3 year cam belt service - such a waste | Page 5 | FerrariChat

3 year cam belt service - such a waste

Discussion in '360/430' started by cgfen, Apr 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Another cambelt thread where nobody listens and nobody convinces anybody else. We actually should not care how someone else maintains their cars. Just make sure we do not buy one from some owners.

randkin, Raconteur, E60 M5 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Stupidity spreads like a virus. Tired of showing Ferrari owners the door because they read threads like this and believe some of the garbage. I won't sign on to maintain a car at that level.

Here is an F40 fuel bladder from a car whose owner didn't replace them as called for. You should see what the deteriorated foam did to the fuel system.

Going to be expensive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Samiare and bellwilliam like this.
  4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Please do

5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    More reality to add to my fellow mod's comment. Rifledriver doesn't have to come here. He doesn't always contribute and he usually doesn't sugarcoat things. That can come across as objectionable to relatively recent users that are not used to being taken lightly after they scored a life goal of owning a Ferrari and who are probably Type-A personalities. However, when he does contribute, he knows what he's talking about, and when he calls ********, it's usually because someone is more concerned about their ego than actually listening to him. There's no reason why he should have to waste time convincing someone they're wrong when it's about their ego and not about what's actually correct. There are a dozen or more experienced Ferrari techs that used to post here many years ago. They stopped posting because of the exact same behavior of low-experience Ferrari owners DIY-ing a few times and thinking they knew all the answers. Everyone likes to think they're an expert, but most aren't. Why would a Ferrari tech bother to fight and argue with that day after day? Most won't bother and they've moved on (to a private forum here). Rifledriver is one of the few that haven't, but after 15 years of know-it-alls, it's no wonder he has no patience for them. If you don't like his manner, put him on ignore. But if you actually listen to him, he might save you some money.

Jaymac, f355spider, hessank and 5 others like this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have a customer with an 2001 360..belts are original..coming up to 19 years..he is holding out for 20..multiple ferrari owner, daily is a Rolls Ghost..money is no object. He is "conducting and experiment" his words..not mine.

Does his fluid changes etc..yes its leaking oil from the valve covers and it drips coolant from the water pump when cold..he doesn't care. To him, it's a throw away car. Although, with 50kms on it, he seems to enjoy driving it..yes he also drives it in the winter when the roads are clear..

espvh, bellwilliam and Zed82 like this.
  7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Let me know when his engine grenades...might be looking for a few parts...

2cam likes this.
  8. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #108 2cam, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    I recently had Brian do a belt service and a few other items on my car. I could have done the job myself. However, I chose to go with Brian due to his level of knowledge of Enzo-era Ferraris. More than anything, I wanted his eyes on the car. Not so much for the belt service, but to ID things that I would have missed myself by not having his decades of experience working on these cars. He did indeed ID a few items that needed to be addressed (nothing major fortunately) that I would have missed and helped to prioritize those projects. So, it was money well spent in my mind.

As for shop labor rates, I guess it comes down to what you're actually getting. I work in IT services and typical rates for the work that we do is $250 plus an hour. The rates occasionally drop into the $200 range but can also be as high as $600 per hour depending on the project. We charge those rates due to our level of knowledge and the expertise that we bring. Our customers use us for projects that they're not able to competently do themselves or if they don't have the bandwidth to handle them. We're not usually engaged for commoditized tasks and projects.

I view shop rates for individuals such as Brian the same way. Experienced techs can justify the additional cost for those tasks that can't be commoditized due to their level of knowledge. An ASE-certified mechanic can probably provide most of your service needs at rates that are less than $100 an hour. However, would you trust the same person to know enough about the ins-and-outs of specialized systems and major components on specialized cars such as these to do ALL the work on your car? I guess that's up to each individual owner to decide.

2cam

9. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Here are pics of a car i just purchased. While the car was in for the PPI i decided to buy it. The car is local to me and the shop is only a mile from my office. I wanted all fluids/oils changed. For a few dollars more, might as well get the belts done (cam and accessory) . Whether needed or not, It gives me a maintenance baseline. I was told belts are only 3-3.5 years old and less than 1000 miles. Kinda looks true (to the eye at least).
    Most high performance cars have a more rigid and frequent maintenance schedule. Is Ferrari's over kill? maybe, maybe not. I do know enough people have bought into it, so values can be affected. I'll probably do all fluids myself going forward. and belts every 3-5 years is not going to kill me.

Attached Files:

10. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I honestly don't think he will lose the engine. I have at our request pulled the belt covers to have a look at the bearings and belt tension. All seems good (as far as the eye and a few tension checks can tell). I have repeatedly told him to change the belts while we were in there..and a fat no was the answer.

He has promised he will change the belts they day the car turns 20. I think it will survive. But then again, I have been wrong before. All we can do is wait.

12. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    f355spider, 360trev and Rifledriver like this.
  13. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I do mine every 4 years regardless....I'll stick with Brian and his suggestions...

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree. The Scuderia is a great car but the Stradale is special.

E60 M5 and 360trev like this.
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Replace the left bank tensioner.

16. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A result of ethanol or just age?

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Age.

18. andytr

andytr Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    Leeds
    Full Name:
    Andy Murray
    Not really the same cost unless I decide to skip the belt change for 20 years. Rebuild is min £10k, belt change is £1.5k every 3 years...and math.

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Skipping that the post you quoted isn’t related to the comment... The “about the same cost” quoted a post saying it costs about $2000 for belt service in the UK. That is a about the same as here.
    I think you are confused or one martini too far ;)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

20. andytr

andytr Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    Leeds
    Full Name:
    Andy Murray
    Ahha, yes that makes sense now! Apologies.