308 carb airbox restriction discovered | Page 19 | FerrariChat

308 carb airbox restriction discovered

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by snj5, Feb 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I didn't remove it as it was already gone. As it is now, it's just airbox, airfilter and accordion like ribber hose connecting to the right side duct. The most noticeable increase in performance I felt was in low to midrange rpm - more torque in addition to the SOUND. I swear if you put your ear next to the duct at idle you can hear the intake valves working. On the road at WOT it's nothing less than fantastic.

Last week I replaced the air filter. Examining the old one I could see debris caught in the filter all the way around. Before the mod, debris was isolated to just one area.

2. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Birdman you need a huge, orange, REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT banner!

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    You would think that the big while towel hanging out of the intake like a giant molotov cocktail would be sufficient, but when you are in hurry....well, I forgot once!

"Why won't this thing rev? Oh crap! I left the towel in the intake!"

You should see how far it sucked it in! :D

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I don't know about "legendary" but hey, if I'm to have a legend, why not!?

The stumble is nowhere near as bad as it once was. You know what helped a TON? Replacing the needle valves (float valves) in the carbs. I noticed that every once in a while when I turned hard, I would get hesitation and some intake backfiring. I suspected that one of the needle valves was sticking because the fuel sloshed and jammed the float up, pushing the needle valve hard and sticking it. Then the bowl would run dry on fuel and two cylinders would go way lean. Then the valve would finally unstick and the carb would work again. So just for the heck of it I pulled the carb tops, checked my float heights and replaced the float valves. Problem gone. So I would check your float heights and replace the float valves.

Birdman

Dane likes this.
  5. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Good to know, thanks much!

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #456 snj5, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As discussed in post #429, I am trying to develop a higher flow inlet airbox filter system using a single airbox. This is coming in handy, as apparantly UPS LOST my two custom dual plenum airboxes I had spent so much time on - VERY disappointing!!!

Here's a shot of the new higher flow/higher velocity single box after the black crinkle powder coat. The high flow 'ported' snout fits the largest K&N oval cone filter directly, or can be ducted to a remote filter.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That looks really good. Any idea or guesstimate as to how many more cfms that mod will add to the intake?

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Have not measured yet, but plan to try to check it on the dyno.

According theory, if the area of the smallest conduit generates the highest resistance to flow, then we are looking at about 175% more or so flow available increasing the intake size . In addition the entire flow path has been area equalized as much as possible with smoother bends (goes from wide oval snout to the wide rectangular plenum) keeping the same area and smoothing flow.

I am also working on Birdman's Idea of a bolt-on higher box cover, but we'll see where we are.

9. alan p. read

alan p. read Rookie

Jun 26, 2006
    essex. england
    Full Name:
    alan p. read
    my 308 gtb (fibreglass) originally had 3 sound insulated perferated tubes, of diameters of about 50mm. so i thought i've got 8 chokes trying to suck through 3 pipes, and therefore a big restriction. in my enthusiasm i milled the whole lot out. the "modified" air cleaner box was refitted. what a mistake the whole thing turned out to be. the noise was horrendous! then something occurred to me... sure i had 8 breathing through 3, but those 8 chokes dont suck 100% of the time...it's a 4 stroke engine, right? so given that, logic says, i'm getting 8 chokes sucking for about 25% of the engines cycle, the orginal 3 tubes should provide more than enough breathing. any way i managed to get a replacement, so all's well again. this is my expeirence on the matter. any comments gratefully recieved.
    alan.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome aboard, Alan!

Yep, if you pull all the material out as the thread says it WILL be louder!

Birdman, my scoops have the mesh screens in them so the towel would not go far! I have to check them for road debris and low flying birds......;)

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Alan, is your car a Euro dry sump or North American wet sump???

There are different specs for the two......

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    thanks for the post - i've never seen an airbox silencer quite like that one.
    Yes you are correct that they each pulse at different times - how ever as rpm go up, they asymptotically approach constant flow as the time interval between pulses gets rather small. So then you have three 50mm holes (6400 mm squared total area) feeding eight 32 mm venturis (6991 mm squared). So as born out by the dynos that I did, it does become a problem at higher rpm where the flow approaches behavior as a constant. Ferrari did pretty well match the requirements though, with the restriction becoming most evident only at higher rpms. This really only centers on total flow, and really does not address the throttle response issue which also seems to improve.
    Would really like to see some photos of the sound deadening in your airbox - it sounds really interesting.
    Welcome to Fchat!!!!
    best
    russ

13. alan p. read

alan p. read Rookie

Jun 26, 2006
    essex. england
    Full Name:
    alan p. read
    thanks for the reply. my 308 gtb is a dry sump right hand drive english car. unfortuneatly, the only replacement air box i could source was one similar to yours. the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and if you are getting better performance and better throttle responce, then the restiction must be there. but i found the noise gave me a earaick. (bearing in mind the intake is right behind my right ear!
    regards.
    alan.

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I can well imagine it would be quite loud on a trip with the intake there on your shoulder
    Something I was going to try to tone down the sound for those that wanted it toned down was applying a sheet of asbestos or some other high temp fiberous gasket material onto the wall to deaden the reverberation a bit inside the metal air box (much like a 'dyno-mat'). I think most of the annoying sounds would be dampened.

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I have to say that the noise gives me goosebumps, but not an ear ache!! However that being said, I do not like Tubis in general because they are too loud and draw unneccesary attention. I also don't want to listen to that drone all the time. I find that the airbox intake mod only makes the intake loud under accelleration. Cruising on the highway, it's not really that much louder than it was before.

Birdman

16. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #466 208 GT4, Jul 22, 2007
    Here are some pics of the airbox from my 1979 Euro 308 GT4. The air filter had 3 black circles the same size and in the same place as the openings.

Needless to say I now have a small pile of metal and glass fibres in my dustbin! The car now sounds much better, is more free revving and no longer sounds strangled at high rpm.

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Holy Moly! Is that sound suppression stock? I would guess the difference with it gome IS quite amazing!

18. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I know, it's quite surprising really. The 208 GT4 I had before was completely straight through.

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    wow thats like a restriuctor plate!!!

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #470 snj5, Aug 4, 2007
    As a part of the 'getting more air to the engine' part of the 3.2 , I've finished the final single high-flow airbox project described below.

Last details:
    new rubber spacer gaskets
    new metal inserts for the gaskets ($$$)
    polished stock airhorns
    chrome plated the optional 3/8" taller intake velocity stacks
    3/8" spacer gasket on airbox lid for clearance to use taller velocity stacks
    firing order placard.

I'll try to dyno the engine with both stock and extended air horns to see if there is a difference once everything is back together. Both sets of air horns do look good I must say.

Dane likes this.
  21. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    ZOINKS Russ!!!!!

Those look amazing.

22. Corsa308

Corsa308 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    #472 Corsa308, Aug 18, 2007
    I like many have just HAD to do this mod.
    I have recently purchased a 1976 Glass 308GTB from the UK and imported into Australia.
    After waiting months for the container to arrive and to get the car home, one of the first things I had to suss out was the airbox.
    To make my waiting even longer, slight corrosion and mould crept its way into the car during the containorisation even though it was all sealed up.
    So when i attempted to open up the airbox 3 of the 4 airbox screws were very reluctant to loosen. Even though I used spray lubricant, one of the threads sheared off.
    Anyway I was quite surprised to find that the airbox was massively restricted even moreso than your boxes from the states.
    The car had been used for track work and had a half cage and harnesses etc, but clearly wasn't breathing sufficiently.
    Even though I was surprised at this, I was quite pleased because that meant I had to tackle the mod.
    Purchased the Dremel and went for it.
    Mine had the ridiculous 3 tubes of perforated metal and wading, and yes three nice dirty marks on the airfilter to line up with the tubes like the GT4 above.
    Certainly this "Freeing up" was going to be successful.
    As you can see from the before shots the box needed a tidyup anyway.
    I stripped/sandbalsted the whole box down and then attempted my first "Crinkle Finish" paint finish.
    The last photo shows you the end result of which I am very pleased with.
    The car has a "Bell" brand of stainless exhaust from the UK of which I am not familiar. Nevertheless it sounds fabulous and is quite loud.
    Keep in mind being a RHD car, the drivers position is just inside from where the carbs are sucking, and when you wind it up she sounds great.
    Revs freely to redline and beyond!
    Being a new car I am going over everything with a fine tooth comb. I have rebuilt the carbs, and now with the open airbox will have to check the AF ratio to make sure all is AOK.
    Thanks Russ for starting all of this.

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    wow - it is always amazing to see the amount of silencing in these boxes. It certainly does appear to be an afterthought. Your airbox post clean-up looks terrific!

Your photos also hint at a second design flaw I believe these airboxes to have: they are poorly weatherproofed. Yours shows the effect of water being forced into the airbox area, and in my old set up I noticed much poorer running in very wet conditions. I am redesigning my airflow to provide a water drain.

24. Corsa308

Corsa308 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    Yep I agree, water gets in and with the poor airflow with the original, doesn't get much of a chance to evaporate the water out.
    My air duct has the typical hole in the bottom of the air duct before the bellows. Driving rain would definately overcome this though.
    Hopefully with this increased airflow any water will have a better chance of evaporating, be it that it would be ingested by the engine.

25. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Steve,
    Did you take a picture of the inside after the padding was removed?
    Cheers
    Nick