308/328 in Beverly Hills Cop II | FerrariChat

308/328 in Beverly Hills Cop II

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rich S, Sep 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    Watched BHC II last night; finally noticed that in one of the early scenes, Eddie Murphy (or someone) is driving a 308 around Detroit... but not too much later, the "same car" is now a 328. And later yet, we again see a 308 instead of the intermediate-scene 328. Lastly, the "Ferrari" is seen after being totaled by his buddy. Lots of red car body bits but I couldn't make out from what car, or lookalike of some sort. Hopefully it was from some kit car horror, such as used to convert Fieros into... well, anyway. Of course, this movie was made in 1987, so it must have been noticed at least a few times before by others, just not by me. Anyone got a backstory to this? Just interested.

Cheers,
    Rich

2. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Just that the stunt driving scenes used both a 308 Carb and injected (notice different mirrors when driving down the alley and driving on highway), and a 328 for the "gentle" driving bits, like parked in his garage, and pulling up in front of the bar or loading dock. Don't know WHY. Maybe some dealer/factory PR dept. restriction on use of newer, current-model 328, so they found some older models to stand in for highway and hard street driving?

At any rate, in my household, when we watch BHCII, all lights must be off, and no one is allowed to talk for the opening five minutes.

In fact, let's ALL take a five minutes of silence to revisit a great piece of cinema...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nllSQP4ADk

3. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    That was a great opening scene...my very supportive wife actually DVR'd it for me when she recently saw it on a movie channel.

4. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    Quote: "At any rate, in my household, when we watch BHCII, all lights must be off, and no one is allowed to talk for the opening five minutes.

In fact, let's ALL take a five minutes of silence to revisit a great piece of cinema..."

I love it!!!

Cheers,
    Rich

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I always wondered how they never noticed that in the edit room

6. R.Robot

R.Robot Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    La Quinta CA.
    Sometimes the thought is "not may people will notice, or perhaps no one will".

That thinking doesn't take into account the sharp eyes of Ferrari chat members.

Good spot.

While at it check out the German motorcycle Steve McQueen uses in the Great Escape.

There are fewer and fewer mistakes, but sometimes budget does take away from true story props or locations.

7. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    I noticed that too for the first time when it was the other day. I guess the editors were not car guys. Or perhaps the 328 was not available during some shooting or reshooting. Most movie sets I've ever been to (not very many) there is usually a back up identical car for car scenes. That may have not been the case there. But I'm sure there was a good reason. Frankly I found it more fun when I watched it recently, trying to catch how many times there were different cars being used in the beginning.

8. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    As popular as the 328 was on launch that year, my guess is still that the dealership that loaned it expressly forbade "action" driving, so they procured the next best thing from willing owners or leasing companies.

9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    "Your secret partner Mario Andretti Friedman wrecked the ******* Ferrari!"

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    When Beverly Hills Cop 2 was made in '87, the value of a 328 GTS was pretty much double that of a 308 GTS and so the older car was used for the high speed driving driving scenes.

11. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    OK, good enough, but then why use the 328 at all? Seems to me that if the 308 was fine for energetic driving it ought to have been more than good enough to pull up to a gate, or whatever. ???

Still wondering just what it was that they trashed...?

Cheers,
    Rich

12. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    They hoped we wouldn't notice and I didn't notice the first time I saw it.

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    As suggested earlier, it's quite possible that the supplier of the 328 stated that it wasn't to be used for any "stunt" driving, or it may have just been felt that the 328 looked a bit more modern and therefore better on screen for the slow driving scenes.

TV and movie people do all sorts of strange things when it comes to vehicles on screen and hope that nobody notices!

(Take the opening to Magnum PI for example: He pulls over, releases the roof catches pushes the roof towards the back of the car and then drives off with no sign of the roof panel anywhere. In reality, the roof panel should be sat either on the rear buttresses or on the engine lid! - The TV people simply hoped nobody would notice that what they're watching actually makes no sense).

14. R.Robot

R.Robot Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    La Quinta CA.
    Tony Scott the director was a motor sport enthusiast. And loved Ferraris.

He was also a great guy.

15. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    Quote: "(Take the opening to Magnum PI for example: He pulls over, releases the roof catches pushes the roof towards the back of the car and then drives off with no sign of the roof panel anywhere. In reality, the roof panel should be sat either on the rear buttresses or on the engine lid! - The TV people simply hoped nobody would notice that what they're watching actually makes no sense)."

Question: when did this appear? An episode on TV or a pilot/movie, or...? Can't find it. ???

Cheers,
    Rich

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They used it in the opening sequence throughout the series, but it originally appeared in the first episode, Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii.

17. fastkarz

fastkarz Karting

May 18, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian Denton
    BHC II Continuity Did anyone else notice that when he pulled out of the garage that the Targa top was removed but when he arrived it was magically back on?

Brian
    82 308 GTSi Dark Metallic Blue (Dodge Vipter GTS piant)
    02 Maserati Coupe Metallic Blue