308 Damper Questions | FerrariChat

308 Damper Questions

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jasonious, Jan 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Hi Folks

I am going to be re-doing the Konis and springs on my 79 GTB. Couple of quick questions:

The parts books speak of a "shock absorber dust cover" part 3 and part 2 below:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

My car does not have these. They fit under the spring? Do they just crumble and fall to pieces over time? Are they considered a good idea?

Koni has the shocks as part 82-1982SP6 in the front and 82-1983SP6 for the rear. Ferrari lists the front as 110786 for the front and 110787 for the rear. Are these the same shocks with the same specifications? I know in the Lotus world, the Bilsiten and Ohlins with Lotus part numbers are configured differently than the units sold by the respective manufacturers.

Finally, I see I have to purchase the shock mounting bush separately. Thats a first! Do these shocks cross reference to any other car? You'd think they could be cool and supply the bushing :)

Thanks for the help. This site is a wealth of information and extraordinarily helpful for a DIY guy.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The boot is a good idea and should be used. Never seen one crumble and fall out. Sounds more like someone put in two lower rubber pieces.

The Koni part and the Ferrari part are the same.

Do not believe they cross to any non Ferrari. The bushings are not Koni parts so they are not supplied with the shock.

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Presumably your shocks are exhibiting poor performance.

I am currently refreshing the suspension components on my 1983 GTS. My Konis seemed fine but I sent one to Performance Springs Inc (located at Sonoma Racetrack) for a shock dynamometer test just to confirm. PSI is a factory authorized Koni rebuild center. The shock “passed with flying colors” and performed “like new”. They said Konis are good for about 100k miles and don’t degrade just with the passage of time.

FWIW, Tire Rack stocks new Koni shocks for our cars. They are inexpensive.

Yeah, you’d think. Bushings are cheap though; about $20 each (Ricambi, Superformance, etc.).

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    … the place in Sonoma is called "Performance Shock Inc." not "Performance Springs Inc."

2NA likes this.
  5. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Thanks Riffledriver and BrianA. I've thought of sending mine out for a rebuild, but the cost seems to be on par with new ones.

Two more questions....What are folks doing in terms of Koni adjustment settings? I've had hydraulic Koni's on to cars and my understanding was the "adjustment" as it were was to compensate more for wear than anything else. Start out on soft or 1/2 a turn out and gradually firm them up over the course of a long life. What are folks with 308's doing in terms of adjustemnts with all other things stock (wheels, springs, etc...)?

Also, is there a specific spring compressor brand recommended? I have an industrial strength jobbie, but it appears to be much too large and bulky to deal with a coil over. I can consult the all knowing google, just curious if there was a favord brand/style here.

Thanks!

6. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I sourced this one a few years back. Works extremely well and super safe. Fits the OEM spring perfectly. Very heavy duty. Do not remember the mfg. It was a custom suspension shop.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Might be useful to post that old table here, lifted from this very forume eight years ago: spring rates are not the same depending on the version of the car (GTB vs GTS) and on the market (Euro / US / Japan, etc...)....
    FWIW....
    Rgds

Attached Files:

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Rebuilding is about the same price. It is worth it if not available or you want a custom set up. Koni and Ferrari both told us to take them out of the box and install them

Konis do deteriorate with time but it is not from use, it is from sitting. The oil separates and a wax like substance falls to the bottom and clogs the passages in the valves. It even has a name, "Koni knock" from the sound it makes.

9. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Thanks again Riffledriver. If only everything in life was a simple as taking it out of the box and installing it :)

Does anyone have any experience with the Bilstein kits offered for sale in Europe? I see there are 2 sets available. Expensive and very expensive. The very expensive is based on the PSS10 B16 shock and is 2 way adjustable. I don't know what the less expensive Bilstien shock model is, but I believe it is only allows adjustemnt of spring pre-load.

10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Search on Fchat for the Gaz shocks from here in the UK. I may get a set— perhaps time for a group buy?

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG