308/328 Coolant Flush: Essential Upgrades | Page 3 | FerrariChat

308/328 Coolant Flush: Essential Upgrades

Discussion in '308/328' started by obertRo, Aug 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Checked this yesterday when I did a coolant drain. It would be pretty much impossible to access from under, as the gearbox and engine mount are in the way. It really needs the side access via wheel well. But for related tasks the wheel/liner would usually be off anyway? Only exception might be if the car is fully lifted on a lift and there might be a slight possibility of reaching up just inside the wheel well but would be very tricky.

I have always fitted drain taps to ever car I would be planning to keep but its not as straightforward on these cars and these kits are very worthwhile. Besides the convenience of a packaged kit, the NPT to metric adaptor and T-piece are not standard parts so you cant simply just buy everything. PM sent!

obertRo likes this.
  2. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    obertRo,
    I need to buy another set of the engine block petcock and fittings for my '88 328, and, if possible, I'd like to receive them by this weekend...
    PM sent.
    This kit is fantastic! Thanks for putting it together.
    zoooomz

obertRo likes this.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    ObertRo

You need to clear out your PM box. It is full.

4. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Just made a little space, thanks for the heads-up.
    (Or email me: [email protected])

5. jpnel

jpnel Rookie

Jan 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nelson
    Hi Robert. Are you still making the drainage petcocks? Would like to purchase pair for my 308QV Mondial. If so how do I organise payment etc

6. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hi John,
    Yes I sure am. I will PM you.

7. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Fine.. me too... ;-)

8. rmgaiss

rmgaiss Rookie

Feb 15, 2005
    Lake City, FL
    I'll take both. Where do I send my check, and for how much?

9. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'll send you a PM.

10. Dbone

Dbone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2005
    Malibu
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Robert, i would like to purchase a set as well.
    PM sent

11. mcfarlin

mcfarlin Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike McFarlin
    Hello! I haven't been on the site in a while and just came across your petcock and bleeder kits. I would love to order a full set for my 1980 308 gtbi. How do I go about it?
    Thanks!

12. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hi--just shoot me an email: robert AT clarkandclarkinc.com (I left out the @ sign, because robot crawlers gather emails for spam!).

13. jpnel

jpnel Rookie

Jan 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nelson
    Hi Pleased that Robert responded and that you are sorted. I had an issue with my set in that I believe the Mondial most run slightly larger diameter heater hoses as the connection to the petcock was a little sloppy and I finished up sleeving the petcock spigots to increase their diameter. That said there are great to use and makes a messy job very simple

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for the heads up John. I don't own a Mondial, but I know they share much in common with the 308GTB and GTS. So, yes, I'm guessing the heater hose on a Mondial may be slightly larger--sorry about that. I'm glad you could sleeve the hose slightly for a decent fit to my petcock Tee. Please email or PM me with your year Mondial? And any photos you may have taken of your sleeve? I want to do a little research to see which hose you have and if that hose stayed unchanged over the model run.
    For anyone interested, the hose diameter on the 308 that my Kit is designed to fit is 15mm ID and 22 or 23mm OD.

15. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    Hello. Do you have a pair of drain valves for 308GT4, and how do I order them? Thanks

16. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hi John,
    Yes, I do. Sent you a PM
    Robert

17. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello Robert,
    How much per each Auto Vent, where can this be purchased?

Great idea, thanks!!!

John.

18. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks, John.
    Sending you a PM...
    Robert

19. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    If anyone else reads this, I can suggest my method of purging the coolant from rear to front. Place a towel over the coolant expansion tank, and blow into the tank. Just the pressure in your lungs is enough, after several blows, to purge a great deal of coolant that gravity would otherwise retain in the system. Robert's valve with hose safely sends the coolant into an old plastic jug. If you blow too hard with just the open hose, coolant will shoot out the dangling front hose of the car up to three feet, if you are full of as much hot air as I am! With only a short time before car week here in Monterey, I changed the antifreeze by pulling the hose in front and draining directly at the engine block. I had a large hazmat containment tray, but still lost about a gallon out of the front hose when I blew into the expansion tank to clear the lines. WHAT A MESS! Epoxy floors and a few trips through the washing machine for my clothes and towels meant no long term damage, but the next antifreeze change will be to install your valves with lines that can be attached, and then the following change will be neat and clean. I just ordered them now. Thanks for making them. With the air bleeder valves on the thermostat housing and radiator, I find that only the radiator seems to always collect a little air. I am trying Robert's automatic bleeder on the radiator, and will report back after a while.

obertRo likes this.
  20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You could just use a pressure pump. ;)

21. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    Yes, but that would assume that I was more organized. I finally found a use for my hot air! I will look for a rubber stopper of the right size and drill a hole in the middle to accept an air compressor spray nozzle, for the next flush. Without bleeding it all out, the coolant stops without shooting out the front hose, and then I will install Robert's new valves with hoses that drain into jugs, and then zap it with pressure to clear anything still left in the system.

22. scoville

scoville Rookie

Dec 24, 2014
    Burlington Vermont
    Full Name:
    Chris Scoville
    I'm interested as well if you are still selling. It sounds like it will fit my 89 328 based on other comments. Thanks!

obertRo likes this.
  23. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hi Scoville,
    Yes, I still have them and in fact send them out regularly to 308/328 owners. I'll send you a PM.
    Robert

24. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    same please, if you could PM price details to be posted to the UK please
    for my UK 89 328 Thankyou
    paul

obertRo likes this.
  25. greatscott73