308 carb sync attempt #1 and questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 carb sync attempt #1 and questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, May 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Actually, the next size is 57. That's what I'm using.

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hmmm. I didn't see those in the catalogs I was browsing. Seems like a very small increment from 55 to 57. I was wondering if the change to 60 from 55 was going to do anything and toyed with trying 65's. Glad I didn't.

Birdman

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Birdman,

i have the book "Ferrari Guide To Performance" by Allan S. Bishop and it goes into detail about carbs. You want to borrow it?

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Sure man, thanks! I'll borrow it next time we meet up for that drive we're talking about.

Thanks

Birdman

5. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I was having some slight popping at 70mph steady cruise, especially when it was cold outside. Very slight, very intermittent. I knew just a very small amount of extra fuel was needed. It worked. The beneficial side effect was that I could now lean out the mixture screws to the bare minimum consistent with smooth running. Prolonged idling, as in stop-n-go city driving was seriously carboning up the engine. HUGE cloud of black smoke when I finally stood on the loud pedal. With the slightly bigger jets and leaner mix screws, I'm burning very clean.

6. thevirginiadude

thevirginiadude Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Fairfax County, VA
    Great thread...............I spent 4 hours balancing the carbs last weekend. But still had the creeping idle problem even when balanced.

But its got a odd missfire and think the problem I am looking at now is a ignition and not a carberation issue. I follwed a different method than either of you guys.

I adjusted the throttle cable to a high idle about 1,500. I balanced the two left side carbs with the linkage. then balanced the right side carbs to the left.

then I adjusted it down to just under 1,000 rpm and set the idle stops so that the carbs balanced front to rear.

I didn't need to balance the left to right throats as they measured effectively the same with the tool I used. and I was about 4.25 turns out with idle mixture. THats where it was when I overhauled them.

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    That's actually how I approached it as well. Turned out my front bank was close already so I balanced the front left and rear left with the linkage, then the rear pair with their linkage and didn't need to mess with the linkage between the front pair. I don't think it matters what order you adjust linkages as long as they all end up the same.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what idle jets you have? Any aftermarket stuff? Quite often popping is a lean burning issue. (I'm no expert but I have read that in quite a few places including the Ferrari shop manual and here on FChat).

I can't wait to try the new idle jets and see what happens. Oooh, so much fun playing with carbs!

Birdman

8. thevirginiadude

thevirginiadude Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Fairfax County, VA
    No aftermarket stuff on this particular car. There is a pretty obvious ignition problem in my case. popping through the carbs is a very occaisional thing and irregular. However after havig run it for a while and immediatly upon shutdown you sometimes get a loud bang out of the exhaust. I assume that is from unburned gas ( there are Two test pipes on the car in leu of cats.) Plus you can hear an irregular beat to the exhaust , not a dead miss, its just a rough sound. I won't be able to tell you that the idle jets are untill I am with the car which may be a few days.

9. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    BTW, an easy way to temporarily achieve a fast idle is to jam a folded matchbook cover into the thermostatically (boy, that's a long word) controlled cold fast idle mechanism. Put it right where the linkage goody rides on the thermostat cam. This pulls on the linkage evenly, just like if you push on the throttle pedal.

10. thevirginiadude

thevirginiadude Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Fairfax County, VA

true...........would have saved burning my wrist on the hot valve cover too.

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Well...after a few hours in the garage, I have a DEFINITE improvement and I smell like hydrocarbons! Thanks for the help everyone! Here's the results....

1. I put in the .60 idle jets
    2. I re-checked the sync at 1500 RPM (made a minor tweak from where I set it last week)
    3. I set the idle mixtures as best I could by the "idle speed" method (they ended up about 4 turns out).
    4. I set the idle speed with the two throttle stops.

The results? Man, it's like a different car.

1. I have almost no spitting through the carbs (one throat is still making the occasional spit and I'm thinking it might be a tad gummed, thus running lean. I'm hoping a couple tankfulls of techron will improve that). If not I may have to rebuild that one.
    2. It has completely stopped backfiring, even at shutdown. (This is likely partially related to #5 below).
    3. Less hesitation and better acceleration in low RPMs.
    4. It always ran fine at high RPMs and that is the same.
    5. It idles smoothly at 900 RPM. And it doesn't backfire or cough or do anything otherwise embarassing. It just idles.
    6. I didn't expect this, but it starts better.

It is still hesitating a bit between 2K-3K, especially around right hand corners. I don't think this is fuel starvation because it doesn't hesitate around corners at higher RPMs. Thoughts? This situation is much improved from how it was though. It's a little bit of hesitation, not a lot of hesitation.

It seems to run better with the airbox installed. I tweaked the carbs and took it for a few test runs, with more tweaking in between, and when it was finally as good as I thought it was going to get, I put the airbox back on and it seemed to run even better.

I can't thank everyone enough for this help. It seems that the majority of my problems were related to two major issues:

1. Lean running conditions in the progression hole phase of operation.
    2. Carbs not in sync, especially evident at small throttle openings.

I feel pretty confident now that I could tweak another 308's carbs in a lot less time. By the time I need to do it again, I will have forgotten everything I learned. Maybe I should do a carb synch 101 post if not for anyone else, at least for myself in the future.

BTW, I ordered my synchrometer and my jets from Weber Carbs Direct (http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/) and I highly recommend them. Good prices and BLAZING fast shipping. Everything was in stock. They were even helpful on the phone, though they prefer that you order on-line.

Birdman

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Float adjustment. My mechanic advised me that at lower RPM's in turns they will sometimes starve and that a solution which helped was to adjust the floats.

Alternatively, he suggested, just stay in the gas, higher RPM's and full throttle will also help to alleviate it. Although, I have not tried solution #2 yet.

13. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    thanks birdman for the info, I ordered 60's today as well as carb kits, just in case.
    Maybe I missed it but what are you running for exhaust?
    When I switched to the flowmaster I got a lot of backfiring and pipping, especially on overrun. This almost disappeared with 140 mains and 200 ac's.

put the pedal down.
    chris

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Chris,
    I have an Ansa exhaust that the previous owner installed and did not change jetting for--and I think that was the source of the problems. Everything I read says that backfiring/spitting is usually due to lean conditions. What I learned on this thread is that the idle jets play much more of a role in everyday driving than just idling! The .60's helped my car a lot. I'm wondering now if I ought to go to 140 mains, since it has 135's in it. But it runs great at high RPMs so I think I'll follow the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy.

Birdman

15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    [QUOTE=Birdman,

Will the old ANSA muffler i gave to you work? Also, stop by and pick up that book. It should give you some GREAT info as there is A LOT about carbs in it!!!!!!!!!

16. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Hello Friends. I have read this whole thread (well, I skimmed some of it) and
    although I have learned a lot - especially about the best balancing technique at
    idle - I have another issue with my Euro-spec, single distributor, '79 308GTB
    and I ask your help. Here are the observations. I would appreciate your
    guesses as to the problem(s).

+ First of all, the car is bone stock. No modifications to the carbs or ignition at all.
    + No vacuum or fuel leaks found.
    + Car sat with old gas in it for a year, I added 3/4 tank of fresh 93 octane fuel. No
    additives in the fuel except for the 15% alcohol used here in Houston.
    + Just finished a 'minor service', including belts.

+ The car starts and idles beautifully at about 1100 rpm and does not 'hunt'.
    + With no choke, the idle mixture 'smells' just a tiny bit rich.
    + When cold, it performs okay. I stay under about 3000 rpm until I see some oil heat.
    + When properly warmed up, the idle is still perfect, performance is as described below.

+ When accelerating mildly aggressively, away from standstill, there are no issues.
    + Upon gently opening the throttle from cruise, say at 2500-3000 rpm, there is a lag or
    stumble.
    + Upon accelerating gently above 4500 rpm there is an intermittent and minor miss;
    just enough to hear and feel
    + When given WOT, or close to it, the car runs fantastic without a single issue.

+ Upon overrun, especially after a little harder exercise, the engine sometimes 'spits',
    'coughs' or produces what sounds like a carburettor backfire. Happens only once
    on each overrun from higher rpm and happens intermittently.

Given all this info, please share any thoughts you have as to remedies to these issues.
    Thank you.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Newman posted in Boxer thread yesterday that fuel mixtures today require a change to the emulsion tube??

I have no idea what that means maybe send him a PM to clarify.......it was to address a mid range stumble much as you are describing...

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    When was the last time you lubricated your distributor advance mechanism???

19. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Ahemmm, uhhhh... never.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, you'll note in your Service Interval Charts that you should give it some love, every now and then!!

....exactly how I have no idea, I'll ask Ferda!

21. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Thanks. I had to be honest. The car has been unloved lately as my silly, stinking job has eaten too much time. I just finished a 'minor service' on the car, except for the fluids and filters, which I will do this weekend. The rest of the required maintenance will follow. I have lubed the advance mechanism on my other (L4 and V12) British cars. Its just a drop of thin machine oil on the pivot points.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wouldn't hurt..and give you a chance to survey and clean the cap and rotor...

23. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Indeed.

24. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    Your idle speed should be 900-950 rpms. Did you verify the carbs are n sync'd not only at idle position but also when you hold the throttle open at about 2000rpms? There could still be a little adjustment needed in the linkages. The ignition timing should be set to 6 degrees at idle and 13 degrees at full advance, it's always good to check it with a timing light while reving the engine out.