3.4L GTSi build | Page 4 | FerrariChat

3.4L GTSi build

Discussion in '308/328' started by Newman, Apr 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    ATSAaron, Michael Call and bos2004 like this.
  2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Driving experience, its great! It winds out nicely and climbs hills in 5th at low RPM effortlessly. Its how it should've been when it rolled off the line.

There's always been the concern of cam selection and CIS and I can tell you that the cams ferrari chose dont make sense to me. They're way too conservative and not chosen to keep the CIS happy or emissions in my opinion. I set this car at 250PPM HC because even with stock cams they run better at 250 than 200 like the spec tells us to set them at. Could I hit 200PPM with these performance cams? Absolutely if I wanted it to pass an emission test.

Bottom line, CIS cars work with cams you wouldn't think they would tolerate.

Im going to compare the driving experience to an 87 328 I have here now vs this 3.4L 2 valve car.

3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Perhaps I simply missed this, but what crank and what bore size did you use so to get up to 3.4 liters?

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    360 modena crank

5. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Stock 81 mm piston bore?

6. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Dear Renaissance Paul (English wheel and wine...!), I am among those who think CIS a very elegant system. Do you have to tweak the WUR or change injector size to get the fueling right for the increased displacement? Best as always, John

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I had the WUR tweaked anticipating the need for more fuel BUT with the increased displacement (air volume) the sensor plate will move to a further position that will deliver more fuel at any given RPM. Thats the beauty of the system. I read up many years ago about a guy that added a wedge in the airstream that tricks the sensor plate by altering airflow in the cone, I reached out to him and had an interesting conversation about the results. I didn't do that here but its good to know you can mess with it if you spend the time. If I wanted more out of this 2 valve engine we could've maximized head and intake air flow like I did with the QV 3.4 I built.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    After a back to back test drive today of an 87 328GTS and this 81 GTSi I can say without a doubt that the 3.4 2 valve version has more torque and pulls longer through each gear than the 328 does including 5th.

stoked_7 likes this.