308 carb airbox restriction discovered | Page 18 | FerrariChat

308 carb airbox restriction discovered

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by snj5, Feb 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    and there you go...
    thanks, answered that ? no back to our regular program...

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The insulation and perforated screen is to deaden the intake noise. Without it the passeger gets an earfull. Quite loud, especially at 7k RPM

3. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    #428 hanknum, Aug 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #429 snj5, May 10, 2007
    Short story: I've decided to go back to a single airbox from the two plenums I have now. Why? Long story later sometime, but it has to do with power bands.

So, I'm re looking at the stock box again. After the removal of the wadding and screen, the next two issues I see are the opening at the front and a smooth path for air to flow. I am improving the engine airflow with bigger valves and carbs, so this is even more important.

My back to back dynos with the old airbox without filter and no airbox showed a 10+ rwhp difference. The dyno tech at the time suggested it was time to get a hole saw.

I've been reading up on different ideas about intake track design, and one modern school of thought is that the intake velocity becomes a factor once the air intake enclosure begins. With the removal of the wadding, although the flow is greatly improved, the flow path is not efficient and turbulent. Combining this with a larger inlet path to feed the larger carbs, I smoothed out the snout and added a larger inlet.

Assuming that flow is proportional to cross sectional area, I wanted the cross section of the oval inlet duct to match the rectangular area of where the snout runs into the box plenum to keep smooth flow and same velocity. I think for a stock 308 the way to do this would be to cut off the deep floor left from the wadding and re-weld a smooth plate giving a smooth flow track. Since I was replacing the snout as well, I opted to also round ot the sides and work them into the inlet shape intead of having a square drop off.

I will be using a K&N filter at the end of the snout which has the enlarged starboard scoop duct blowing on it.

The racing Maranellos in the ALMS series use a narrow central airbox to maintain intake air velocity with good result, so it is tempting to follow their lead to narrow the airbox to the same width as the opening to promote the continued velocity to the air horns. Not sure about that part yet.

Here are a couple of photos with the enlarged intake and flow optimized snout before I send it off to be bead blasted and crinkle black powder coated.

Hope this is entertaining for a few and a natural progression for this thread.

OBTW, My dual plenum airboxes are for sale if anyone's interested in a racing or high rpm optimized system.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #430 Artvonne, May 10, 2007
  6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    That might be "The Giant Suckin' Sound" that Ross Perot warned us about.

7. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    Russ,

I don't think air velocity to the plenum /air box is the issue here. You just want an adaquate air supply into the air box plenum. The pulsed air column in the inlet tracts, beginning at the end of the air horn, is where velocity and pressure pulses begin to make a difference. The inlet tracts see the plenum as an air source or resevoir. As long as air is at or near atmospheric pressure in the plenum/air box, you should be good to go. To the extent that opening up the feed nozzle fullfills this requrirement, then your mods seem appropriate.

Bill

8. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I guess at $3 a gallon it would suck pretty good. I like your airbox Russ. Show us more pics of what your doing.

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Thanks for the post!
    I've certainly read a lot of opinions about induction design, and the rear wheel dynos were best with an open airbox lid. The driving force as you say is to get max [clean, cool] air to the velocity stack bellmouth. It seems once the induction system becomes enclosed, it's those other factors at hand I'm looking at as well.
    The volume of the plenum seems to be important balancing capacitance and filling qualities, with one guideline I had read being the plenum volume should be 1.5x the swept volume. Then there is the value of an airbox Helmholtz resonator, with the Alfa Montreal being a good example. On dynos, the Montreal makes more hp with the airbox on than off!
    Filtration resistance/flow also comes into play here as well, as it's written that filter elements flow better with a more steady vacuum source over a pulsitile source - i.e. summed vacuum sources (cylinders) make for a steady vacuum pressure and better flow across a filter.
    Certainly beat to death on this board is inlet air temperature. The constant struggle of the value of separate carb filter boxes vs a cold air ducting system has been bantered here.
    As mentioned in the velocity stack thread, Webers are sensitive to the free air space above the bellmouth, requiring at least 3/4".
    On a practical level, weather suitability has shown itself to be an issue in the past. I found the old system funnels a lot of precipitation into the airbox.

These are the things I'm learning to balance in the design.
    Many thanks
    rt

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Russ,
    How much space is available above the airbox with the engine cover closed? I'm thinking that it would be great to make an airbox cover for the stock airbox that is higher, allowing more space above the trumpets for airflow. Perhaps it could even be designed to accomodate a taller air filter to give more surface area.

I still love the sound of the 308 with all the sound deadening stuff removed from the airbox. It sounds SO much better, and it definitely makes a difference in the throttle response.

Birdman

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    On a Mondial Russ might have more room but on a GTS/B ZERO

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    There is also pretty much zero room in the Mondial. And, I agree with you about the filtration set up, which is why Kermit developed the LRHF short stacks, and we are now moving toward the adoption of a semi-ducted mongo sized cone filter.
    According to Mike Pierce and other 'conventional wisdom' sources, there needs to be a minimum of 3/4" above the bellmouth. The stock mushrooms are 1.5" tall and the height inside the airbox is about 2 7/8". I've also read the distance above the bellmouth should be at least the throat diameter - in our case 40mm, or about 1.5" which is just a little 1/8" less than what is there. As others, I've run the individual air filters for each carb with the mushrooms, and they also just fit under the engine bonnet with the same 1 3/8" clearance above the bellmouth inside the filter. You'd guess someone is trying to tell us something. If you look at other Ferrari carb induction systems, the space above the bellmouth is usually in this .75" - 1.5" range, at least what I have seen. I have certainly seen other carb set-ups with less.
    Even the Maserati Ghibli stock airbox with DCNF carbs (See Spasso, you can't escape) looks to have only about a 1" or so clearance.
    I am now reading two older textbooks by Philip H. Smith on exhaust and intake design, and there is a mathematic suggestion that the cars might profit from a slightly higher velocity stack. I agree with Bill that having an unlimited supply of atmospheric pressure at the bellmouth is optimal, there may also be something to this tuning of the length of the airbox volumes and length based on wave theory since running open air horns is not as good an option.
    Thanks all
    rt

13. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #438 cavallo_nero, May 16, 2007
    I have been running with this configuration for about 1500 miles. Works great, the sound from the drivers side is excellent too. Inspecting the air filter on the side where the new inlet is, I can see dirt deposits on the filter just behind the new openings – verifying that I am pulling air into the airbox with these 2 new inlets. I used 90 degree pvc elbows cut and mounted into the oil cooler air duct, and welded 2 inch muffler pipe onto my airbox. And, I can still get to my oil filter.

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    You're killin' me Russ!

The low profile V-stacks would probably work on the Ghibli just as well.

15. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Since I made the modification there is a very noticable increase in gasoline odor coming from the intake scoop. Particularly after a good run and sitting in the closed garage. Putting my nose to work, the gas smell is only coming from the intake scoop.

It has led me to wonder if the gas smell many 308 owners experience while cornering is in fact due to the "carb stumble" and the resultant vapors working their way into the cabin. My fuel lines are good and the cornering smell is only noticable when the stumble occurs on my car. Yeah, I know a heavier foot eliminates the stumble but it's not always safe to drive that way on public roads ;-)

Despite the added odor, I very much enjoy the new sound!

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I didn't notice an increase in fuel smell after the mod, but I have always noticed that when you put the car away after a run, the warm engine evaporates fuel out of the carbs through the intake and stinks up the garage. It's no wonder they added a vacuum-operated flapper in 1978 to close off the intake when the car was shut off. I stuff a big white towel into the intake when I return from a drive. (I have only forgotten it and started the car with it in there once so far...) Makes a big difference in the stink level.

Birdman

Dane likes this.
  17. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    All emissions equipment is off my car. The towel is a great idea!

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Makes sense - the residual fuel fog was absorbed into the stuffing, then sucked back out by the moving air as the engine was running. If you look back at the pictures early in the thread, there is an amazing amount of fiber material in there.

19. ddiesen

ddiesen Karting

Apr 6, 2006
    Mesa Arizona
    Full Name:
    David Diesen
    #444 ddiesen, May 17, 2007
  20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    yes-- they look relly good but at least in the 308 application they are too tall for bonnet clearance based on the measurements I saw.

21. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Did you take any photos of your GT4 airbox after the mod? As I remember there are 3 or 4 small holes at the nozzle in what looks like iron, where the rubber sleeve fits. Did you cut that off? or just remove the mesh and wading?
    I know on my UK spec GT4 rain water gets into the damn stuff and its fills with rust.

22. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Nick - no pics sorry. I just removed the mesh and wading, along with some rust!

I started to use my dremel but found it very tedious. I have a small pneumatic chisel that with careful use made very quick work of cutting through the mesh - less than a minute.

23. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've heard of the legendary tuning of your 308... does yours have the "cornering stumble" ?

24. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    I don't get any smell except after a hard drive in the garage, and as that is attached the house I like it - my wife does not ;-)
    I can sit in the living room and smell Ferrari..

Dane likes this.
  25. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Did you leave the iron bit on at the entrance? Is there much performance gain?
    Cheers
    NIck