308 A-arm bushings replacement. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

308 A-arm bushings replacement.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Pizzaman Chris, Nov 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    For the 10x1.25mm nuts, 38-40 ft-lbs would be appropriate...Also, to better distributute the load, I add a 10mm hardened flat washer under each nut (that the Factory did not).

David

2. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    David comes through again.:) Thank you.

I thought it was weird too about the washer. Yes, i think i will put a washer on those nuts.

3. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Please note the word "hardened" in the previous post. Is that more than a Grade 8?

4. 8KRedRacer

8KRedRacer Karting

Jun 7, 2007
    Georgetown, KY USA
    Full Name:
    Alan Bennett
    Hi Everyone,

I going to ask what is most likely a stupid question. However, do you torque the A-Arms bushings without loading (weight of the car and gravity) or is the supension fully loaded when the torque is applied? Depending on which manner you torque the A-Arms bushing will change the ride height of the vehicle.

Thanks,
    Alan

5. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    If you are using the stock rubber bushings, the suspension must be loaded, so that the rubber isn't under torsion at ride hight. If you are using any of the poly bushings, they will rotate in the housing and can be torqued up in the air.

One way to load the suspension would be to remove the wheels and lower the car on equal size blocks of wood under the outtermost end of the a arms. This will give you some room to get a wrench in there to tighten up the pivot bolts, with the car resting on the suspension.

Again, if you have poly, just torque them down.

hth,
    chris

6. 8KRedRacer

8KRedRacer Karting

Jun 7, 2007
    Georgetown, KY USA
    Full Name:
    Alan Bennett
    Chris,

Thank you for the information and I have the stock rubber bushings. I am going to load the supension just as you have suggested!

Thanks,
    Alan

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #107 Pizzaman Chris, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. 1ricardo

1ricardo Karting

Nov 14, 2012
    Brazil
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Baptista
    I know this thread is very old, but i´m avoiding to open a new one with the same topic, so here´s my question.

I saw that is better of put the car on the ground to final torque the a frame bolts, but this is a real PITA, so can i just level the A frames, parallel to the ground or at least at a know distance for both sides and then final torque the bolts?

With out the wheel and the ground this task should be easier to do.

Any thoughts?

Also I´m having a hard time to dissemble the steering terminal, any ideas how can i do that?

I already install a old nut and hammered the thing up, but had no lucky and got i little afraid of breaking something

Regard

Ricardo

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes its a pain but its how you must do it. The bushings have to be unloaded when at normal ride height.

10. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Anyone have any insight on bushings from awitalian.com? Any positives or negatives about them as a Ferrari parts seller?

Thanks

Glenn

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

11. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    In my 10yrs owning my 82 GTSi I have purchased most of my parts from AW. I have visited them once in the beginning as I did not want to chance shipping the clutch assy. Ask for Joey. Rgds Wayne

12. ExigentM

ExigentM Rookie

Jul 18, 2010
    Hamilton, Oh
    Full Name:
    Mark Kile
    I recently purchased a small part from AW, it shipped promptly and was as described.

13. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Tell me our cars are not that special. This picture tells it all, one of my favorites:

[​IMG]

14. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    #114 Hans, Feb 25, 2014
    Yeah, but they are not made out of titanium, like these: :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hans, those are works of art but no horsey. Now combine the two and we have the ultimate! (Do they say Pagani?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    I've been in the Pagani factory twice. It really is a place of magic. And they have this one big wall with little drawers containing these bolts. You'd be tempted to just buy one from them and put them on your desk, just to look at it. Ultimate man-cave stuff...

17. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    #117 guygowrie, May 31, 2015
    Old thread but the right place to ask. I recently had a small knock while driving that I traced to the upper A arm to hub bolt on the drivers side rear suspension.

With your hands you could feel movement. Tightening the bolt wouldn't work as the thread had been damaged so I ordered fresh bolt+nut from Superformance.

Reassembling tonight I torqued to 43 lbs/ft with the new bolt but I could still feel a bit of play.

Removing the bolt and all parts of that pivot point are present and ok.

I did have a dab on red thread llocker on the already tight nut - did I reach the torque spec before actually bedding all the parts together?

Any thoughts from the gallery?

This is the location ( pic stolen from earlier in the thread - pizzamans car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Presumably the conclusion has to be that the bushes are worn.

On the 308 and early 328 the bushes on the outer rear have "moving parts". (Incidentally much like the non-OEM ones some people are fitting all round the car) and will wear.

On later 328 they changed the design and fitted bonded bushes at the outer rear locations to avoid this wear issue.

19. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    That could be it. In anycase a reasonably cheap thing to tick off and be sure. Thank you.