308/ 328 Widebody | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308/ 328 Widebody

Discussion in '308/328' started by bluenavi, Jul 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I really must get around to putting mine on...

bluenavi likes this.
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have the same problem but I’ve learned how to deal with it. I can’t believe I have that thing on my car for 8 years now.

bluenavi likes this.
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I like the look. It was just a pain in the ass to me. I came very VERY close to almost giving it away years ago.
    Then I thought about painting it (original nero metallic) and using it as some kinda wall art that people like you and I would think is cool to see.

I have just about come full circle and want to put it back on again and just learn to live with it like you have.

bluenavi and miketuason like this.
  4. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know exactly how you feel, my ass has been painful for eight years LOL!

bluenavi likes this.
  5. MonsterCro

MonsterCro Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    16s or 17s

bluenavi likes this.
  6. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    17s

bluenavi likes this.
  7. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I think it's great looking and would love to see more pictures. Very 288-ish; the best looking car ever.

bluenavi likes this.
  8. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    couldnt you say the same about the 288gto? only difference is the gto is gorgeous while the egg is not. 288 gto was developed from many of the leanings of millicholdi at pininfarina. primarily the flares, deeper front spoiler along with taller decklid spoiler. the roof air foil didnt make it though only on a some of the qv and turbos. i see these features on the egg.

norwood built a 288gto bodied 308 675hp Bonneville car. it hit an aerodynamic wall back in the 80's. 308 or 288 isnt the cleanest thing through the air by anymeans. it now is running with 2000=2500hp reportedly to get a significant top speed along with an elaborate wing.

on the track, more rubber and reduced lift or added downforce out weighs increased drag if you want lower lap times. koenigs wootang bodywork isnt my cup of tea either but just saying...

track guys used crude tin snips for front splitters and barn door rear wings. i personally know a guy that mock one up quickly for a test. he knocked 4 secs off his lap times at willow springs. and no he didnt put it in a wind tunnel. neither did any of the IMSA prep 308 race cars back in the day.

if you are really concerned about performance... dont drive a 308 :)

bluenavi likes this.
  9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Dunno

But Ferrari was using a wind tunnel back as early as 81. Certainly they must have put the 288 in there too.

Koenig was just a cheap suit salesman, at least on the outside.

bluenavi likes this.
  10. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I was gonna say, it has kit car written all over it. But, Hey...if you like it, who cares what anybody thinks.

Jakuzzi and bluenavi like this.
  11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    In fact, pretty much don't drive anything from the 1980s.

The coefficient of drag (cd) for a 1985 Ferrari 288 GTO is listed at 0.38, just slightly better than the 0.40 estimated for a 308 GTB. The Koenig has to be even worse although it does look like it is going 20 mph faster. As a point of reference, the cd for a 1989 Miata was also 0.38. A 1999 Ferrari 360 Modena was 0.34, the same as a 1987 Ferrari F40.

Here is a link to a compilation of automobile drag coefficients over the years. There are many surprises (all of the preceding were beaten by a 1992 Ford Crown Vic at 0.33)::eek:

12. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    "King of the Road" ... Gah.

bluenavi likes this.
  14. MonsterCro

Mar 4, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks. I will If i have any more pics

bluenavi likes this.
  15. MonsterCro

Mar 4, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Some pics my friend took recently when it was parked on the side of the road. Im lucky enough it has the performance as well. pushing 440hp on moderate boost, Easily outruns a 360 and 430 depending on how hot the day is

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jakuzzi, miketuason, bluenavi and 2 others like this.
  16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

When I was Young I liked the Koenig turbo specials (308, BB, Testarossa). If the Koenig kit was installed at those times, ok: it's a piece of history also that.

But thinking today about destroying a 40 years old Ferrari just to do "that" (or, even worse, a fake GTO), for me it's like a crime and a terrorist act, despite one (the fake GTO) at least is a good looking car

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ciao

bluenavi and energy88 like this.
  17. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the pictures. Great looking car with impressive power.

I'm guessing you've done suspension/brake upgrades to go with all of that power?

bluenavi and Jakuzzi like this.
  18. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    i didnt like koenigs then i dont like em now. but i wouldnt jump to conclusions that they were " just a cheap suit salesman and non of those tacky add ons add dimes worth of performance"
    ferrari been using pininfarinas tunnel since the early 70's. 365bb boxer prototype was tested in it as early as 71. low drag wasnt top priority for their production cars.

i dont know about cheap, koenig often used the best available components at that time.....

but whats looks have to do with being faster,quicker or the quality of its components ? marry stuart had the best compromise for drag and areo balance, it didnt make to production due to its ungainly appearance though it won the race.

many manufactures tested aero devices on the road or circuit without a tunnel, this especially rings true in the 70's and 80s on the autobahn.

idk, a F40, 959, are pretty fast even in todays terms imo. i need to build a track oriented 308 one day. i suppose i should make sure its pretty.

the most important figure missing in that compilation is CdA if we speak of top speed. drag coefficients does not alone determine the top speed alone aerodynamically. axle balance would be helpful if it was a track oriented car.

as a note... wind tunnels are like dyno's. they are all different and are tested with different parameters. its a very cool chart but i would take that data with a grain of salt... fascinating never the less, thanks for the link. so how many of you here commenting ever tested and operated a wind tunnel here? raise your hand here please... :)

Some nice pieces in that catalog i wouldnt mine having a set of those the AP/lockheed brakes are the types used in the GR 4 Micholloto cars, along drop gears can do wonders also. those period correct AP brakes cost a small fortune now. i dont have a clue what output the turbo makes i would imagine it would add power.

it ran with same size bbs e50 race wheels or larger than the gr4 campys. so you would have need for those drag inducing fender flares to house them if im not mistaken. I had a 3 set of these bbs wheels on 3 different cars. yes you can feel the difference over the stock wheels and tires.

cheers all!

bluenavi likes this.
  19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    They were tacky add ons that did nothing but increase drag and therefore decrease any "performance".

They were just for looks.

Show me evidence that they improved anything.

bluenavi likes this.
  20. MonsterCro

Mar 4, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    i have done no modifications. Its still all 80's original from when the work was done

bluenavi likes this.
  21. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    so what are your experience with a koenig equipped car? how about i flip it and ask u what evidence you have it dosent improve anything?

well i havent driven one but i found results of a period test from a german mag quoted by motorsports of the uk of a 305hp turbo koenig.
    https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/january-1983/34/koenigs-305-bhp-ferrari-turbo

i have spent time in 5 wind tunnels, operated one, tested in 3 full size and 2 scales with rolling roads. one of them is used by indy and F1 cars. a hey here's a little secret that most folks know... in high downforce configuration, a brick is slipperier through the air than a modern F1 car.

your views of drag decreasing performance is dated at best. nearly all cars with upgraded performance spec do have higher drag. flares, increased cooling necessities, wider rubber, brake ducting, addition areo appendages for proper axle balance do that. this is not uncommon. so when should we start nitpicking bagging on the widebody 911s and 930s? why didnt the factory run narrow bodies in races like the ruf yellow birds? its only been like 45 years since porsche turn the sublime 911 into a brick with a wide bodies? :)

as for cheap suit willy, apparently he's been racing since 61. a quick search shows he started with a formula jr cooper and raced formidable cars of the ilk of 275, 250s, gt40s, T70, 935s, 320 gr5 and his last notable win was in a M1. willy with his accomplishments gets a pass from me despite is questionable taste. but hey since you are seasoned internet jockey hero here on fchat i suppose i should listen to you instead.

thank you for the banter

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If you like the looks, that is your business.

All someone has to do is show me an aftermarket Koenig body kit on a 308 will reduce drag. That link only gives us this:

"Underneath all that swoopy and thoroughly extrovert bodywork (which I was assured was aerodynamically conceived, not just a styling whim)"

Koenig promises it is. That is pretty much it.

Just show me evidence and I'll believe it. I'm not simply taking the word of a company trying to make a sell.

23. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    nobody here is obligated to show you evidence if they contradict your opinions. do we ask you to substantiate your claims?

if you dont like the looks thats your business. i have state here already umpteen times that I dont personally care for it also but some here do. somehow you are still insinuating i do? since you have post here 27000 times, i reckon you have assumed self appointed authority chastise the car or whatever else you deem fit?

the link just shows you that, yea maybe the koeing was more than just a cheap suit body kit. independent test shows they went 0-124 mph under 20 sec, 0-100 12 sec 0-62 5.2

if low drag was the key factory for performance im wondering why every road circuit race cars that are allow to run aero appendages haven higher drag numbers?

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Translation: yep, the "aero kits" are strictly cosmetic

25. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    27000 +1 haha