am down to the TDC sensor, the ECU, (maybe the O2 sensor) as the only other things I can think of that would cause misfiring of such severity.

The wierd thing is after all this testing I did the fuel pump fuse removal to crank the engine for some added spark tests without dumping more raw fuel, but the engine started and appeared to run smooth very briefly, just before it would run out of fuel I put the fuse back in and the car immediately regressed to the misfiring and raw unburnt fuel spewing symptoms. This is also why I am wishy washy about it being spark, I would be certain it was spark as the issue to solve for but for this anomoly.

24. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Remove one of the misfiring wires at the plug. Attach a new plug to that wire, and lay the plug on a metal engine part so it's grounded. This way you can see what the spark looks like at the plug.

25. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Did you not read my post? I am telling you that my 3.2 went through the very same thing. Look at my list ......I spent the money chasing every electrical issue, every sensor, computer, o2 sensor, coils, ignition sensors, new distributors etc, etc.

At this point, Your engine almost feels like it has a timing issue, with misfires, right?.

First, You need to change the oil in the engine because at this point you have washed out the oil at the rings and gas is entering the oil sump. The gas will dilute the oil and thin the viscosity and you will get bad wear on the valves and piston rings.

You also need to be careful burning up your catalytic converter. While the car is running, look and you will see it may be glowing red.

You need to have the fuel distributor rebuilt. Its clogged with ethanol debris or one of the rubber diaphragms has a split in it. I included the name and number of the best CIS mechanic in the USA. Unless you want to have the entire motor rebuilt, like I did, Here is my show & tell!.

I have uploaded a CIS manual that I found online

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files: