458 - 30 Track Days! | FerrariChat

458 30 Track Days!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wthensler, Sep 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Just concluded five track days at Watkins Glen in Upstate NY with FCA and Chin Racing. The final day was a bit wet and foggy, probably the worst weather I’ve been out in so far.

Sebring, Homestead, VIR, Pocono, Concours, Road Atlanta, FIRM, and WGI - all in the 458 - which is been bullet proof on track.

I’ve earned my stripes through countless hours of instruction. Each time out I get a bit better and my set up improves. Trail braking, passing off line, late apexing, setting the wheel - it all comes with time and experience. There’s a lot to learn when doing HPDE.

The 458 is really a pleasure to drive on track - lively, responsive, great sound, and overall a lot of fun!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso, Rexcat458, mdrums and 3 others like this.
  2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nice! I've only done one day on track in the 458 but it was just giddy fun! So much more power than the cheaper to run racecars I've driven! Not as much grip on street tires but manages to stay pretty flat in the corners. Keep having fun!

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Great stuff. I think I only have 8-10 in a 458 and 3 in the F12 and the rest in the porsche. So far it has been very inexpensive to run as its so darn bullet proof.

4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Nice! I miss track days. I got into it heavily in 2005 with many various Porsche’s. My last time was Sebring Nov 2019. I got a little burnt by then as I was doing 10-15 events a year and instructing. I should of continued in racing.

5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    William you have balls of steel. Track day in the wet, real wet, is even something I’m not ready for!!

How did the Kumho PS91 tires perform in the wet on track? What was the experience like? Any sliding or hydroplaning under braking 94 hard cornering?

You’re the man.

I’ve got Summit Point this Friday.

6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    John, I always knew I’d encounter rain at some point. WGI is quite a trek from FL, so I was determined to drive all 5 days regardless.
    I had the lead instructor from Chin with me part of the time. You actually have more grip than you think.

Kumhos are great in the rain, though I did slide out of T9 a few times (ponding), not fun at all as it’s the tightest corner and surrounded by walls!

Summit Point is on my bucket list for next year, as well as Barber, Pitt, Ozark, COTA and Laguna (I may rent a track car and fly out). Like @mdrums said, it is time consuming!

I’m not quite done this year - I’m concluding with Atlanta, Lime Rock, Daytona and Homestead. I plan to track the STO at Daytona.

I hope folks here will see that the 458 is an incredible car on track, and not in the least bit fragile. I’ve run mine quite hard (all nannies off) under all conditions and it has been an unexpected thrill and wonderful experience! It has increased my respect for the brand.

With the exception of the occasional Ferrari, you’re the only one I see out there on a consistent basis. Maybe this’ll convince others. As I always say, if you want to know, you gotta go!

Il Tifoso likes this.
  7. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    Did you track on stock CCB and stock brake pads ? What advice do you have in terms of settings was it in race mode or CT off ?

I am curious to know if stock setup and race mode can sustain a few track days or I need to change pads to get longer life

8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I eventually changed out of the ceramic rotors and pads to Girodisc steel. They are heavier but provide a high degree of trail braking, better for turns, etc. Pads last me 3-4 track days, depending on hard braking. Some tracks are tougher on brakes (Sebring, WGI) than others.

I was burning through rear pads pretty quickly at first, but have learned to run with Esc Off. The csr is livelier with all Nannies off, but it is no longer impeded coming out of turns, so out quicker.

You should be okay with stock set up and race mode - just keep an eye on the pads, especially the inside rear passenger side.

9. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    Thanks for this information. I have been hesitant going to the track due to this reason.

10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    No, don’t be hesitant! The 458 is far more robust trackside than most would give credit to.

The fun factor has provided orders of magnitude more excitement and pleasure than the minor expenses associated with tracking.

I can pretty much guarantee mine’s set the record for fluid changes, brakes, tires, alignments, etc (though there is at least one person here who actively tracks his 458).

Been quite a wonderful experience.

mdrums likes this.
  11. ml65

ml65 Karting

Jun 22, 2009
    Farmingdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Mike L.
    Any damage to the paint? What kind of prep do you do to protect the finish? I had PPF on the front half of my 430 that I tracked a few times, helped a lot, looks like race tape on the front?

12. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I use Track Armour. Bought a roll of 12”x100 feet on Amazon. Works perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    No damage, but my PPF is starting to show its age. There are a few blemishes on the hood as one would expect.

At Watkins it poured the last two days. I used up all the Track Armor and switched to race tape, but the track wasn’t hot enough anyway to generate the infamous rubber marbles. Whatever is used, it needs to come off carefully once done.

This weekend I’m at Road Atlanta where it’s perfect weather, covering up as best I can with TA.

14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    JDZNate, mdrums and Rexcat458 like this.