308 70 profile 14" tires | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 70 profile 14" tires

Discussion in '308/328' started by teveo, Nov 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    130 MPH

2. 308ROB

308ROB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #27 308ROB, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Guy's,
    I'm not gambling on my safety and replaced my now old Dunlops back in to Michelin xwx.
    Even they are more $$ , but much more better roadholding and cornering.

A small teaser. ( you can almost smell the tires :D )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    #28 Hans, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Even though I am from Holland, I don't like Vredestein's one bit. Had them on my VW Passat years back. Total rubbish. Could be the particular model of course...

I'm not sure how it was on the GTB/GTS. On the GT4, 16 inch wheels were a factory option (from 1978 or so onwards, Europe only). Good enough for me satisfy my conciousness and go with Superformance's 16" repro wheels and modern Bridgestone tires. I now have a set of 14" stock and 15" used wheels in my basement, while I am thoroughly enjoying my 16 inchers. They handle great and look sooooo much better!!!

Hans

P.S. You be the judge on looks: A GT4 with stock wheels (pic taken from the internet), one with my previous 15" wheels and the current 16 inch repro's....

4. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks for the info Gerard.
    That seals it for me. The 16" wheels look fantastic. :)

5. UK-GT4

UK-GT4 Rookie

Oct 31, 2007
    Hersham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Agreed, the 16in Wheel does look better. The 308 in black always looks mean !

6. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Tyre ratings such as S/T/H/V are 112/120/130 and >150, all in Miles Per Hour, respectively. The limits are for a TWO Hour constant speed and therefore actually negates the need for a VR rated tyre since not many actually will run 130mph for even a one hour stretch on end..not to mention two hours ! That said, for the sake of self gratification, we normally tend to follow what's recommended....:)
    Edit : I state the above opinion with regards to the vehicle(s) in question, i.e 308GT4s etc. Due to it's age, not many I presume will be subjected to the high speeds it's capable of by their owners....

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll try the Fulda Assuro over the vintage Michelin tread, at least it's a more modern Gatorback.

Thanks for the performance info....I'll take 3.5 out of five, my gf is about that same score! :rolleyes:
    Id suspect it is the rubber compound affecting road rating, as a vintage tire would not have the compounding of a more agressive model..

I'll be talking with Goodyear Racing about that issue........;)

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Iskandar,

It is really more of a liabilty issue, as IF you ever had a problem, and loss, and the insurance company came poking around and picked up that you had installed sub standard ratings against manufacturer's specs....

Well, that's the type of thing that leaves you with a smashed car and no Insurance Coverage, here in USA!

9. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    Not to jack the thread, but Only in America would we worry about what the insurance company could find to screw us...if that IS an issue, it makes the XWX's look pretty reasonable!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dude, I have been hit by a guy INSURED BY MY OWN CARRIER!

We argued for two years to get my Ferrari repaired properly, a real eye opener for me. Thankfully on my coverage they had inspected the car, so I won that one.

I won't run XWX's, due to a sponsor relationship with Goodyear going back years, they own Fulda.
    I am hoping to buy enough of them to get an actual Goodyear logo on a run of them once they see our market.

They also have DOT 'Z' rated 14"s in Goodyear Vintage Racing Series tires, but sadly not our EXACT size..

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think if you wreck a Ferrari on improper tires, a LOT of people would find it interesting/newsworthy............;)

Especially if others are involved/hurt in the incident.

That's just my Real World experience talking, I suppose......everybody checks everything, when it hits the fan around me......

12. 308ROB

308ROB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It is not only in America it is also in Europe. you should alway's read between the lines.
    If you have a accident, and they find out that your tires are not V-or H- rated as what is written in your car papers, the insurance will not pay you any cents.

13. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Dear Bubba and All,
    Maybe my time in China has taken it's toll on my english...:) What I actually tried to say was the ratings are there for what the manufacturers at that time deem a 'must' since the cars were 150mph bolides. Said cars needs to wear them VR rated tyres as a safety margin factor. The parameters are normally the speeds that the cars are able to exceed and also the weight of the vehicles (an MBZ 116 450SEL can't get past 140mph , but it was still specced with VR rated XWX then).

You are right on the insurance thingy. Even in my homeland, quite famous for being callez faire in it's polici-ing(s), i.e Great Laws, Zilch enforcements!!, the OEM specifications will be called upon once a claim is made to the insurers and they sure ain't paying nuthin' if it's not what the said vehicle came with...

I apologize if my words came out wrong and by no means am I saying for all to go ahead and get an S rated tyre and be done with it and drive namby pamby all the while, but it's like IF there is no way in heck to obtain a proper V rated 70 series tyre, an H rated tyre should do in the interim before the V ones are available.

Best solution I believe is to run either 16" originals or Superformance's repros since they look the Dogs' Nads and tyre-wise are easy to obtain, made to modern standards and all 205/55 and 225/50 , if I'm not mistaken should satisfy or exceed the specified V rating..