308 Battery Replacement | FerrariChat

308 Battery Replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by chfengr1, Aug 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chfengr1

chfengr1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Help! Can anyone suggest possible non-oem battery options for my '84 308 GTS i QV? When I bought 7 yrs ago, had an Interstate that fit perfectly. Unfortunately, when that died a year later, I didn't record the model no. (shame on me!); went to Sears, got the closest DieHard "replacement" for the Interstate (they could not recommend a DieHard model, as Ferrari 308 was not in their database). When I got the new battery home, found I had to surgically alter its base flanges to fit the car's mounting bracket scheme. Now I need a new battery and would like one that fits perfectly without cutting it up.
    Thanks!
    Ray

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Bosch is what's in mine, IIRC

Don't have it handy though.......

Anyone use this one??

3. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Funny that your Die Hard was too big, I'd be curious what model that was.
    The brackets on my 78 are just a hair too large to effectively clamp the standard sizes of batteries. I just put in a Die Hard I think I got a group 78? It fits, but isn't retained all the way by the clamp. Batteries theoretically should all be the same size, but I'm sure there are variances. There are quite a few threads wherein people discuss what variety of Optima battery they put in their cars. Do a search on that.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I use Optima batteries in all my cars. Optima makes a reverse pole battery if you car requires same. I used an "orange top" Optima which has reversed poles in my ex-348 Spider which required that.

5. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Interstate in my '85 308...I had similar problem with Interstate, though. Died after only a couple weeks. Each time, I went to the Interstate distributor and got another one. Each one died soon after...then I went to a local garage and bought an Interstate...been in the car for 3 years. I called Interstate and was reimbursed for the purchase. They told me they had a faulty lot of batteries go out. You should have returned the battery...Interstate would have stood behind the product.

Interstate is the only company I know of that makes a battery with the poles reversed, as required in the 308.

6. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Just dropped a new Optima Red Top battery in my 308 about a month ago...I purchased the model that has both the top and side post terminals...purchased from local AutoZone for roughly $130 or so. Fit perfectly...even better than the larger size battery that was already in the car.

I now have Optima Red-Tops in both the TR and 308....with no problems to date whatsoever.

FWIW, I hooked up the battery tender overnight to the Optima after installation in the car just to ensure it was fully topped off before driving. If I don't get a chance to drive either of the cars within a couple weeks or so, then I top them off with the battery tender unit.

7. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Good point...I forgot to mention it....After all my battery problems, Algar Ferrari of Philadelphia suggested that I put a battery tender on...they installed it for me for less than $75.00...they said they put battery tenders on all new cars too...well worth the money.

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Optima red-top in my 1984 308GTSi/QV USA model. It's great.

9. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Optima here too.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I believe the correct size for the 308/328 should be the size 34R. That is a size 34 battery, but with the terminals in the reverse position. If you take a standard 34, and flip it around, the cables may not reach.

You should also be able to fit one of the new "universal" size batteries like the 78/34. This has the side terminals (for the 78 size) and has the top terminals closer to the mid line, so if you flip it around, the cables should still reach.

Both sizes are available in "standard" type batteries available from Interstate, Sears or Costco (btw, Costco's "Kirkland Signature" batteries are made by Exide, the same oem as the Sears "diehard"). Optima also makes batteries in the same three sizes.

You can get a Costco 78/34 with 900 CCA for $59. Quite a bargain.

The only Optima Costco carries is the smaller 75/35 with 720 CCA, which should still be fine. I think the factory spec is for a 550 to 600 CCA battery.

Dave