308 aftermarket parking brake available? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 aftermarket parking brake available?

Discussion in '308/328' started by greg328, Oct 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocityengineer

velocityengineer Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    Hi Bubba,
    there is the Girodisc two piece rotor for the rear in OE size. The OE front rotor does not lend itself to being copied in two piece due to its dimensions and caliper proximity.
    The kit uses front rotors that will fit under 16" wheels, but not 14".
    Sorry, the 308 has proven to be a difficult can o worms.

Greg - Everything seems easy in our heads before we get things into pieces on the floor and panic. I have done it more times than I can count. I especially find that just before falling asleep, I am able to develop some really fantastic cars and parts, and the keebler elves toss it together in a tree...then i wake up.

Anyway, it really can be done for the rear, but its a huge PITA just for the addition of a modern performance caliper and large rotor. Like Steven says, the car has more than enough brake with the mods he has.

-Eric

2. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Eric,
    I may be calling you for 2 rear rotors......!!

Can't fault a guy for wanting to improve all 4 corners of the crappy stock 308 brakes! I ordered a nice Wilwood set (4-piston Superlights, 12 5/8" front rotors, 12" rear rotors, bias knob, accesories) for a great price from a private individual. They are unused. I guess I could just install the fronts, and get better OEM size rear rotors...

Bummer......

Greg

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Eric,
    Seems like a lucrative kit for you guys to design and offer to the many 308 owners...!

Is it not that simple? You said many mods were necessary to the hub/spindle.....

No easy bolt-on solution? Precision Brake said they could fabricate a single mount plate to house both main and e-brake calipers. No need to alter the upright......

Greg

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks!

As long as I stop before I hit something.......no worries. :) :) :)

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They don;t seem "crappy' to me, as the only other thing I have to drive.... is a bicycle!

6. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Not to completely squash your dream, but the addition/upgrade in the rear will most likely necesitate a change in master cylinder bore to limit pedal travel. Those of us that have upgraded the fronts experienced longer pedal travel due to increased front caliper piston bores. Some can be regained thru use of steel braided lines and my travel is nearly perfect or at least to my liking at this point. If I went forward with the rears, I would be looking to change master cylinder bore or maybe doing away with the booster and going with a dual cylinder set-up.

The rears are overkill unless you plan on SERIOUS track use. In fact, most people could make due with just upgrading pads and rotors for street/light track use and keep the stock calipers. The only real benefit in increased size is to disapate heat and prevent fade. Outside of BLING factor that is!!

Good luck,
    John

7. velocityengineer

velocityengineer Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    Seems lucrative yes, but sadly no.

The reality is that for the amount of 308's out there, very very few people will spend the money for this system. It simply costs too much to build these items in low volume at the quality level I demand. It was researched heavily while i was at Brembo, and I have followed up with it since at Girodisc. Selling even 10 of these kits just doesnt justify doing it for us. More guys are restoring 308s in anticipation of rising value currently. Cant blame you at all for wanting good brakes for your car. Brakes have been a big part of my living.

The mods are to the mount ears on the forward side of the upright. The ears are cast there, but not drilled or faced. No mods to the spindle. As for one rear bracket holding both calipers, it is possible. But how far are you going to hang a caliper off a bracket before there is too much flex? I looked at doing this and didnt like what I saw. I design parts to OE standards and make sure its right before I sell it to others. The liability is too great to just do something because it makes getting it done easy. What cost will Precision charge for the fabrication, I am curious.

Like I said, it is possible. I would love to see how Precision brakes or anybody else might solve the problem. I am quite sure there are sharper minds than mine who may be working on this right now.
    I hope you find a solution.
    -Eric

8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks, John. Something to consider. I do have SS brake lines, so that should help.

The reason I'm doing this, as was discussed some months ago on a different thread, is to satisfy my desire for more brake torque, and more "modulatable" brakes. I can lock up my stock fronts at will, almost too easy, so I'm not stopping, I'm skidding! With more brake torque, and better control over it, I should be able to reduce my stopping distances.
    I do have 17" Speedlines and Dunlop SP Sport 8000s.

My daily driver is a Nissan 350Z Track, with Brembos. Absolutely awesome brakes, and getting into the 308 after driving that car provides a letdown--only in the braking area!!!! I'm very pleased otherwise with my 1977 308's performance!!

Greg

9. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I heard that a 360 rear caliper will fit a 308. (In terms of mounting--assuming the proper disc size). Can anybody confirm this?

Greg

10. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Greg,
    Did you buy the kit that was on Ebay last week?
    If so, I would install the fronts and see what you think. I don't know the piston bore sizes on the Wilwoods, so doing all 4 corners may not be as big a deal as upgrading to Brembos or 360 calipers.
    I would start with the fronts. If you feel you need more, investigate the parking brake solution. It can be done, but finding a plug and play bolt on is NOT going to happen for the reasons Eric listed above. Those Girodisc cats KNOW brakes. With that said, I understand why they don't currently offer the solution. No $$$$ to offset development costs because the market will probably only demand a few sets.
    If you get to the point that you need to upgrade the master cylinder, that is opening a whole new can of worms. Do a search for PMA1010's thread on this topic and you'll see what I mean.

Again good luck. Sounds like fun.

John

11. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    It will, but requires adapters due to it being a radial mount versus lug mount caliper. Also requires a larger than stock rotor diameter (310mm minimum if memory serves correct). This still doesn't solve your parking brake issue as the 360 rear calipers have NO internal parking brake and utilize secondary parking brake calipers.

Starting sound like there is no "free lunch" huh?

John

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You should indeed. I love the set I put on mine, and heartily recommend them. They're also lighter than stock, reducing unsprung weight. Eith Eric's help (he and Martin *really* know what's what) in getting the combination right without needing a bias valve, I'm using EBC Greenstuff pads on them and Porterfield R4-S pads on the Brembo fronts (same size pads as stock Ferrari 360). Low dust, and rotor friendly all the way around, well suited for both street and occasional track. If and when I ever need to replace the front rotors from the Brembo GT kit, I'll be getting Girodisc rotors again for sure.

13. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    John,
    Yes, I bought that Ebay set. I spoke to the lister at length, and the deal seemed good. The set is brand new, unused. He's an F-Chatter also. Maybe the piston bores on the Wilwoods won't require a new MC, in the event of installing all 4....
    You're right, I'll start with the front only and see how it feels.

Mike,
    I'll probably end up doing the Girodisc rear rotors, w/ stock calipers.
    I'll take your pad recommendations into consideration.

I'm just bummed that it seems near impossible to use these new 4-piston rears....

My set includes a bias knob. Do you guys think that thing will be worth installing? I think it'd be cool to be able to control front/rear brake bias from the cockpit, even for a street car.....

Greg

14. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Yes, install the bias knob. No it's not impossible to install the rears, just unlikely you will find a way to still have an e-brake, at least cost effectively.

Throw on the fronts and the bias knob. Play with it for awhile and leave the rears for later down the road. You could probably use the rear rotors that you bought with the stock calipers if you can have adapters made to space the caliper out, provided the rotor thickness is close to stock.

John

15. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Greg,
    By the way, that brake set-up on Ebay seemed like a deal. I don't know what you paid, but his opening bid was very reasonable. You couldn't buy that stuff for twice that price and you'd still have to machine the adapters.
    If I hadn't already done mine, I would have been all over them....

John

16. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks John.

Yeah, I got a nice deal. Very fair deal. I was looking at the Girodisc 308 set, for $2800. This set was less than half that!

I like the idea of being able to use these rotors, with a caliper spacer.
    They're 12", versus 11" stock (stock rear rotors are 11", right?).

I'll do the fronts and the bias knob first. I'll post here later with the results...

Greg

17. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    For the record... just to keep in on this thread for future use

Front: Brembo calipers with clotted floating/alu rotors with stock DS1100 pads

Rear: Stock calipers with Girodisc slotted floating/alu rotors, pads are DS3000

Fluid: Motul 600

Balance is fine, braking is VERY good, no fade on the track.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks, Steve...I know you have done a heck of a lot of R&D to get to that..

The burning question in my mind is.......

Did you paint the calipers to MATCH???????

What color?

Is it high heat paint or will Duplicolor stay on there.......????? ;)

Ol' Speedy308 uses a brick for his parking brake, I've seen it.......it's a very nice St. Joe brick though, I think it came from Rice University.....

19. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #44 greg328, Oct 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can anybody exactly identify the parts in these pix? This is the set I ordered..

I know the calipers are 4-piston Wilwood Superlites, but I don't know the make of the rotors...

Still working on a park brake solution--something better than a brick hopefully...!

Greg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #45 enjoythemusic, Oct 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nope, the Brembo came in red. My rears were painted by a P.O and i plan to paint the rears to match the front (minus the Brembo logo of course).

As for the rears, i just purchased some VHT spray paint in color SP-731 Racing Red and plan to do the rear calipers next year. It claims to be good to 900 degrees F and i have measured rear brake temps at 330 degrees F after hard use at NHIS (air temp was 75F and track temp was 85F as it was an overcast day). The rears have NO brake ducts BTW and neither do the fronts but i DID remove the rear debris shield off the fronts.

i HAD planned (and have the parts) to port air to the front rotors but so far ZERO brake fade and brake temps front are close to the same as the rears. So in the end i guess paint that handles 900F is fine.

And for the record... a cheap yet safe way to get air to the fronts is to cut a hole in the cover in the wheel well just in front of the tire, then fasten a wire mesh to cover the hole on the inside (side opposite the tire) so clag does not get in your brake system. If you REALLY need to cool the fronts, i had planned to dump the front fog lights for proper intakes and duct that to the rotors using high temp 3-inch pipe. But as i said, temps have been fine so no need to run cooler as you NEED heat to keep the brakes in a good operating range (though Ferodo says the DS1100 and DS3000 pads are good at most temps and offer a virtually even coefficient at various temps).

OK, probably TMI here yet if someone wants to follow, may as well post it all here. Pics of UGLY rear calipers but with great Girodisc slotted rotors and new Brembo slotted fronts below.

21. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Anybody want to take a stab at my post #44?

Greg

22. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    See my FCA article reprint at
    http://www.fca-se.org/conc_17.htm

23. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Looks like nobody loves me anymore 'round here...........

Greg

(see post #44)

24. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Greg,

Very cool loking stuff. My guess is that the rotors are aftermarket two piece replacements for the 355 and that the aluminum thingies are centering devices because the cneter hole for the 355 discs is too large. I have yet to see any QV london pieces, but these could be part of their 355 to 308 kit.

The proportioning valve looks just like the Tilton Engineering one i just bought from Philip Arey, (or more precisely, that he gave me)

The aluminum blocks bolted to the calipers are clearly adaptors to be used with larger diameter rotors, as you have.

Do you know if this whole afair is a wilwood kit or a one off.

I am looking for discs, hats and adaptors for the 355 Brembos that i just received.

Keep the info coming,
    chris

25. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I believe this kit is a complete Wilwood kit, as per my conversation with the seller. They came with his 1977 308, uninstalled, 20 months ago when he bought it.

I'll post more info soon..

PS--I get it, "slow down dude" -- "brake" thread........! :)

Greg