308 airfoil | FerrariChat

308 airfoil

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by athomson, Apr 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. athomson

athomson Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    The original owner of my 308 QV, for whatever reason, sanded down and repainted (with a more glossy black) the rear airfoil. Does anyone know a good method to restore the airfoil to original condition? The "textured" finish is almost completely gone. I want it to exactly match the finish of the removable top. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Mine had been sanded and painted at least once when I decided it need it again, but after I sanded it, almost all the texture was gone. Sounds just like yours. All it need was paint remover to get off all the old paint that was filling in the texture. Then I painted it with satin black, it came out great.

3. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    If I remember correctly these had a pebbly texture to them...3m or sema offer a texture coat in a spray can that if done correctly will duplicate the texture...it would then have to be sprayed with a coat of semi-gloss. I have used this stuff to duplicate the light pebbly texture on rocker pannels. trick is not to use too much paint.

4. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Either a grained or smooth finish came from the factory. I don't know what or if there was a logic to which car got what part.

You can buy a grained spoiler from Ferrari UK for quite a reasonable price.
    But the smooth finish is big $. Go figure.