Buy

308 Carb 3 way fuel valve

Discussion in '308/328' started by DonB, Mar 19, 2021.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    OK....

This was covered previously on FChat but thought I'd bring it to the forefront again. Perhaps it might help someone.

So forever it seems my '79 U.S. 308 didn't run quite right. The carbs had been rebuilt, and the ignition was/is perfect. All stock with exception of CAT by-pass pipes and no air pump and associated parts (all in a box on the shelf).

However, the car has been a bit difficult to start after sitting for a spell and when starting out driving, it would "spit" through the carbs (I installed Weber individual air cleaner assemblies and everything through the carbs can be heard). If I shifted to a higher gear the spitting would stop.

After warming up it ran OK but still it would occasionally "spit" while cruising and when accelerating it would stumble going from low circuit to high on the carbs.

Well the other day a fuel drip near the filter assembly revealed a leaking 3 way valve (PN 111790) that is present on U.S. cars but not Euro cars. This was confirmed by FChat and by checking the parts diagrams for the two models. Well these valves are NLA of course so out came the JB Weld. After fixing the leak, but prior to reinstalling it, I decided to check flow through the valve. What flow? There was virtually none. The system, having previously been checked, had pressure but apparently the flow volume wasn't checked.

So, once again relying on FChat info, I completely eliminated the valve and ran a straight line from the pump (a Facet unit) to the carbs. Whoa Nelly! Does it run now! Ladies and Gentlemen it's like a new car. No spitting, no stumbling, just pure fun. And the induction noise coming from those 4 carbs is heaven, especially near red line! It's just simply amazing how well carbs work when they actually get the correct amount of fuel! Who knew? :)

FYI, for the new fuel line I used Weatherhead cloth wrapped 5/16" fuel line from NAPA. It's very expensive but very high quality.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Recently had the same issue and did the same thing. Checked fuel pressure and was in spec. Ran great.

4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    What was the purpose of this valve that is not needed?

Doug

5. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I'd like to see a picture of this. I don't remember this part on my car.

6. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    OK - I see now.

It's a 70's emissions part. I had one on my old BMW 2002 as well - and a guy recommended I yank it off and throw it in the neighbor's pool.

Mine is missing - I'm plumbed directly from the fuel pump to the carbs. I know, because I ran the line from the carbs directly to the pump.

Changing the fuel line is an excellent idea. I bought some Viton hose from Jegs for all my under hood fuel lines. It's resistant to the Ethanol, and I know it's fine with volatile hydrocarbons up to 400 F, because we tested that at work.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Not emissions. Safety feature. If fuel hose down stream of this device is ruptured, the low / zero pressure causes the valve to shut off the fuel to the suction side of pump.

9. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

It sounds like a check valve that prevents fuel from flowing backwards. I also removed this from my 79 308 years ago when it started leaking.

10. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Is there a suitable replacement valve?

11. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yes - nothing.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Interesting how the Europeans of the era didn't worry too much about certain things!

14. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    We're fortunate here in Florida since we can get non ethanol 89 Octane gas at the pump..for rec purposes of course ;-) We're also able to get 100 Octane leaded aviation fuel that's available for the Air Boat guys (about $4/gal). That works really well in my car, and the smell is good too not to mention the nice white/gray tail pipes!

thorn likes this.
  15. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    With the crappy fuel line the cars came with, I see why they had the valve.

Modern SAE J30, R9 fuel injection hose, cures the crappy fuel line problem, it is high pressure rated and immune to ethanol gas.

Doug

16. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    It is used to stop fuel from fuel pump in case of an accident which causes the fuel line from pump to carbs to be severed. In an accident, the fuel pump would continue to run and feed fuel to the fire.

17. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
  18. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Actually not a bad idea. Perhaps mount it in line on the negative cable that goes from the pump to the chassis? However it's too cheap. If it's going on a Ferrari it needs to cost at least $200 maybe..or more?