308 30mm choke | FerrariChat

308 30mm choke

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jw6513, Jan 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jw6513

jw6513 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim Whitney
    Recently I had a conversation with someone that has a lot of experience with the carburated 308s. He told me that reducing the choke from 32 mm (stock size) to 30 mm will significantly increase mid range power without stealing much from top end hp. He also said that the higher air velocity pulls more fuel, and that going down one step in jetting is required. I thought I'd bring this up to see if anyone has any additional input since he was talking about + 30 hp midrange and only -5 hp peak. Thanks.

Jim

2. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    I don't have any experience with that, but on the surface, it doesn't seem to make sense. You're asking the carbs to pull more air/fuel mixture into the combustion chamber with smaller venturies and smaller jets. That just doesn't add up in my opinion.

Bob Wassam

3. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
  4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I can see the higher velocity due to the smaller choke size to maybe, improve mixing of the emuslified fuel and air and why the car may run better/smoother at lower RPM's (not necessarily with more power), but a smaller choke is what it is, a smaller restriction. You will lose out at higher RPM and I don't see this point of going to a smaller size. Does this guy have hard facts/Dyno data to prove the claimed benefit?

It would be a waste of time and money to change IMO. Stock set-up is more than satisfactory for all driving conditions.

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Sounds interesting!
    Not sure he is actually feeling more 'low-end power'; unless he has dynos to prove otherwise, I think what he is actually feeling is improved lower end throttle response due to the increased air velocity from the smaller venturi. It really can be felt quite noticibly as more kick in the pants when you floor it: not more power, but what you have becomes available for that throttle setting all in at once.
    With the smaller venturi - for equivalent steady state throttle openings -the resistance is higher, thus lower flow and lower hp at roughly equivalent throttle settings. But, with the higher velocities, when the throttle is opened, you get the power increase 'right now', **feeling** as if it has more 'mid-range' punch.
    Just an idea
    best
    rt

6. jw6513

jw6513 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim Whitney
    Has anyone on here tried this?, and if so, do you have any empirical data of the results. Thanks.

7. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I'd have to agree here. The smaller throats would give a better throttle response, but no more hp. The only way I can see it producing more hp, is if the original throats were grossly oversized. Just my $.02

8. tsyntax

tsyntax Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Syntax
    Many years ago I experimented with 40 DCZs and later the DFIs and DCNs. I had a 275 two cam with 28mm chokes. Went to 27mm and slighlty smaller jets. Low end was better but mid range and top end suffered a little.

Then I went with 32mm on a 330 GT 2+2. Standard was 27mm. I used the same jetting as on the 365 GT 2+2 DFIs. Made a big difference on the top end with a very slight sacrifice on the low end. Mid range was great. I couldn't readily find 32mm venturis so I went to the local Weber dealer at the time and found something very close and then I had the outside machined to slide in. A small dimple was machined for the set screw. I had a Euro Daytona for a while. I played around with the DCNs and did the same thing. Had excellent results. I will have to go through all of my records to find the jet sizes I used for both. It may not help much but my experiences. I am sure some of the older members who have done a lot of work on their cars have worthwile experiences.

I completely agree with other writer- smaller will not improve high end (or mid-range for that matter).