308 Backfire/Missing Help | FerrariChat

308 Backfire/Missing Help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by andy308, Mar 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I have a 1982 308 GTSI and about a month or so ago it started running rough, the tach would swing back and forth and the car would miss, then it would backfire. So I figured something was arcing over and proceeded to change all 8 spark plugs. Result was no change. So I changed all 8 ceramic spark plug extenders (got them from Ricambi) and again no change. Next I researched the plug wires (thanks to Ferrarichat search feature) and replaced them all with the Accel Spark Plug wires and that seemed to solve the problem. The car ran great for about a month (about 300-400 miles worth).

Yesterday I am driving and again it starts to run rough, the tach again starts bouncing all over the place and the backfires begin again. It seems to occur in all gears between 2000-4000 rpm. I can't believe these new wires would go bad in 1 month.

Am I missing something here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not sure what you mean by the tack bouncing all over the place?
    Do you mean that tack AND the engine speed are changing dramatically,
    Or that the engine speed remains constant, and just the tack needle is bouncing around?
    Just a guess, but if just the tack needle is bouncing around and the engine speed seems to remain constant, it's probably a poor electrical connection to the ignition. Could be something as simple as a loose or oxidized connection at a fuse, or a loose wire in the ignition circuit.
    I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in with a more specific probable cause to get you sorted out.

3. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The engine speed is fine just the tach is bouncing all over the place just as it starts missing then the backfire occurs a moment later.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    This is an indication that the problem is not in the rotor-cap-wires-extender-spark plug part of the system. The tach signal (when the tach gauge itself is not broken) is a derived signal coming from one of the Digiplex ECUs (i.e., having the tach signal go bonkers and the engine backfiring/stumbling at the same time indicates that the firing events for that bank are not occuring at the right times).

IMO, the area you should be investigating is the flywheel sensors-Digiplex ECUs-coils part of your ignition system (see pages 70-71 in your OM). One thing you might try is just switching Digiplex ECUs:

if the problem then becomes "the tach works OK, but the bad running still occurs" that would be a bad sign for one of the Digiplex ECU

if the problem remains the same, I'd be more suspicious of the flywheel sensors or coils (and switching the coils might be a next step if this is the case).

Good hunting!

miketuason likes this.
  5. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    The tach runs solely off the front bank ECU (cyl 5-8, under rear window) thus an iratic tach is a sign of problems on that bank.

Your problem most likely lies with a Ground Failure in the luggage compartment (left side) where the ECU are mounted and the their Grounds are attached (to a bolt that holds the ECU mounting plate down, lift the carpet up and you will see a metal plate with 4 bolts...the ECU's are mounted underneath to that plate).
    Run a ground wire (10 or 12 GA) from where the coils are mounted back into the luggage compartment and connect it to the grounds for the ECU's. Follow the vaccum advance tubing.
    Even if you find the ground bolt loose do the upgrade as the ground will fail eventually in every 308 as they age.

I have now had to this in 5 308's that have developed floating grounds in the lugage compartment.
    I would recomend that anyone with a 308/328 do this upgrade.

Paul

6. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    OK, I switched the Digiplex units to see if I could narrow things down a little more. After I switched them the car seems to run fine again. I possibly have re-established a good ground again by messing around with it. I will add the extra ground wire this weekend just because it is obviously a good idea. I will take it to work tomorrow and see how she runs.

Thanks guys!

7. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Ok guys, I drove the car a little more (30 miles) after I switched the digiplex units. It still runs rough at times but not nearly as bad (still not 100% though). Now the tach instead of bouncing between 1000-4000 rpm's will twitch a bit betweeen 3000-4000 rpm and then it starts running rough again. It does not seem to backfire but it does have a little "poof" coming from the exhaust when the tach twitches now.

I am confused, help!

8. sp308qv

sp308qv Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    South Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve Ponzetto
    I had the same problem, ended up being the Alternator bracket being worn out and going slack, check the belt and all connections, hope this helps, good luck

9. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Did you do the ground update?????

10. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I added the ground wire this afternoon (Sunday) and took it out for a 10-15 test drive during which it ran fine. I will keep my fingers crossed that this did it. I REALLY appreciate all the advice and hope this has solved the problem once and for all!

THANKS

11. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    It will.
    If you own a 308/328 do the ground update as explained above.

12. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I drove about 200 miles over the weekend with no issues. Thanks for all the great advice. I never even knew those digiplex units were there.

Thanks again!

13. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Hi Paul: I have an 82 Mondial. The tach was erratic, but now the only symptom is power loss. What does the ECU look like?
    Thanks
    Sam

14. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini
    #14 F308fan, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    I’ve been battling what seem to be ignition misfires for the last few months, should have looked harder at these grounds when I’d checked them earlier. Even if they aren’t the source of my problem right now they were on borrowed time.

I’d previously checked/cleaned these grounds a few months ago and thought they were good. There didn’t seem to be a lot of corrosion externally, so I just cleaned them up and cleaned the mating surfaces and bolted them back in the stock location. Since then I’ve cleaned then replaced the crankshaft position sensors, reinspected the new spark plugs and extenders, replaced broken distributor rotors and damaged distributor caps (thought for sure they’d fix it), replaced the ignition wires (twice ), ordered new ignition coils, and in the meantime decided to add auxiliary Digiplex module grounds as Paul recommended.

I clipped the existing eyelets off and stripped the tip of the wire again, found corrosion all they way around just under the insulation. The inside wires were fine, but the outside wires that were in contact with the crimped eyelets were corroded. I then proceeded to add auxiliary 10 gauge grounds from the coil mounting bracket directly to the ECU cases.

I’ll have to drive it for a while to know if it’s actually fixed (it’s fooled me several times before), but I’ve got confidence now that they WON’T be giving me any problems from now on.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    This is my vote. I'm not sure if your Model Year has a protection relay as well for the ECU.(s)... but that could be your culprit as well. in my car the relay was lose and would wiggle out over a bump or vibation. I just used a zip tie to ensure its seated.