308 ATE Brake calipers... | FerrariChat

308 ATE Brake calipers...

Discussion in '308/328' started by Peter, Jan 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I've taken on many projects this winter and they include doing the shock absorbers, suspension bushings/ball joints, steering rack, timing belt job (six years since I last did it!), fluid changes, and the whole braking system (replacing hard lines, hoses [man, some of the date codes on them were Sept. & Nov. 1974!] and rebuild the calipers).

My question is, what was the original finish on these ATE calipers? On a few Porsche-parts websites, they show them as being gold-cadmium plated. Is that what they looked like when new? Instead of actually plating them, would those commercially-available paints be suitable for them (I think Eastwood makes a series of silver and gold cadmium-simulated paints)?

Thanks in advance.

2. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    I'd like to know this too Peter. Mine are originals and after I cleaned them up some, my "guess" so far is that they were silver (raw cast steel).

Anybody...............?

3. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Peter, how have you been? Thanks for all your previous help with various projects I have undertaken on my 77 308 GTB....

I recently purchased an ATE brake inside caliper plug from AW Imported Auto Parts out of Eatontown, NJ..... contact link to them is attached....according to T Rutland's, these folks rebuild these calipers, and carry many parts for them....I would bet they could answer your question....

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/product-compint-0001275329-page.html

Neil

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    When I did the clean-up on my ATE calipers last spring, they came up gold cad-plated. I could not get them to look like new, but they clearly were gold toned. Hope that helps. I didn't bother painting or replating mine as my car is a driver.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'd check with Eastwood to make sure that their golden cad finish will take the heat a caliper generates. I don't think those are high temp coatings.

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Hey Neil, great to hear from you! I've been busy as heck! How have you been?

Thanks for the link, I'll check them out. As for the plug, that's for the rear calipers, correct? As per Steve Magnusson's article in FML many years ago, he suggested using the plug available from "Performance Products", a Porsche-parts supplier (which turns out is made by Weltmeister) and I'll need a set. The plugs you have, are they made by Weltmeister too?

7. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I was thinking about that when I posted this thread.

You wouldn't happen to know if another manufacturer has something that is similar?

And generally speaking, what type of prep do I need to do if I decide in the end, to have them plated and what about after? I can imagine that the piston bores will get plated as well and that plating will obviously have to be removed (by honing)? As you can see, painting is a more appealing option as these areas can simply be masked off.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Thanks, that helps confirm colour then.

I too am not on a quest to achieve "concours" quality, but I do want to go as far as having a very presentable car, including the undercarriage. Besides, it would look silly to have a freshly-painted suspension arm, shiny hardware and then have a sh--- looking caliper hanging off it all... ;)

9. Kingpin328

Kingpin328 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    #9 Kingpin328, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Paint 'em red with eastwood high temp caliper paint!! :D

11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The correct finish is gold cadmium plating. There are some images on my suspension restoration thread from a few years back:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55636&highlight=suspension

The images of the calipers are a little washed out by the flash so they are quite a bright gold colour (much like any gold cad bolt you would buy new). I have no experience with the Eastwood plating paints however I find it tough to match that colour with a paint as the CAD has a very rainbow like look to it as light reflects off of it.

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Thanks for posting that.

Although, that appears to me at least, to be just raw cast-iron (the clip/backing of the fixed pad is gold-cad plated...).

13. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Yuk!

14. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Thanks for posting that thread... Excellent. And I know what you mean about the rainbow effect that appears with plating. I can gather, that it probably doesn't turn out the same way when doing it with paint!

The more I think about this, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that just for expediencies sake, and to give me less work (I have enough already!), that I'll simply paint the calipers in a high-temp, bright gold paint to get the closest result (not the cadmium-simulated stuff). As I said, I'm not going for the "concours" job, I just want to protect the calipers from dirt and corrosion and achieve an "original" look (not red! Yuk!).

At least with all of these pictures, I now know just how bright and shiny the gold has to be.

On another note, where did you get your brake rotors? All four of mine are at the minimum thickness and can't be turned down, I need all new ones.

15. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Peter, just been busy working on the 77 308 GTB this WInter (changing all fuel/vent hoses, worked the left front suspension sag problem, etc)....next task is to replace the rear brake hoses....
    It appears you have determined the original color of the rear calipers....
    The caliper plug I ordered from AW Imported Auto Parts of Eatontown, NJ was for the right rear caliper, as the original one (which needed to be removed via an allen wrench) got stripped, the new one has a hex head.....it was not cheap however ($29), but I only changed this one.....the left rear original one is still fine...the receipt was for part # FER HB5, but it didn't state if it was manufactured by Weltmeister or not....The enclosure that came with the delivery stated these folks provide ATE brakes rebuild services (new ATE seals, pistons, plating), they also rebuild steering racks, and receive parts from Italy monthly. Good luck with your list of Ferrari tasks you are working this Winter, very aggressive!

Neil

16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I have no choice, this stuff is way past due! ;)

17. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Understood....last time I recall you were rebuilding your distributors....am sure that all turned out well....

Neil