308 Campagnolo Wheels Magnesium or Aluminum or Alloy? | FerrariChat

308 Campagnolo Wheels Magnesium or Aluminum or Alloy?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, Oct 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I have been looking for a set of early 7.5x14" 308 5 star Campagnolo wheels and having a hard time finding a perfect set for concours. I have been thinking about fixing my original ones up but they have some bad dings from the old time tire changing guys. I have talked to several very knowledgable individuals and even wrote Campagnolo and I have got several conflicting answers.

It may seem academic but welding, painting, stripping, or blasting magnesium would have its idiosyncracies. Peter Rychel refinished his but they look like they were in much better shape to begin with:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34634&highlight=308+wheels

If anyone knows the answer and clear this up for good please chime in!

Maybe I should start a poll :)

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Robert
    I have a set of take offs from my car sitting in my basement. They are in good or very good condition. How can I help?

I understand they are magnesium
    Philip

3. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    #3 Matt Morgan, "Kermit", Oct 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is an old trick I have been useing for years. I'm often brought different castings, and it is virtually impossible to tell the differance between Magnesium, and aluminum. A drop of Tinner's Fluid, on a spot that doesn't show will tell right now. If it is Mag, it will bubble, turn black, etc. If the material is aluminum, there will be no reaction at all, just as though water were sitting on it. This is due to the slightly acidic content of the fluid, which should be easily found in a hardware store or plumbing supply. Handle with caution of course.
    HTH
    Kermit
    Image Unavailable, Please Login