328 door sag repair? | FerrariChat

328 door sag repair?

Discussion in '308/328' started by R.Robot, Nov 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. R.Robot

R.Robot Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    La Quinta CA.
    Is a sagging door on a 328 difficult to repair and will it stay repaired?

Also, the drivers seat back has give when you sit into the car. Slop is from a large driver. Will it stay fixed and how do you do so? Thanks.

2. 87GTB

87GTB Rookie

Mar 5, 2009
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian Davis
    my car had 21000 miles drivers and passenger were sagging...couldn't see it but could feel slight play..when lift door from outside closed better...anyway had ferrari shop The Healey Werks in Iowa do both my doors now top and bottom hinge pins replaced...now the doors shut awesome!!! hinges are about 1/3 or 1/2 size of porshce 911 hinges and no grease zerks so they wear out pretty fast (the pins get play) even with 21000 miles....had a porsche 911 with 130000 miles doors shut like new lol...anyway don't have anybody do this repair very tricky..need a door carrier...once it's fixed it's awesome...I fixed it asap so you don't damage door/paint but most importan the interior door leather will rip thru screws you know from you having to slam...now doors shut like a porsche with new pins!!!!!! Brian

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Actually, the 'repair" is to put a scissor jack under the door and bend the whole panel back "up" unitl it hangs and shuts properly....not a large deal!!

They won't let you watch, it's Top Secret!!!

4. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    do a search, there are a few good writeups on how to fix this, it involves putting shims in the lower door connection. This is a project on my to-do list.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The hinge pins themselves can certainly wear over time from the load also.......

I was just trying to make him feel better, it's not a huge deal, in the scheme of things!!

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Of all the people who have replaced hinge pins, a small number have claimed that my pins were so loose I can push them out with my fingers. Those are the lucky ones. The majority ended up removing the door with the hinges in place, drilling, tapping, gouging, punching. and swearing all the way to the end.

I did it once, I won't touch it again. I will just roll a jack underneath the door and jack it up.

7. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    Make sure you put a block of wood between the jack and the door. I used a 2x4.

8. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Oak or pine?;)

9. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Jebuschrist, I thought you guys were kidding about jacking the door back into place!! I have been doing some searches and it appears that is the way some folks repair the sag. I never would have ever attempted it for fear the door hinges would snap off or something.

I was referring to post #7 in this thread for shimming the bottom hingle....: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29773&highlight=308+door+hinge+shim

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #1 308 & 328 do have grease fittings on the door hinges.

#2 Most of the time the sag is not due to worn hinges or pins. It is due to people putting their weight on the door to lower or raise themselves in and out of the car.

#3 Because of the cause of the sag shimming is dumb. It does not address where the distortion has happened. Since about 3 months after the first 308 was made the standard repair has to bend to door back into place. I personally just grab and lift it but I am a little bigger than some so they use a floor jack.

11. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I bought hinge pins awhile ago to fix door, figured at least some of the sag wear. I've got 48k miles so more opening and closings gone on then lower mileage cars. Is it conceivable the pins are worn at this mileage on a 21 y.o. Car? Sounds like maybe not but curious what others that have changed the pins have experienced. My old 911 with 100k never had such a problem but it was a coupe, I assume that plays a role too?

Jeff

12. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I used a Jack, door sag problem fixed. That was the easiest fix I have done on my Ferrari to date! Thanks for the tip

13. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson

I have two saggy doors. I have searched the forums for solutions and found this thread. Can someone confirm that this is not BS? And if so, can you describe exactly what to do with the scissor jack to fix the issue? How high to jack it, etc.?

14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine was sagging a little bit where you have to slightly lift the door shut it perfect but, when I replace the door pin with a brand new ones, it did not make that much different. I guess the floor jack idea is the solution.

15. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    I'm glad you're posting in the 308 section again Brian!

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Rifledriver above is a Ferrari tech with many years of experience. Reread his most recent entry, he's been doing this for many years.

If your hinge pin is not badly worn out, there is a bend, as noted mostly from people leaning on the doors. Proper fix is to bend back.

As stressful as it may be.

17. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    His post was from 2 years ago.

18. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Ahh, got it.

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #19 robertgarven, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Its in the ferrari 308 GT4 technical service bulliten. My door will barely open, about the only thing wrong with my car and been for years too scared to do this, has anyone been successful???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of jack placement and procedures for doing this "fix". I have a very slightly sagging drivers door and wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

21. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I found it impossible to get the screws out and had to drill them I think it has more to do with the lateral load of the door on the hinge. TR has replacement hinges with the fittings, my originals were not and they were not worn. The passenger side door is perfect. may try again with the jack.....

22. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Just curious on others symptoms. Mines shuts perfectly just hard to open from outside or inside after it sits a while....

23. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Rob,
    Unfortunately the english verbage on this bulletin is incomplete. Looking at the diagram, however, it appears that it is just a matter of installing a shim at the lower hinge to raise the rear of the door. I had mine loosened a while back, and I also had to drill a couple of the allen bolts out to do it (replacements readily available at your favorite hardware store).
    The alignment seems perfect. I also had my door latch out to get the key lock portion working. So all is great, except, sometimes it has a tendency to stick and requires a light tug to open it.....

24. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    I'd love some real instruction on this. Barring that, how about confirming that this seems right:

1) place scissor jack under trailing edge of slightly open door, with wood or other soft material in between.

2) jack it up until it starts to scare me.

3) lower and see if it helped.

4) repeat, going slightly farther each time until corrected.

Is that about right? If not, please edit.

Thanks.

25. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Yes thats exactly what I did last week. I thought about adding a shim to the lower hinge but the screws would not even start to come undone so gave up on that and the jack method worked fine.