308 ANSA or Tubi Exhaust | FerrariChat

308 ANSA or Tubi Exhaust

Discussion in '308/328' started by MD11pilot11, Sep 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MD11pilot11

MD11pilot11 Rookie

Sep 16, 2021
    I'm considering a new exhaust for my 308 QV but it seems like there are very few actual good videos with good sound of the different exhausts. Can anyone share some input on these two if they own them. Obviously the Tubi is very popular but I was told the ANSA would be a lot quieter is that true. Thank you for any information!

2. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My GT4 came to me with an ANSA, it is much quieter than a Tubi but throatier than stock. My only problem with them is that ANSA's are made with low grade materials and degrade at an alarming rate. After a few years you have to start patching it back together. I have had them on other cars with the same result. Tubi, Capristo, Nouvalari and the like are made with very high quality materials but are very loud, marketed more for track days or drivers that want to be noticed. I sort of equate them with Harley riders, ever see a Harley with a quiet exhaust? Ever see a Harley driver that didn't want to be as loud as possible? Me neither. I am still in search for the middle ground between ANSA and Tubi.

MFlanagan likes this.
  3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I have installed a few Ansa's lately and the install has never gone quite according to plan. I have always had to alter something to get the fit just right. The Nouvalari system I recently installed was absolutely perfect. Not at all too loud IMO, went with the 'sport' system as opposed to 'super sport' which is even louder. Highly recommended.

dinogt4guy likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ansa was pretty much always like that even on vintage 12's. Lots of saws, tubing cutters and welding equipment pretty much SOP.

And yes, they rust like there is no tomorrow.

From the rider of one of thousands of quiet Harleys. Nice story, just not true.

dinogt4guy and Ferraripilot like this.
  5. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    When I bought my 308 it had a rusted out Ansa on it. I bought one of the stainless mufflers from Superformance and was very happy with it. Fairly deep note , just a little quiet for what I was looking for. About 18 months ago I purchased a Tubi and very happy with it. It’s pretty loud if you’re flooring it, but very reasonable at normal acceleration and cruising speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Interesting comments on the quality and longevity of the ANSA exhaust. I have had mine since 2014 and it was probably on the car long before that without any issues. From a sound perspective I can’t really tell as the induction noise coming from the carbs is all that I can here. When I walk behind the car when it’s sitting idle/warming up before a drive, it sounds sporty without being too loud.

7. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
  8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ANSAs as everyone states are made of "alumunized steel" a coating.

Stainless fab of course is....stainless.

Both ANSA and IIRC Tubi offer "Street" and "Sport" levels of sound.

An ANSA in my experiences gains "tone" as the packing burns out.
    They also gave me pricing for my three cars, that made comparig them to a $5K stainless system a no brainer

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    prober34 likes this.
  10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    TUBI is the best, its that simple, I have had one on my 328 for 22 years, its not to loud even when on the gas hard, its a period correct sound for the 328 / 308 . The Capristo is whats to loud, as well as being a non correct period sounding exhaust. The TUBI build quality is second to none , 85,000 miles ( since installation 105 k miles overall ) and still going strong on my 89 GTS. TUBI , test pipe , K & N filter will wake your car up , as well as having your motor run cooler, with a lot less heat in the motor compartment overall, which will increase the life of your engine.

Big G

11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a couple of youtube videos of my QV with the Ansa exhaust going full throttle and one accelerating hard from full stop. Let me know if you want to see the video I can post it, it sound really good.

I don’t have the Ansa anymore as I replaced it when the LARINI exhaust which I s another good exhaust for the 308/328

12. JimMA

JimMA Rookie

Sep 6, 2018
    MA, USA
    Full Name:
    JimMA
    My QV has a Tubi installed by the previous owner. At first it seemed loud. It is not as loud in the cabin with the top on and/or windows up with the top down, but you won't be listening to the radio much. I can "regulate" the cabin noise with the accelerator and gear selection depending on if I have to talk to someone who is with me. (The previous owner said his Wife said "You paid how much to make it louder?" when he installed it.). It does get some attention from cars around it when you get on it a bit. I run quiet pipes on my bikes, but I like the sound "barrier" as well as just the "sound" this provides me. YMMV.

13. MD11pilot11

MD11pilot11 Rookie

Sep 16, 2021
    Thanks for everyone’s input! I didn’t know about the ANSA quality I do like the black with the tips look, it’s very classic Ferrari. But after reading all this it sounds like at some point I’ll be getting the Tubi. I want the car to be loud. I only ever drive it for fun so comfort isn’t something I’m looking for.

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    FWIW, the "fun" can go out of "loud" pretty quickly if you want to be in the car for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. ;) Heck, I had to wear ear plugs with my stock mufflers when I drove my 328 across the US three times. Of course, 12-14 hours/day in the driver's seat is quite different than a 20-30 minute weekend jaunt! :)

MD11pilot11 and Rifledriver like this.
  15. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I did a short video last year of my Euro 308 QV, no cats, with the Standard (not the louder Race) Tubi muffler and headers. GoPro inside the cabin, and another GoPro with external microphone by the license plate.

Cheers,
    Gordon

corey1 and Jbrauer like this.
  16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Good, useful video; well done. It would convince me NOT to buy a Tubi due to the noise and probably convince others to do precisely the opposite! :)

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I got over noisy street cars when I was 20. Our Ferraris both have stock mufflers and will stay that way as long as we own them . Besides loud cars attracted too much attention and I paid for that with a lot of tickets. I dont drive any different and I bet my last moving violation was over 20 years ago.

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "I got over noisy street cars when I was 20."

I was slower to learn...probably in my mid 30's! :)

19. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I don't think the sound from the GoPro in the cockpit is that loud - it's easy to listen to the radio and converse at highway speeds, even with the top off. The microphone by the license plate definitely sounds loud, but that might be my non-existent editing skills at fault (and that most of the video was recording full throttle runs), and might be hard to judge without a similar recording of a stock muffler for comparison.

I ended up with the Tubi headers and (Standard) muffler after the rear header #2 primary tube cracked completely around, 2" from the flange, in October 2014. I'd had the car just over a year at that point, and when I removed the rear header discovered that it had been rewelded on 3 of the primary tubes several times - it was junk, in other words! Additionally, the factory muffler had several rattles, suggesting that the internal baffles had come loose.

On inquiring about header and muffler options, I got a great deal on the Tubi set from T Rutlands - I assume that the Euro versions didn't sell a lot in North America, and they didn't mind moving a set that was probably in stock for a while.

Gordon

20. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    I had a stainless QV London exhaust on my QV when I got it 4 years ago and I’ve always found it too noisy and ‘rorty’, but I got lucky and bought an unused original ANSA from a fellow Fcar owner and it sounds so much better. Loud enough but deeper in tone and much more refined.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry for the poor video as this was done 9 years ago but the sound of the Ansa is just right for me until I wanted a different tone and went with Larini exhaust.

ProvaMo likes this.
  22. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Sound is SO subjective, but I've liked Ansa over the years, largely because they were the factory 308 supplier for euro sport exhaust systems... but I concur, they're of lower quality materials and can wear out quicker than others on my carb cars. I purchased a SuperformanceUK SS exhaust a couple of years ago... looks great parked in my basement. But now you all have me thinking to look at "Tubi"

23. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    i have a tubi
    the gtb is more sound proof when the window are up than the gts
    I like the deeper tone down low and the higher pitches when i am in the revs.
    quality is good. car was lifted today and it looks as the day i purchased it

24. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Hello everyone - My 5 cents

I installed ANSA 1 year ago replacing the original USA muffler.

Sound: much better and right at any level, low enough when cruising, powerful when pushing. Still the Tubi is more extreme.

Installation: never right out of the box. But if the mechanic has done 2 or 3 before, they will make right.

Quality: not good. Back coating is becoming powder due to heat. Steel will preveal but i will have to properly coat it again in some years time.

Regulacions and certifications: ANSA is the period correct option. So if your country's regulations require the right spare parts to classify the car as "classic" or if you plan to "certify" the car, ANSA will be your one and only option.

Kind Regards

25. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    corey1 likes this.