308/328 Driver Height | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308/328 Driver Height

Discussion in '308/328' started by d1frehley, Nov 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #26 ginoBBi512, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    At 6'3, your going to have to replace the drivers seat, you are to tall to fit in any 3x8 .I dont care what anyone says, I am 6ft even. and I fit with maybe 1/2 inch to spare, so 6' 3 is not going to happen. You will most likely have to modify as well with an aftermarket seat. I am also lucky because I have 7.5 inch feet,and slightly bowed legs, so I fit pretty well in the peddle box. At 6 ft, I still have to have the seat back just about all the way. I have a fair to long reach, so I can steer the car and shift. I replaced my seats because the stock ones are crap for the American market, there is no side bolstering, AT LL. My after market seats dont sit me any lower, they rap around me, instead of me sitting on top of them, like the stock seats. take a look any any video, of guys driving 308s, even at 5 9, they look cramped as hell behind the wheel, almost seems unnatural. You may want to look at another Ferrari, 348 or 355, 430 , they are going to fit you much better than the 3x8, its that simple. Whoever is saying they are 6'3 and have room to spare, I dont think so , no way. Most guys with that hight have feet so big that trying to drive any 3x8 properly, its not going to happen, even with small feet, I still drive in just my socks, it gives me even more room,and I feel more connected to the car. These 3x8s were made for small italian drivers, period, not 6ft plus Americans. Having to put spacers on the steering wheel so your knees can fit ? Are you kidding me, ! lol You might as well ask Frankenstein to drive a 308 .

Thank you

2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Any of you 6'3 fellows, have you wife take a picture of you in a 3x8 with your steering wheel spacer and post it here, I would love to see it ! lol .Make sure we can see your feet on the peddles,as well .

Thank you

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I am 6’4” and fit perfectly fine. I believe that build and proportions play a big role with how people fit into these cars. Height isn’t the only factor. There are things that you can do in order for a taller person to be more comfortable. Seat position and tilt, driving shoes are a must and even though I have never tried a wheel spacer, those seem to make sense as well.

4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Much also depends on how you sit in the car. I’m 6’, and my head can easily touch the headliner of my 328 GTB if I’m sitting up high with my back firmly against the seat. If you choose to slide slightly forward in your seat, it’ll be tight, but you should be fine. Aside from height, there’s also the question of size. It’s also snug if you’re a large person.

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    It's not quite as simple as saying: "If you're over 6' then you're going to have problems" - A lot depends on how your height is made up.

Your height might be half body/half legs.
    Your height might be a third body/two thirds legs.
    Your height might be two thirds body/one third legs.

Or any variation between the three.

I'm just over 6' 1" - Pretty much 50/50 body/legs, and have no issues whatsoever fitting in my 328 GTS with the roof on (there's not much headroom left, but I'm not rubbing the headlining).

I don't even need to have the seat fully back against the runner stops (if I remember correctly, my seat is 2 positions forward of being fully back - Set by pushing the clutch pedal fully down, until my left leg is almost straight).

In addition, I don't need to have the seat fully reclined (it's not far off being fully reclined, but there's still a couple of positions to go), so the roof panel still fits nicely behind the seats.

I used to have a mate at work (now sadly departed), who was a similar height to me, but he was all body, with quite short legs (it did look quite odd - It was like his legs stopped growing long before his body did!). He always said that, when it came to cars, legroom was never an issue for him, but headroom often was.

Depending on body layout, I'd say 6' 1" ~ 6' 2" is probably the limit for being able to fit comfortably in a 3*8 GTB/GTS height wise (my understanding is that the GTB's have a little bit more headroom than the GTS' - I can't say, because GTB's have never really interested me, so I've never sat in one)

As is well known (and mentioned on here before), Tom Selleck is 6' 4", and they had to remove the seat runners, and thin out the seat padding to get him in the 308 GTS', and his head was still sticking out above the front roof rail by an inch or two.

The other issue with a 3*8 GTB/GTS and being over 6' is, getting in and out of the bugger - It's a fair old drop down into those seats, and a fair old bit of leverage on the knees getting out of them!

6. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Come on, Gino, read the whole thread before slamming out a reply! The original post by Danny to which you're replying was 14 YEARS AGO!!! It was brought back up by Talon38 to ask about raising the seat to better suit him at 5' 6".

By the way, a few people answered the original question 14 years ago, several of whom were 6'3" and fit well - one included a photo. We already know you don't care what anyone says if it disagrees with you, but when a 6'3" person has already posted that they fit (and included a photo), your statement that it's not going to happen should be embarrassing - it already happened. :D

Cheers,
    Gordon

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Hey Gorden, thanks for the reply, my car detail guy is 6'3 , and his does not fit in my car PERIOD, lol You can squeeze a 7 ' 4 person in a 308, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY FIT , my Lord, send me all the pics you would like, people that are taller than 6 feet , do not fit in a 3x8 properly, its called physics. I like all your posts, but I have to politely disagree with you and others on this. I have had my car 21 years, and have always thought about how to make more room, the only proper way, is to install better seats.I to modify my aftermarket driver seat because the back had to much padding in it, so my feet where to close to the peddles, and you say a 6'3 size person with a size 11 foot. is going to fit in a 3x8, PROPERLY, not a chance

Thank you

8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Gino, you still didn't bother to read the thread, did you? Two people at least posted that they are 6' 3" and fit in their 308s just fine. Several other people explained that all 6'3" people aren't equal - some have longer legs, some have longer torsos, and that makes all the difference on whether you fit or not. It's not an absolute as you state that 6'3" does not fit at all. Some don't, SOME DO.

MREUS and Kidasters like this.
  9. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I'm 6' tall with long legs and stubby arms. I have to have the seat slightly reclined so I don't hit my head on the roof.

In order to keep my knees clear of the wheel, I added the Hill Engineering 25 mm spacer. I tried the 50 mm spacer, but that was too much. 25 mm seems perfect - don't hit my knees, and yet arms are comfortable when driving.

Hope you find one to "test fit".

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I do hear what your saying, but no body sees the knees up to ones chest and ones legs crammed up and around and hitting the steering wheel, lol the length has to go somewhere, if the head does not hit the roof, it means the legs are way to long , never mind the size of the feet. I have seen plenty of videos, like I mentioned , of guys that at 5' 10, with the stock seats, and its a tight fit for them. I dont care what dimensions a 6'3 fellow is, its not a proper fit, whatsoever. At 6ft, Im fortunate that my proportions are perfect, top vs. bottom, and the fact that I have 7.5 inch feet, and with aftermarket seats, Im fitting just about like a glove in my car, thank you God !

Thank you

11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I think it is a matter of context too. The cars were configured in an era when the “ideal” seating position had the arms straight. Now, “ideal” has arms folded at the steering wheel almost at the chest (witness LeMans or Nascar). Legs relate to comfort and fit. I have grown accustomed to my knees to the sides of the steering column and have almost become fond of the position.

The point I am making is that your assertion of “proper fit” is a judgment and an opinion and less a universal agreed configuration.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  12. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I hear what your saying, proper fit , also means, that you can drive these cars the way they are suppose to be driven, that becomes impossible with people over six feet, and size 10 plus feet and your legs wrapped around the steering wheel, knees up in your chest, steering, shifting, braking, clutching, gas peddle, its not going to happen .

Thank you,

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    For post re 5'6" and needing the seat higher - wouldn't it be really easy to just toss a small cushion on the seat? Lot less trouble than futzing around with changing the mounts/seats. ;)

MREUS likes this.
  14. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The previous owner (two back) showed my car and she had washer put in between the seat and the floor and still won awards (didn't look jerry rigged). I believe she was 5'2". Obviously, at 6'3", they are no longer there.

15. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have seen this also. The 308 doesn't have much padding on the bottom of the seat = may be more comfy too.

16. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I've written I'm 6'3, 185lbs, long legs & fit fine, though my head is about 1/2" from the roof (GTB).
    One thing I've never noticed is my legs being cramped under the steering wheel. I'll have to pay attention today to see
    what all the fuss is about. Getting in & out of the car gracefully? well that is an issue :)

Saabguy and Kidasters like this.
  17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    At just over 6' 1", getting in my 328 GTS is made a lot easier with the roof panel removed, as I can slide across where the roof panel would be sat, and then lower myself down into the seat.

With the roof panel still in place, as with a GTB, entry can appear quite ungainly - A case of getting my left leg in, doubling over forwards and downwards, and then dropping into the seat, hoping for a gentle landing (and that I don't throw something out, like a hip or knee joint! :D )

I've learnt a trick on getting out the car from watching my Magnum p.i DVD's, and watching how Tom Selleck did it: Roll my upper body towards the door opening, place my right had on the carpeted chassis section, between the seat and the sill (I',m in the UK with a RHD car - For LHD cars, you'll need to use your left hand on the driver's side chassis area), and then use my right hand to take my weight/push up as I climb out the car. Works pretty well (Thank you Tom! :cool: ).

As for 5' 6" drivers, and needing to sit higher up - I think I'd much rather fit suitable spacers and longer bolts under the seat, than drive around on a booster cushion.

18. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

19. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    If you feel the need to sit higher, I suggest you buy an SUV.

20. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Ok, I dont see the problem. With my build anyway, I must have 3+" between legs & steering wheel.

21. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

At 6’4”, the steering wheel is basically between my legs.

22. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Ok, not quite 3"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Just because you're tall and you fit in the car, doesn't automatically mean everyone who's tall should fit - Again, a lot depends on height displacement/proportions.

24. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I was thinking about the 25 MM hill engineering wheel spacer, I think it might let me see more of the gauge cluster and dash lights. You fellows who have installed this spacer, can you see more of the gauge cluster ?

Thank you

25. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

An eccentric hub spacer will certainly help you to see more of the gauges as it lifts the steering wheel while also bringing it closer to the driver.