QUATTROVALVOLE INTAKE PLENUM RESTORATION | FerrariChat

QUATTROVALVOLE INTAKE PLENUM RESTORATION

Discussion in '308/328' started by cfensty, Oct 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    #1 cfensty, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay everyone, I owe FChat one since I gained so much technical knowledge from fellow FChatters on numerous jobs for my 308 so I decided to do a write up on restoring the QV intake plenum to a factory finish.

The first step is to take several photos of what everything looks like before disassembly for reference. Next, I began by removing the plenum and throttle body together carefully sperating and labelling each hose, valve, etc. Don't forget to recover all gaskets including the four rubber ones on the bottom. Inspect everything as this time and order any gaskets, hoses, etc. you may need so you have them once you are done with the restoration.

You will also need to disconnect the throttle cable and remove the throttle springs and hardware if you are going to restore the throttle body as well. I recommend the plenum and throttle body be done together to assure a good match. Keep all of the hardware in ziplock baggies or the like to make sure nothing gets lost. (I had a sticky throttle so I ordered new springs and cleaned everything really good with parts cleaner before greasing with fresh high temp grease and reinstalling.)

Once the plenum is off, cover all intrusions/holes thouroughly and blast off the loose old paint the best you can. I used a handheld blasting gun from Craftsman and some glass bead blasting media. This stuff is cheap, hooks to any compressor, and did a fine job. I didn't remove all of the old paint completely but make sure the surface is smooth and consistent. Then clean everything up with some parts cleaner or solvent and a lint free rag. You can also use compressed air to make sure the surface is free of dust, hair, etc.

At this point you want to get yourself a good roll of 3M painters tape and go to work taping everything off. This is the most tedious part of the whole job but also one of the most important if you want a factory look. Red overspray on the bolts and other hardware looks pretty sloppy.

The paint is factory red crinkle finish paint I ordered from Italian Car Parts. It's a VHT high heat product so you may be able to find it elsewhere but make sure it is "crinkle finish". I did not use any primer. I hung the plenum from a string and sprayed it with 3 or 4 light coats. This is important to prevent the paint from running. Being patient is worth it if you made it this far!

I let the everything dry for about an hour and then removed the tape. Removing it before its completely dry seemed to help prevent any of the paint from pulling off with the tape.

After letting it dry completely for 48 hours, I went to work on the detail. I got a handheld sanding block and some fine sandpaper (I belive it was 500 or 1000 grit) and gently sanded across the lines and lettering on top. I mainly went on 45 degree angles to the lines but as long as you are sanding lightly with fine grit paper and the paint is dry you should be okay in any direction. Once the finish was to my satisfaction I hit it with some light compressed air to clean it up and then stared in amazement that it actually came out that good!

Reinstall everything the way it was (I used a little Wurth DP 300 gasket sealant on some of the gaskets to be safe) and enjoy! Below should be some helpfull photos. Cheers!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    GREAT job! I love posts like this. Fairly straightforward, well described, good before and after pics. Nice. The Motovanti looks even better!

Remember to cure your paint. Heat it up, cool it down for maybe 3 ever-lengtheneing drive cylces and it'll be fine. Good work!

3. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    That looks great! But instead of doing it myself, since you live so close, you could come up and paint mine :)

4. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    I would add this to the
    Interesting 3x8 Technical/DIY Threads

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Very nicely done!!! Looks great!!!

PDG

6. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Looks great, makes me want to do mine. Nice job. Just a cautionary note on using the glass bead media though, make very sure you get ALL the media out of the plenum before reinstall. I know a guy on another car forum who blasted and refinished his plenum (you should see this car, clean doesn't begin to describe it) but apparently some of the media got stuck in a corner of the plenum. He reinstalled it, started the engine and drove about 100' before destroying the engine. To his credit, he shrugged it off and built a new engine even cleaner than before!

Personally pecan/walnut shells might be a better choice of media. Less chance of damage if you miss anything.

7. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I know a guy on this forum who redid his plenum, installed it, started the car, and seized the engine.

8. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    And..... what's the connection?

Rick

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 miketuason, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    Can you cure the paint by putting it in the kitchen oven let say 150 deg F then let it cool down before installing it back together?

10. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Great job and great DIY Craig. Congratulations.

11. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

#11 Harry-SZ, Jan 6, 2014
    Inspired by this great thread, I started this job last week.
    Here are some pictures and information.

I used a modern paint stripper. Bring it on in a 1 mm layer, let dry for 6 hours and then brush off the dry stuff with a hard brush.
    After that some extra cleaning and some extra paint stripper was needed, but then it was back to bare metal. Also very pretty without the paint, but I want it original of course.

So after that a lot of cleaning and degreasing and then the job of taping off everything. That was a lot of work, but it was my first time, so others will do this quicker. I used good tape and a very sharp knife.

I put on 4 layers of VHT wrinkle paint. I let it dry a couple of minutes between layers.
    After that drying for 24 hours and I put it in the oven on 100 degrees for 20 minutes.

After that sanding the paint off the stripes and letters.
    After the sanding an extra session in the oven.

Here are some pictures. It is not perfect, but I am still very happy with the result.

12. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Cracking job....

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    You guys are good...well done!

14. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 miketuason, Jan 6, 2014
    Rosey likes this.
  15. mcfarlin

mcfarlin Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike McFarlin
    Thats what I did, my wife came home and was not particularly happy but she got over it.

16. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nice job, looks great! When we restored mine, my brother used a heat gun to activate the paint. Works just as well and doesn't make the wife mad!

17. Gordo308

Gordo308 Karting

Sep 2, 2013
    Essex, CT
    Full Name:
    Gordon Laing
    Don't try it. The smell is bad.

18. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

The chromelook is indeed not original but it is certainly not bad. I can imagine you would keep it this way.
    And the finish of the red wrinkle paint looks spot on, so they did a very nice job!

Why do many people have the aluminium/stainless intake tube instead of the standard rubber?
    Is it better or is the original one not available anymore?

19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

This is how I ended up with my own oven in the garage.........and a new one in the house.

mixedgas likes this.
  20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ha ha ha.
    This is why I bought a $25 oven off craigslist for the outside bench.

21. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Everyone's looks damn good.

22. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Harry, the reasons why some people use the aluminum in my case the carbon fiber intake tube is 1) for looks, 2) the air suppose to flow smoother as it doesn't have the ribbed or the accordion like rubber tube, and 3) yes, when people loose or damage them, they can be hard to find.

23. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    I changed mine for the looks, and for the smoother airflow.

The old one is in a plastic bag at my hangar. Anybody need one?

Klatu

81 GTSi Red/Tan

24. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    My wife thanks you.
    ;)

25. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would be worried about painting aluminum without removing the aluminum oxide. Paint will not last on aluminum oxide, and I suspend that is what the factory did. Sheet aluminum can be anodized. Not sure what to do with cast aluminum but there is a correct process. On shhet, you can also sand and paint immediately before oxide forms, but the pits of castings make this difficult.

Also, as has been mentioned elsewhere, unless you want the unpainted "fins" and the "quattrovalvole" text to turn dull from oxidation, you need to spray them with clear coat.