308 carb airbox restriction discovered | Page 5 | FerrariChat

308 carb airbox restriction discovered

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by snj5, Feb 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    When I originally fabricated the new snout for the box I made it with an opening that was taller than stock to maximize the flow from the side-of-body opening. I started running into clearance problems with the cooling system outflow tube below and the buttress shelf above.

I sat down and rethought what I was working with and what I was trying to achieve

1. I am working with a little 3 liter engine that is choked up with a restrictive airbox and low profile emissions cams.

2. The engine is not modified and the carburation is essentially stock so what REALLY needs to be improved?.

3.Start with the aspect of the intake tract that cannot be modified and optimize the system from that, the side-of-body opening. Appoximate the total volume of air that could potentially pass through that opening and open everything up down stream that may hamper the flow.

4. Gutting the airbox was the first step, improve flow through the snout by opening it up and reconfiguring the shape. Install a smooth bellows.

Considering the requirements of the engine and the type driving I was going to do I felt that returning to a slightly larger oval intake on the snout was sufficient. A smooth bellows was in the plan but time restraints and lack of material nixed the idea. That can be worked down the road.

Except for the red airbox the system looks stock.

Ultimately, I believe a large single inlet is the way to go if you want to maintain the basic layout of the engine bay especially if you are running a "4 liter" engine.
    . Not sure about pulling air from the wheelwell, a lot of junk flies around in there.

The side scoops do indeed work. When the temps go down in the winter I have to plug the inlet on the drivers side to get the oil up to a decent tempurature.

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Spasso,
    Still waiting patiently, stuck in the arctic North here, for your impressions of the new airbox design! WELL????

Birdman

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I just put the car back on the floor this morning before going to work. I may fire it up tomorrow morning (Wednesday)just to make sure it will but won't be able to take it out until Thursday morning at the earliest.

4. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Man, threads like this are what make F-chat worth its weight in gold!

I've been and still am all ears!

5. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Has anyone used anything other than the OEM rubber bellows to connect the airbox to the side scoop?

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I believe Kermit has according to a previous post in this thread. Used a section of inner tube?

Or maybe in this thread,
    Low Profile V-stacks

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Fired it up this morning (indoors) after sitting for almost 4 months for maintenance. When cold I am getting some popping through the carbs and some through the exhaust like it is running lean, more so than before the modifications. When it warmed up the popping went away mostly but still did it. I may have a couple of air bypass jets out of adjustment.

I brought the engine up to 4,000 RPM and held it for a while. It sounds like I am getting an intermittant high speed miss which I think may still be a fuel problem.

I revved the engine hard 4 or 5 of times and it sounds like all 8 are hitting under load, a good sign. It seems to rev willingly and quickly with just a little flat spot on tip in (no big). The intake sound is distinctive but I can't tell any real difference in volume until I get the car out and under load.

I will check spark distribution with my timing light tomorrow and pull a couple of plugs to see what kind of shape they are in. The car came with 20 new Bosch plugs so I may try to change those before shakedown on Saturday.

If it is dry out tomorrow I'll take the car out for a freeway run and see how it pulls in 4th gear.

Update tomorrow pm.

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    <<Cross posted so no one misses>>

The surest sign it is getting more air is that it may be running a little leaner than before.

Congratulations - it worked!!

The difference between the old box and open air horns was 0.5 - 1.0 A/F leaner on my old dyno runs. You're already a bit light with 125 mains if you have not upgraded. If you put 135s or 140s in with this airbox mod, I'm bettin' 10 hp or better you can feel, esp. with a K&N. Should take about 30 - 45 minutes to change the main jets. You may not feel the full effect of whatwhat you have done until the jets are changed.

It may also take a bit longer to catch when cold, as it is a bit leaner with not only the improved airflow, but with the improved flow the air will be a bit cooler as well (also way good). Be sure to wait until it comes up to temperature - your bypass jets may be just fine - you're just getting more air. And remember all of this will be a bit magnified at speed with increased airflow.

Again - congrats.
    Should be fun.
    best
    rt

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    <Cross Posted>

Well, I changed from 125's to 135's when I did the box mod and I am running a stock style Baldwin filter element. The true test will be on the road then........................

No changes to idle jets, no changes to air bypass jets (basically).

Dyno a week from Saturday, Woo Hoo.............

10. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Make sure you get a fan blowing some air on/into that side intake!

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Maybe we can hang a compressed air line in there.

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I just returned from an hour long drive. Starting with freeway and then some twisty back roads.

The induction noise is much louder, the loudest and best sound between 5 and 6 thousand RPM. The engine seems to rev more freely but I cannot feel a "seat-of -the-pants" increase in power. I seems that I have lost a little low end power but not enough to compromise the over all performance.

Judging from the color of the exhaust tips and the more pronounced intake popping when cold I am guessing that I am still running lean, even after changing from 125 Mains to 135's.

I may try to stick some 140's in after I pull a few plugs and see how they read. If the plugs are indicating a lean out condition then I think the 140's would do the trick.

I am out of time today but tomorrow morning (Friday) I will pull some plugs see what they say.

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    DJ

Sounds a bit similar to my experience, but I was already rich enough to cover the increased flow. Although there is probably an expectation bias, I thought subjectively that in the de-muffled airbox the stock air horns had a better throttle response in the lower rpm ranges (described by you as loss of low end) and with the small velocity stacks it felt a bit more perky on top (your 'revs more freely). I may be wrong, but to me the issue is consistant with air velocity, the stock horns giving a bit more velocity and better response and the shorties less resistance and more flow up high. I'm also wondering with the theoretical increased air availability if I could again get away with 36mm chokes and keep the throttle response.

As someone said before , the more you have to change your jetting, the bigger airflow difference you made...

As far as sound our engines may be a little different on the intake sound due to mine being a 4v with conservative cams and a bit longer intake maniold. Mine is still fairly quiet at idle and cruise (butterflies closed or low angle - duh) but it does go 'wooom' when you open it up. As I said before as well, needs a little bit more attention on cold startup and warming.

While our applications are a bit different, I'm looking forward to your dyno # and A/F changes.
    Brilliant work.
    best
    rt

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    At cruise the induction noise is the same as stock. I hear more going on inside the box when I work the throttle, transition noises, pulsating at lower RPM's etc............

Being a '78 my cams are also "conservative", to a fault. Your typical emissions profile.

Throttle sensitivity at all ranges seemed the same but didn't pull quite as hard from the bottom.

I am in the process of securing some 140 mains, hopefully in the next few days so I can change the mains if required.

I will take pictures of the exhaust tips and spark plugs when I pull them out tomorrow.

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #115 Spasso, Mar 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These are the dyno numbers taken from a 79 308 GTB with a STOCK airbox and the Low Profile High Flow velocity stacks. It appears that they are good for at least 5 out of the 10 to 12 HP gains according to subsequent dyno numbers with the modified box and "short" stacks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Spass,
    Thanks much for posting the dynos - had not seen those.

A year or two ago, when I was realizing that the airbox was a restriction (but not figuring out the muffling obstruction) I did a back to back dyno comparing the airbox top off vs a stock box closed with NO air filter. while not exactly comparable, it's interesting that I also got a 5 - 6 hp difference.

17. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Hi Russ
    Which was better?
    John

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #118 Spasso, Mar 4, 2005
    Here are the pictures of the exhaust tips and spark plugs from my drive yesterday. It's obvious by the condition of the plugs that the car has been running very lean for quite some time. Even with the jump in jet sizes it is still running really lean.
    The plugs in the car are currently NGK BP6ES. Two boxes of brand new plugs came with the car when I bought it. They are Bosch W7DTC. Enclosed are pictures of those with the multi-tip.

I think I need to put some 140 main jets in and change the plugs. I would like to use the Bosch (I have 20).

Any suggestions for gap?

19. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    Dana,
    It does appear to be a bit lean yet to me. I prefer to be able to look down into the inner part of the insulator for a truer reading though. The base of the plug does not show any dark however, which is a good indication that the lighter color will be seen all the way down the center.
    Interesting, in that it would appear that the more open air filter snout is getting more air flow the stock gutted unit, IMO.
    FWIW: I'd say that the 140's would not hurt your application a bit. Others, like Russ may be able to call this one better, but in my experience, an air correction jeet change will not give you the mixture you need.
    Kermit

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #120 Spasso, Mar 4, 2005
  21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Wow - it does look a bit lean. Interesting. You probably are running .55 idles and 200 air correctors for your year with F36 emulsions. Would definitely agree with the 140s, and perhaps even 190 a/c for some high end richness. JMHO. And as much as I shudder, perhaps .57 idles. I may be wrong, but don't think the engine has really begun to take advantage of the increased flow yet.

Would go with the stock plug gap unless you have installed an MSD or high energy coil, then would open a bit per their recommendation.

John - the open trumpets out flowed the stock unfiltered box - but remember this was with the bonnet open on a non-moving dyno.

Good luck, and following with interest.
    best
    rt

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I do indeed have F36 emulsion tubes. Don't know what my idles are but a pretty safe bet they are stock 55's?

I cleaned up the old plugs, regapped to .032" and reinstalled them. I will be going on a 100 mile+ drive tomorrow to do some road "research". I'll pull them again and see what they look like.

Those Bosch plugs have a triple tip on them and I am curious if the gap requirements are different than a standard plug.

What is the stock gap on a standard plug? I am at work right now and can't check.

Thanks,
    DJ

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    According to the 78 308 user manual, the plugs specified are:
    Champion N7Y
    NGK BP 8 ES
    Bosch W5 DC

Gap .024 - .027

Not sure about the high tech Bosch plugs.

I took those carb specs off some charts I have, so it's pretty good unless Luigi ran out of the right part that day.
    best
    rt

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    So BP6 ES is hotter or colder than the BP8 ES?

I couldn't even find a listing for the Bosch W7DTC plug or an application for them in a recent Bosch book. The highest it went was W6DC. WTH?

I measured the factory gap on the Bosch plugs and they range from .026" to .028." They can't be cheap and judging from the condition of the plugs I have in there now it would be nice to replace them with some new ones before dyno day.

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    BP6ES is hotter than a BP8ES or BP7ES (smaller number is hotter). You should be using a 6 (most carb 308's are running NGK 6's), and depending on whether you get any fouling...possibly even a 5. But 6 would be a good starting point. With your ignition system (same as what I had on my 78) I would open up the spark gap to around .034. When I ran .026 I ended up with a high rpm miss. Opening up the plug gap smoothed it right out.

Regards,
    Dave