308/328 Driver Height | FerrariChat

308/328 Driver Height

Discussion in '308/328' started by d1frehley, Nov 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. d1frehley

d1frehley Rookie

Nov 27, 2007
    I asked this question in another Ferrari forum and would also like everyones input here. I have a question for 308/328 owners or past owners. I am in position since buying my first Road & Track Magazine in 1979 with a 308 in it to actually buy my dream car. I turned 40 this year and have decided to go for it. I have found quite a few candidates for purchase none locally. Here is my problem, before I make a long road trip to test drive one of these lovely autos, I find my self with a dilemma. Will I fit??? I am 6'3" tall and I have read many reviews that say this is not a tall mans car. So does anybody know if i can set in this car with any level of comfort. Again this is my dream car but I cant justify no matter how much love and lust I have for it to not be able to drive it without the top off. If I cant fit I may have to go sadly to my backup favorite rides.

Thanks for any info,

Danny

2. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    My suggestion is to find a 308 / 328 and sit in one to judge for yourself. I'm on the shorter side and it fits me perfectly ( 5'7" with most of my heighth in my torso, short legs). I believe there are some taller owners here who might be able to give you good advice, but it seems to me to be a tight fit.

As an example, I brought my 308 to work one day, my co-worker was just over 6 ft, he did fit in it, but he was not comfortable at all and his eyes were right at the roofline (I have a GTS) so he had to "hunch over" to see IF he drove. There are shots of Tom Selleck (via his Magnum days) where he was doing the same.

Its probably doable, but I highly suggest you sit in one and try to testdrive one BEFORE you buy.

Just my two cents

From the short guy in the corner.... James in Denver

3. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Check the search function on this. There have been many discussions so you should get a lot of feedback. I am 6'4 " and 225 and have no problems in my GTB. Have about 2" headroom and no problems during a 4 hr. drive. Enjoy and good luck

4. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The early GTB has the most room of the entire line as far as I know, but any GTB will have more room than a GTS. Also, the seat tracks get sticky and rusty if older cars that havnt been worked on, and getting the seat to travel fully back could make you think you wont fit if its not FULLY extended. I'm 6-1, and I can put the seat back so far I cant fully depress the clutch pedal. As far as fitting, a lot depends on your body shape, if your torso long, leg long, etc.. And if youve put on a few pounds you might not be comfortable until you run around the block a few times.

5. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Except for the very first 308 in the series. And that being the GT4, which has more than enough legroom for you.

As for the GTB, it would probably depend on you body type and how you like to sit. I am 6'1", and have a '84 Alfa Spider that has been my daily driver for the past 10 years. I slouch low in the seat and keep my knees up and to the side. I cannot extend my feet all the way out, unless they go behind (which is :rolleyes: kind'a useless) the pedals. Long trips are okay, but I take a lot of breaks.

The GT4 however has no such problem. In fact, I have to put the seat forward 2 clicks just to reach the pedals comfortabley. They're a great alternative to the GTB/GTS. And although not as pretty, they are a little faster and handle somewhat better because of the longer wheelbase. They're also (for the moment) somewhat less expensive and easier to work on.

Just my 2-sense...

6. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Do a quick search and you will find more threads (search for tall) on this question.

I am 6'3" and fit in my 308 QV GTS. I have long legs (36" inseam) and weight 205 lbs. I cannot put the top behind the seats and drive it. No heel-toe shifting either...your leg will hit the wheel. If you are more torso, you will have a tough time fitting. My 308 is more generous in leg than head room.

**Try it before you buy it. I tried a Lotus Esprit - too big, Lotus Elise - too big, 348 - too big, 512BBi - too big. I was so happy that I fit in my 308:D

7. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul

Thats just about what I have to do with my GTB, pull the seat up a few clicks, and we are the same height (6-1). The GTS cars ive driven didnt have enough clicks to go back. Though its also possible, as ive found with both my cars, that their seats didnt go all the way back either. Make sure there isnt junk under the seats, and standing outside the car, try to slide the seat fore and aft and determine the seat has full travel and moves smoothly. If its gunked up or otherwise hard to slide, consider removing them and servicing the tracks.

I was told by an old time Ferrari shop that the Magnum cars had several different renditions done to help Tom fit the cars. Starting with removing seat padding, they also tried extended seat tracks, dropping the floor, and reworking the area behind the seat to get more travel. In the end dropping the floor did more to offer better room. Just one inch can make an absolute world of difference. So can moving the steering wheel.

8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Just to go to the other end of the spectrum, being 5'2 poses no problem for any 3x8 driver. Not a surprise.

9. JBTC F430

JBTC F430 Rookie

Dec 31, 2006
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Campbell
    I'm 5'11" and own a 1989 328 GTS. I just fit in the car with the top on. I can't imagine that anyone 6'3" would have a chance with the top on and with the top off you'll be looking at the top of the windshield. It's too bad that more people can't enjoy these cars because they are so much fun and make such a great sound.

10. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    #10 MREUS, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I fit better in a 308 than a 328. I believe it's due to the extra seat padding of the 328. Here is me (6'3") with the top on and 1" of additional headroom :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bowzer and miketuason like this.
  11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Danny, a friend of mine went through the same thing, he is 6'4 and love the 308 GTS. He told me that his head were barely touching the targa top but not by much.
    To make a long story short he end up buying the GTB, according to him the GTB has a little more head room. If you ask me I think you're fine with the GTS:)

12. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    It's very hard to pass judgment based on height alone as it's a factor of the proportion of torso vs legs vs arms and your preferred driving position. I'm 5'8" with short legs and for the 1st 1000 miles I couldn't find a comfortable seating position. When the arms vs steering wheel combo was fine my head was in the targa top and when I had the seat back reclined for comfortable seating the steering wheel was too far away for comfortable manouvering on twisty roads. I mounted a Hill Engineering steering wheel spacer which helped a lot and also I think with time just adapted to the car and actually found a very comfortable position. I've done 1000 miles in 16 hours across Europe with stops only for fuel and snacks and climbed out with no back ache (only headache ;) ).

In contrast my daily driver is a 5 series with the comfort seats that adjust in every way possible. Now that I'm comfortable in the 328 I just cannot find a position that I'm happy with in the Beemer and after 2 or 3 hours get serious stifness in my right leg...

13. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    I'm 6'4" and can just about fit in a 308 GTB/GTS. A 348 is utterly useless, 355 is easy, 360 is roomy.

My own 308 GT4 seems to be the best fit of them all (except for the 360 maybe). Only problem is that the steering wheel seems to be slightly too far away. Not annoying enough to fit an extension ring though (which would be a simple solution).

Interestingly, I find the driver side of my GT4 to be much more comfortable than the passenger side... Maybe it is because of the slightly reduced legroom at the passenger side (relays hide under a board in the footwell).

I've raised the fronts of my seat runners by about half an inch. This gives my upper legs just that little more support. Raising was simple: just unbolting the allen head bolts that hold the seat rails and stuffing a pile of washers underneath the fronts. A 10-minute job for both seats.

Hans

14. d1frehley

d1frehley Rookie

Nov 27, 2007
    Thanks for all of the responses. I need to find someone in the Nashville area who has one that will let me have a seat. Sounds like its not totally out of the question that I might fit. Keeps my hope up that I might not have to change my desire to another car.

Thanks Again,

Danny

15. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was never real thrilled with the stock steering wheel position. No matter how I adjusted it (yes, the column is adjustable) it blocked the gauges or looked like a bus, plus it was just about on my legs in the best position. When I had the dash out I was looking at it and finally took the column bracket off and redrilled holes to slide it up about an inch. Because it mounts on about a 45 degree angle, sliding it up also slides it back toward you. I have it attached so the bracket is right up against the underside of the dash. Now its closer to me, its at a better angle, its up off my legs a bit more, and I can see the gauges better. For a big guy its one option to give you some more room.

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Indeed. 5'7" here and these cars feel tailor-made for me.

True. There's also a build factor - if someone is stocky I think a 308/328 would feel like tight jeans after not too long.

Oddly, I was in a 360 Spider a few months back and there was so much room (and the seats were so wide) that I felt uncomfortable: I felt seated too high in the car, and not properly held in by the seat. Most American men are taller than I am, so I can't argue with Ferrari's decision to go bigger with their interiors, but from my perspective they lost a bit of that custom/racing-cockpit feel that I enjoy.

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not to be the official FChat Ralph Nader/killjoy, but you don't want to drive a car where your head is touching the roof. It's a recipe for serious neck injuries.

18. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree Jon, but according to Mike Pierce, yes he is the owner of Pierce Manifold and he is the one I'm talking about that his head is NOT touching the roof at all.
    He said he fits comfortably and enjoys driving his 79 GTB

19. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Get a GTS and you'll have no problem.
    I'm 6'2" and still have one inch left with top on.
    Top off and ride forever.
    Oh, and get the steering spacer for your knees.

20. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I think I've responded to this question 3 times now. I'm 6'7" and fit in my 328 with either the top off or on, but can't stow it behind the seat. It's tight though.

And I certainly agree with the person that said lowering the floor would probably make a huge difference. I fit unbelievable well with the seats out and just sitting on the floorpans! ;)

21. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm 6'3" and fit in my 77 GTB w/ an inch to spare for headroom. I tend to rub the roof on GTSs...

FWIW,
    Greg

22. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I heard they took the seat base out of the car for Tom Sellek in the Magnum series. Not sure if true story?

23. Talon38

Talon38 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike Lambert
    Hi! I'm 5'6" and have the interior out. I'd like to raise the seat maybe an inch and wonder how anyone has done that (if they have). Thanks!

24. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can add spacers between the seat rail and the floor or add padding on the seat if you're going to reupholster it.

25. Talon38

Talon38 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike Lambert
    Thanks! I was able to get the seats and all leather re-dyed. No damage to the leather so I've been able to use the originals. Placing Dynamat under the carpeting and may just use that for "spacers" under the seat rails. I'll let y'all know. Cheers!

miketuason likes this.