308 Dash top heat vent flaps???? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

308 Dash top heat vent flaps????

Discussion in '308/328' started by chairpilot, Sep 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    (Que the Jaws theme....)

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I usually que up the theme from The Pink Panther called the inspector's theme. That's the one were there is no dialog and he is very busy storming a castle or sneaking around and destroying the enviroment around him. Can any one relate to this besides me?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIZtUUUofkI[/ame]

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    After looking at several flaps like that in 308s and boxers I can't say for sure that the flap actually covers the entire duct when new. If its not rounded on the corners (and its not) it wouldn't fit the space and cover the hole entirely anyway. I also can't see how it would shrink that much in only one direction as it still has most of its width. During the 308 restoration I duplicated these but not to cover the heat duct entirely, I suspect it helped to direct the heat just out the two end vents separating it from the middle duct. Why? very little benefit if any but they must have had something in mind. The A/C in Bretts car functions well and the flaps are 3/4 over the hole, they flip up with the on.

4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

What material did you use on the flaps?

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    And that's what I was thinking as well..

Lester

6. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I was thinking that a plug in the heater sides, just as a temporary measure, could validate the theory.

Lester

7. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    As demonstrated earlier, the design is such that when it flips up it blocks airflow to the center vent BUT because of the dash height it is not large enough to cover the heat duct when down. In other words, when the heat is on and in a perfect world, no hot air would enter the center vent.

As to the design, a hinged flap of thin plastic might work just fine or perhaps a hinged bit of thin aluminum although that might make some rattling noises after a while..

Lester

8. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    Does anyone know what the correct material is for this repair/replacement?

Sent from my iPhone
    (which means I am probably sitting by the car, confused.)

9. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    Does anyone know what the correct material/color/what the final product is supposed to look like to have a correct repair/replacement?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    The ones I have off are some type of urethane rubber. You could easily make a mold and pour new silicone ones to look exactly the same. They are semi clear, orangish in color now but I bet that's a color shift due to age.

They weren't leather. I think the UV light over time just breaks them down.

11. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Did you have any luck with this Dr. K?

12. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    Sure didnt.
    My early/Euro GT4's AC uses the same 'clam shell' blower as the heater. I'm not sure if this is consistent for every GT4.

The blower was DEF original.
    Tried to source a new/stronger motor for the OEM blower: no luck.
    Tried to find another blower which produces more air: nothing fit.
    Bought a new OEM blower from SPAL: the increase in air production is significant. Idk if its cause its not 40 years old or it's nee(er) tech and SPAL improved the blower.

I'm happy with the new blower.
    I don't have the AC up (yet) but I know it will be an improvement (not that I have a point of reference since the AC hasn't been in the car for a while.)

The side-by-side blower, with two squirrel cages, can get an upgrade in the motor. I've seen it documented here as well as discussed it with Steve Carr, who was trying to source a new/stronger motor for my particular blower.

Idk what a 328 needs.
    But, you should probably have a discussion with Steve (not a member here) as he straightened out a few people on FChat.

PM me for his contact.

Sent from my iPhone

13. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    #63 Dr Kananga, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok.. Got the dash off.
    That was a nightmare.

I'm finally attacking this.

Need some input:

1) has anyone replaced these flaps?
    2) should they completely cover the heater side or only be 'tall enough' to cover the opening to the center/AC duct?
    3) I have a clear vinyl but I fear its too thick (40 gauge thickness): if you did this, what thickness did you use?

My initial thoughts are:
    Since I am in SoCal and AC I'm more important than heat, I believe, for me, I should cover the significantly heat ducts with the material to avoid cold air "escaping" down the heater sides.
    I should use a thin enough material where I know the hear will blow it 'out of the way' when I do kick on the heat.

Although, someone might have done this and seen ZERO difference in AC performance.

The picture below is the size of the vinyl IF I were to size it to ONLY cover the space between the heat and cold ducts: I don't care about heat escaping to the cold side... or do I?

This might be enough material to cover both ends... I don't know.

Any input would be appreciated...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    #64 Dr Kananga, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There was, obviously, some kind of gasket around the center vents so I replaced them.

I am going to put everything back together with the 40mil vinyl and see what happens.

Now that I know how to take the dash off (worked out all the added 'fasteners'), I can easily swap it out.

Keep you posted.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I have a GTB so they are slightly different design but I ordered several samples of rubber sheet. I eventually decided on a black nitrile rubber sheet from Zoro Tools which seemed to match the pliability of the small remaining soft part of the old flaps the best. I went slightly thinner than I measured the original.

I ended up using Oil Resist. Buna-N/NEO Rubber Sheet, 1/32"THK, 12"W, 12"L, Non-Adhesive,

Black instead of clear.

GTB write-up if it's of any interest:

http://26359.tumblr.com/post/68493379290/crusty-old-flaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Wow, thanks for your work on this. Mine are the exact same condition as your 'before' shows. I actually thought they were leather, which isn't too far fetched with a Ferrari. Glad you got this job done.

17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I think the problem is if the flaps are full length to cover the heat opening completely they can't stand up completely due to the height restriction of the vent assembly. Of course not having them completely cover the heat outlets allows for AC back flow into the heat duct.

I suppose the correct answer should be to add or mold in vertical separators that completely isolate the AC air flow out of the center duct. If you don't need heat I would completely cover the heat openings in favor of more AC flow.

I'm working on this exact problem myself now that I'm upgrading the entire AC system and sealing the cabin.

18. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia

I figured the same and just went OEM.

YES.

Please keep us (me) posted.

Sent from my iPhone
    (Which means I am probably sitting by the car, confused.)

19. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    The 40mil does not restrict any of the air on the heat side.
    Im sure you could go thinner but, per Chairpilot's recommendation, he believed the OEM was around 40mil.

20. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David

I too measured the original at around 40 mil, I went thinner and ended up using 1/32 thick rubber and it seems to work fine in the GTB application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Awesome thread

22. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    So I was re-reading this thread and wanted to know if anyone had installed solid dividers so that neither the heat or cold ducts were ever blocked BUT they are separate. If you want heat close the top vent, if you want the cold close the side vents. Anyone?

23. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I have upgraded everything in my AC system except the number of vents. There are two heater vents under the dash. If I remove the leather flaps would I be able to get cold air out of them?

I shut off the heater air from entering the car with the levers (the manual says to set the vent adjusters to the off/0 position to use the AC).

Aaron

24. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Any luck ??