308 Break Bleeding | FerrariChat

308 Break Bleeding

Discussion in '308/328' started by wakko, Sep 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    Ok got the clutch done, and while in the air I spun the front wheels, I cringed when the left front wheel vibrated as it spun. The bearing started to eat itself. I replaced the front bearings and put the brakes all back together. Does anyone know if these are a front / rear split system or a dual / diagonal split system? Main question is do I have to bleed the rears?

Thanks

2. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    If you merely removed the caliper and put it aside (w/o cracking the brake line off the caliper) in the process of changing the wheel bearings then you shouldn't have to do any bleeding. However, if you cracked the brake line off the caliper to do the bearing then yes, you should bleed both front and rear. It's a dual f/r circuit system.

3. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    Thats what I do on most cars, but the line to the caliper looked like a rigid mount so I split the caliper in half and put it back together. So far I have done a gravity bleed, and I am thinking of either doing the 2 man bleed, or getting the one man psi bottle bleed system.

4. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just my opinion, but....as long as you've gone to the trouble of getting brake fluid on your hands, may as well just flush the whole system and put some new fluid in.

Yes, the brakes will work for a long time with old nasty fluid, but the system will end up rusted and need rebuilding like mine since nobody ever changed the fluid.

5. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Understood. I think if you review some prior f-chat posts regarding bleeding these ferrari brakes, you'll find they have a reputation for being particularly difficult to gravity bleed, and often require a pressure or vaccum bleeder to do the job. I have both, and through the use of both have had good results, but it's a pain in the rear (and the front) no doubt....

Good luck!

6. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    If you "split" the calipers and did not replace the small o-rings then you might have a problem when you do a pressure bleed. Usually we would just remove the caliper and swing it aside on it's flex hose. It is a split system (front/rear) so when you bleed just do the standard right rear , left rear , right front and left front. Pretty simple process. I replaced all of my bleeder nipples with "speed bleeders" and do the bleeding is an easy 1 man job.

7. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Whats a 'speed bleeder'

8. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    It's a special bleed valve/screw that allows for a one-man brake pedal bleed. It has a built-in check valve, so you just crack it open, attach your catch bottle tube, step on the brake pedal a couple of times, and go back and close the valve. No need for someone to be at the wheel opening and closing it to prevent bleed-back of air or old fluid.

Personally, I don't like them. I'd rather do it the old fashioned way, 'cause I know it works and I can see what's coming out as it is coming out. But for someone who doesn't have an extra person to help, it's an alternative.

9. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    Yeah, ya know, I really should and will now that someone called me on it. I haven't been able to drive the car for a season and it is killing me, but I guess I don't want to get it back on the road for the sole purpose of killing me because the breaks don't work correctly. I'm going to buy the psi bleeder that is listed on another post here. The fluid swap would be good for the system too.

Just wanted to drive before snow..... :(

10. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    sounds like a great invention.

Like you, I'll have to stick with the old fashioned way with 2 people. It's one of the few maintenance things I do on the car that the wife can help with. (makes her feel important)

11. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Exactly!!! After the last time I did a brake bleed, my fiance bragged to everyone how she "helped work on the car." LOL

12. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    #12 Crallscars, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    Yep, it puts them in a different class when the guys are standing around telling stories of their last car repair project. My wife even helps drop engines in cars and has even helped put bodies back on chassis

13. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Some day, years from now, you're all going to end up buying a Motive brake bleeder or get one as a gift or whatever. When that time comes, I promise you'll realize you were wrong all along and you should have bought one years ago.

It's totally worth it. It makes this rotten job so incredibly simple.

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I have the $20 suction bleeder from Harbor Freight. Works like a charm except that some air inevitably gets sucked from the bleeder screw threads/hose seal making it difficult to know when all the air is out. It's good to have a helper pump the brake in the traditional way to verify the air is gone.

However, If you don't break the brakes, you can do a flush in a flash.

dave

15. Declan1

Declan1 Karting

Mar 15, 2007
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Great advise, this was a fun and easy one man project. Buy the motive bleeder some blue racing fluid and start at the left rear, right rear, left front, right front. When it comes out blue you know its new. While you are there, replace the pads there is another thread on "brake pads" that has a lots of advice and pictures I posted of the above referenced motive and brake products.

16. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I use a pressure bleeder on my trailers, but gotta give the wife a chance to participate.

17. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    +100 for the Motive Bleeder. Makes the job incredibly simple and accurate. Don't bother with anything else.

18. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I was looking into getting one of these as a Christmas gift for myself, but then I got the Griots catalog and saw this one.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tools/specialty+tools/one-person+brake+bleeder.do?search=basic&keyword=Brake+bleeder&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Any thoughts?

19. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    I agree the Motive bleeder makes things super easy. However, check Birdman's warning:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279642

20. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Good Point Birdman.

I use to have an AMMCO pressure bleeder from a former employer, it worked great, had lots of adaptors that I kept after the internal diaphragm burst. The one thing I remember is that is used a hydraulic hose from the pressure bleeder to the adapters.

21. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #21 Owens84QV, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
    Amen. With the Motive, you can literally bleed all 4 wheels in 20-25 minutes...super simple. To heed Birdman's warning, I did change all the hose on mine.