3.2 Mondial cam seals | FerrariChat

3.2 Mondial cam seals

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by greatscott73, Sep 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Will be dropping the drivetrain in my 87 Mondial this winter to do belts, and to try and stop a rather stubborn oil leak on one of the camshaft seals on the front bank. Since its a cab, I'm not sure you could do it in the car, but doesn't look like fun.
    My concern is what cam seals to buy and which to avoid. Seems I have read in the past that some of the available seals aren't great at doing the job. I'd prefer not to do this twice, so any advice appreciated.

moysiuan likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The seals provided by Ferrari and probably others are directional and should be used. I just redid a Mondial serviced by another shop that was leaking profusely and had a soaked belt. It had been redone by them at least twice and all manner of things were tried to make it stop.
    When I got it apart it had directional seals but the wrong direction. Ferrari uses left and right directional seals in different motors. The supplier did not know the difference.

There are TSBs on reducing the chance of oil leakage and all should be performed.

moysiuan and greatscott73 like this.
  3. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Thanks Brian. Very enlightening and informative, as usual.