308 air pump removal -- bolt is too long to get out! | FerrariChat

308 air pump removal -- bolt is too long to get out!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My friend is trying to remove the air pump from his 308. He's got the air injector plugs and knows the pros/cons of emissions equipment removal, etc.

The problem is, there's one long bolt that holds the air pump to the engine. This bolt has to come out to remove the pump. The bolt is long, and cannot get out all the way before it hits the oil cooler shroud.

OK, so the oil cooler and shrould (or shroud only) can come off via three 10mm nuts. But, there's still not enough room to maneuver the air cooler shroud around and/or out of the way of the bolt.

Anybody been there, done this?

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Remove the air pump braket that bolts to the head. Leave the bolt in the air pump,and remove entire assembly as a unit.

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

After he gets it off, I would be interested in buying all the parts!!!

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yep, Tom that was exactly it! Thanks for the timely advice.

There are THREE 17mm nuts you have to take out to remove the entire air pump mounting assembly; I used a 3/8" ratchet w/ standard shallow 17mm socket.

Now, that's left me with a number of "studs" inside the engine block; do these come out nicely?