308 Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir 108802 | FerrariChat

308 Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir 108802

Discussion in '308/328' started by Du_Man, Jan 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
  2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    That part number is on the superperformance uk web site but looks a bit different, might do the job and $100 in your money. Look under 308 brakes section
    Is that 2 sets of wires ?

3. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    I didn't see a "308 brakes section", and couldn't find a reference searching the part interchange section for reservoirs.
    The reservoir on UK SuperFormance p/n 108802 doesn't match my original, at least the picture doesn't match my 1979 308 GTS USA reservoir which is the same as the OP picture above with 2 sets of 2 wires (maybe different Euro vs. US spec?)
    The Mercedes Benz part number 310049 looks the same on the top, but the nipples going into the Master Cylinder appear offset, see pics of MB vs. my 308 here.
    There are plenty of the MB 310049 reservoirs available on eBay and other places, I may buy one to rebuild mine by harvesting the bottom seals, three caps and electrical connections... has anyone tried this? Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I noticed the offset....the distance between nipples is about 85mm on our reservoir. I will probably order one off of eBay for $85 - the offset should not matter if the distance is the same. We, I guess have the "early style" reservoir

5. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Derek- tag, you're it, looking forward to hearing the results. If I order an $85 unit, will do the same!

6. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Let's give it a try! I'll order tonight

I did find that classic Alfa Romeo 116 series cars share the exact reservoir...but still pricey
    http://www.highwoodalfa.com/116%20mech/1alfa_romeo_116engine_brakes.htm

It was weird when I googled for the 308 reservoir, that the Mercedes unit was in the search pages but I could not find the reasoning for the reference.

7. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Good to hear, and nice find on the Alfa interchange source. Also tried searching, all I could find was the same Highwood Alfa source, and concur, with the current exchange rate to the £, about twice the MB unit. I will try to get my original reservoir main body cleaned up to see if it could benefit from a new $85 MB donor.

8. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Reservoir 310049 for the 1980 Mercedes 450 looks to fit my 1980 GTSi with the early style reservoir!

But you may not like the angle - I think the vacuum hose tube can be rotated a little clockwise to clear the electrical connectors.

On another note......I have stared into the abyss and it has stared back at me.......

I didn't know about the hidden A/C high-pressure switch (blue arrow)......looks to be a Ranco G23-5052 A/C High-Pressure Control - also available on eBay/etc.

I am shocked by the thinness of the fiberglass panel under the brake booster. I plan to spray LizardSkin on the "interior side" of the fiberglass panel with the ceramic heat insulation and maybe the sound control coating. I will probably not coat the exterior side with the LizardSkin but just prep, seal and spray with MasterSeries ag111 satin black. But the windshield wiper system must come. Definitely needs attention before the abyss is once again covered over.

9. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Dereck- Good pics, and nice to hear the Mercedes master cylinder reservoir works on the 308.
    Interesting, so center-to-center distance between the reservoir output tubes is the same as the original, only offset?
    Thank you, I learned something new: never heard of LizardSkin, sounds like a spray-on version of DynaMat (no affiliation to either)

10. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I have an MC rebuild kit heading my way from Superformance, so I will compare the rubber reservoir seats/grommets(?) to the ATE kit. But yes, the tubes are the same distance. The centered black refill cap should be viewable/accessible when all the frunk body bits are all back on the car.

I am going to try and attack the "heat" that generates within the interior with the Lizardskin coating and then add some SecondSkin panels (like DynaMat) on top/plus doors to dampen sound and add some extra heat insulation.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-footwell-temperature-measurements-where-the-heat-comes-from.438007/#post-142926676
    Jonny Law's thermal images are enlightening.