308 Clutch slipping | FerrariChat

308 Clutch slipping

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 4returbo, Nov 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4returbo

4returbo Karting

Oct 14, 2003
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Rick Oliver
    Good news my ferrari is back to form after the small engine fire. However, the clutch is sliping in forth and fith gear. This started back after I replaced the smaller turbo with a larger one. Maybe some extra torque started the warn out clutch to slip.
    Is clutch replacement a DIY project? I search for something in archives but came up nill. I am really looking for step by step info.

2. dpospres

dpospres Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
  3. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes replacing a clutch is not a difficult job to do yourself, I did my 328 earlier this year, and it was easier than some '' ordinary '' cars I have done. You will need to get hold of the ring nut tool mentioned in the above link. I didn't remove the suspension arms as mentioned in the procedure above, I doubt if a 308 is much different. You can buy the kit on Ebay, should cost about $400. Good luck !!

4. 4returbo

4returbo Karting

Oct 14, 2003
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Rick Oliver
    What's included in the kit... Everything? i.e. the afore mentioned ring nut tool?

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    How much boost are you running?

I ask because the stock clutch may be worn, or may just not be adiquate for the power you have.

6. 4returbo

4returbo Karting

Oct 14, 2003
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Rick Oliver
    I run about 7 psi. It didn't slip before the larger turbo was in stalled. I wanted to get the car dyno test but not with the slippage I am getting. Should I invest in a kevlar clutch from Norwood??

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    At 7 psi on an otherwise stock '80, I think you should be right around 275-285hp. I don't think a stock clutch should have any problem with that...it sounds like it's just time for a new clutch. However, if you are thinking of pushing the boost up now that you have a bigger turbo, it would be a good time to think about a kevlar clutch.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The ring nut tool is $100 or there about and not included in the kit. You can buy the tool at Baum Tools, or make one yourself with a bench grinder and a bit 1/2 socket from Sears.

One of us here may even lend it to you.

9. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    I am due for a new clutch on my 78 308 and was wondering which manufacturer is best .. AP or Borg & Beck or???

Thanks,
    Helmut

10. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    (1) (NOT INCLUDED WITH KIT) There are three (3) little o-rings that you will need / want to replace. These o-rings are the bottom right of the bell housing. Once you get the bell housing off, you'll see what parts I'm talking about. I called FoW-Parts and asked for "...the three small o-rings on the 308 bell housing..." They knew what I needed.

(2) (NOT INCLUDED WITH KIT) Change your rear main seal while you are in there.

(3) (SOMETIMES INCLUDED WITH KIT) Make sure your kit comes with the pilot bearing. You should be able to get a loaner pilot bearing puller from your local Advance Auto parts store.

I did mine myself. Not a big deal.

11. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
  12. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
  13. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    I certainly love the step by step tutorials, Thanks!

So far I am still not sure if there are preffered manufacturers for those clutch kits by Ferraristis on this board?

Thanks,
    helmut

14. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
  15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    If i may suggest, if you are doing a new clutch you might want to change the Rear Main Seal.

16. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I echoed your statement above. Only takes ~ 30 minutes to get the old out, clean the area, and get a new seal in.

17. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks. When my Rear Main Seal blew out i knew it would be the same time pretty much as doing a new clutch since they are in the same basic area. Good thing as the clutch had about 15% life to it so, yup, we did a clutch job. If it was JUST the rear main, the cost of labor would have been a hard pill to swallow, but with getting a new clutch at the same time it made things easier to swallow.