308 carb rebuild complete - by Pierce Manifolds | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 carb rebuild complete - by Pierce Manifolds

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #26 Peter, Jan 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since you mentioned you have three, if and when I can locate one, certainly...

The reason I asked in the first place is maybe it can cure my: "the-car-dies-when-pointed-uphill" syndrome. Less fuel in the bowl, less chance of flooding (which I suspect is the culprit - flooding. Fuel pours out of the leading float bowl, overflowing the emulsion wells)?

Just to be sure if its the same, this is what your concave float looks like?:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Let me re-assure the others who are also reading this thread:

Yes, my floats are set exactly spot-on to the requirements of the Ferrari workshop manual. So highly unlikely I'm getting this flooding problem pointing uphill due to what many may think my floats are set too high if reading my previous post.

3. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    As near as I can tell from the photo, you're showing what looks like my single concave float.

Flooding uphill? Did you install the needle valve? <jk>

Interesting about the uphill bit. I have to drive up a *VERY* steep hill for about 1/2 mile to get to my house. It's at least a 15% grade (estimating based upon each house's foundation is as high as the roof of the house next to it). The car will refuse to run at below 2500rpm, but will easily pull 3K minimum in any of the gears. I don't know if this is some sort of flooding situation, or simply a lack of low end torque - most probable. (If I get behind some granny going 15mph, the car will stall in 1st. I have to back down to a side street and get another run at it!)

In any event, I'll trade my 3 if you want. No hurry, just whenever.

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Driving is not the problem, its when I'm stopped at a light, that it'll start to run rough, then cough and spit and then die. Only one occasion when I was driving to Dave Handa's house, there was an incredibly steep hill I drove up, pinned it in 1st all the way up (7000-7500RPM) because if I drove slower, I knew it would probably die. Must've scared the s--- out of the people living along that road... :)

Thanks for the offer. I'll be working on the car this winter (I'm hoping at least), so I can pop the carb tops off and do the switcher-oo with you.

You said single concave float. What, it's only concave on one side? Mine had a slight concave on both sides.

5. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

There you go again Peter, raising hell in Dave Handa's neighborhood. I thought by now you would have outgrown such siliness in your Ferrari.

j/k

Sometimes, I wish that I could have driven one of these things when brand new. It's always possible some of these driving quirks were just part of the carb 308 experience back then and were negligible enough to not get published in reviewers, etc.

In your particular case, though, I think there's an issue but I haven't an idea what it could be... Niavely I would speculate that a fuel tank connection location (sensitive to hills) coupled with a weak fuel pump could be the problem.

Question: At the stoplight, when your car dies, if you kept it at 7000k like you did when you terrorized Dave's neighborhood, would it spit/sputter/die then?

I could further speculate that with a weak fuel pump due to weak in-car voltage (unlikely, but low voltage WILL affect the fuel pump--to low and it won't pump!) could reduce its effectiveness, made worse by the incline, and revving the car whips your alternator in shape and gets it pumping out what it needs to voltage wise to bring the pump up to speed. This is pure speculation.

Have you checked your float levels? j/k Floats binding at inclines? I would sit on the back of the car at an incline with the carb covers off to get a better idea of what's going on.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I have a question regarding the carb body color. Mine were gold, perhaps anodized gold. I assumed that was the way they were new. Im not picking nits here, just wondering what is "correct" for the resto nut as apposed to just a straight forward rebuild. Maybe the carb cleaning chemical removed the gold color?

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Newman: Mine were aluminum in color - maybe a bit darker than native aluminum.

Peter: By 'single concave' float, I meant I have just one. It's concave on both side. Ain't the English language grand?

At the risk of thread hi-jacking, I was contemplating your 'hill stalling' problem. I surmise that you're assuming that excess gas is coming out the little hole visible near the A/C jets while on a hill. I'm wondering if it might be seeping between the carb top and the carb body - as in gasket not sealing. That would certainly cause problems. I think this is a real possibility, as the gasket mating surfaces are HORRIBLE. Of those people who have checked, I've never heard of *anyone* that had a choke cover that fit even remotely well - that's why the front of the carbs always look cruddy. OK, choke cover isn't your problem, but I found significant high spots on my carb bodies where they mate to the top cover. The cover (w/o gasket) would rock back and forth by perhaps .050" - maybe more. I'm sure that the gasket wouldn't make up for this kind of unevenness. Anyway, gas seeping under the cover could get into all kinds of goofy places - all of which would channel it down the carb throat.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Mike and Hans,

That's the thing with these things, multiple issues could be at play with my car.

I've got a new fuel pump in there now, but haven't been faced with the situation with tackling steep hills. Will report if and when that happens.

As for gaskets and sloppy fit, it could very well be that (but gaskets are new. But new gaskets on poor surfaces wouldn't do squat for sealing, so maybe that's a cause...).

Mike, when stopped on a hill, if I feel its going to die, I rev the hell out of it and hold it there, it doesn't die then... Not good for the clutch when taking off, but sounds great... Yes, I haven't grown-up yet! :-D

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    You bet...

10. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Hello Mike
    looking at the before pics of the carb, your lead casting plugs were leaking a lot. i would be interested in knowing if that goes away now. mine do not leak anymore since i did my last rebuild as i reamed out the lead plugs and replaced with seal-all. i am all for teh concave float design as it permits more fuel in the bowl, so less chance of cornering effects.
    john

11. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    OK, Mike from Pierce just called me back about the carbs, I've got some answers.

Regarding the lead plugs, Mike said that they all get "Restaked" with a special Weber staking tool, as evidenced by the little divot in the end of each plug. This causes the plug to expand and reseal against its hole and the little "step" that it sits on. He didn't recommend removing them (they also have a special corkscrew tool for this) unless absolutely necessary, since the corkscrew can damage the casting... He was confident in restaking. This is the way they do all of 'em. Also mentioned there's plugs on the inside that you can't see which they did as well.

Also, Bill you asked about refurbishing or reforming the seats. Pierce also has the tool to do this, but Mike says again they don't do this unless absolutely necessary, as it can affect the calibration and function of the jets (and other calibrated parts). Mine didn't have this done.

Mike also said that they "backflow" through the entire system to check for leaks.

Also mentioned that the way to seat your main jets, for examply, is to barely put them in the emulsion tube, and then turn down so the jet pushes itself in the emulsion tube as a result of the whole assembly being pushed against the formed, tapered, conical face that the main jet touches.

--Mike

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    other than the retune for the altitude change here seems like you have done all the carb work for me !!!! great thread!!!!! cant wait to get the car..... michael