308 decklid releases | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 decklid releases

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tesseract, May 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John_308qv

John_308qv Karting

Apr 9, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow Spasso, this is good work! Well done.

2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Spasso I'll bite here , how do you get the screwdriver into the trunk? I assume this is a touch and feel type of approach? If the trunk firewall does not have a hole with a plug are you drilling one? If so are you drilling 2 holes so you can put a light in one or just feeling around with the screwdriver.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think he cheated, and opened the lid! He was showing how they are tripped open.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Smack out the tail light. They are available. I have replaced all mine because they crack with age, anyway.

Besides, smashing something always makes me feel better!

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The pictures were just to show what to do IF you find a way in.
    A. Through the tailight
    B. Through the bottom of the trunk
    C. Through the bulkhead

I believe it would be possible to 'jimmy' the latch through a 2" (or larger?) hole in the bulkhead just aft of the R/H inner fender once it is removed. After you are done you can pop a rubber plug in the hole, easily removed for the next guy.

More than likely it will have to be done by the method of taking sight through the hole then insert the tool and try to get another peek while doing so. It would probably work better if you found somebody with a very small head.(Humor).

Personally I would do almost anything to avoid ruining a tailight or hacking the body work.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well I agree, but it's $150. +/- and replaced without leaving evidence.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence you ever tried."

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I made cool ashtrays out of my old ones!

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Good point

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I hate doing welding/bodywork.

I flash back to my years with the railroad!!

10. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Actually, they are a little fogged and discolored from some overly rich carbs settings. I'm going to try the back door approach first, the pull out the hammer.

Where's the best place to find a replacement?

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll check with my tech on that one. He replaced all four of mine and the new ones are noticably brighter and clean. Dirt builds up on the inside also.

I think you can search this site. Someone was just talking about them.

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Enjoythemusic replaced his a while back. Give Steve a buzz and see where he sourced from.

13. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

Sourced my new tail lights from http://www.kitcaraccessories.com/ferrari.html They are authentic and even came in that $$$$ yellow box with ponies on it. i gave my old ones to Fchat member Verell so if you want old, dirty, dated, hazy single light part he may be able to offer you one (i gave than all to Verell for free).

NOTE: If you install new tail lights i HIGHLY recommend you get new black plastic gaskets (T. Rutland, one needed for each light so four total).

See pic after i installed ALL new lighting at http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/281490.html

14. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Steve how did you mount the hella driving lights. I've been looking at getting a set but they are a single post mount and I would have to build a bracket to mount them to the underside of the bumper. Also did you cut your grill or is it a euro type. I like the look.

15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Steve,

The car here is a Euro so it came with single post fogs. Obviosuly the stock ones were WELL past their prime and the PIAA fog lights would not fit so... Purchased the Hella and they mounted right up pure and simple. No mods needed other than getting the right wire end connectors at Radio Shack so i did not have to mod the stock wire connectors.

16. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Got it. Darn camera is acting up. I'll give you the full story tomorrow.

Numbers:

1 - hole drilled through trunk floor (3/8 inch - plugable)
    84 - cuss words mutterred (OK, a couple were loud)
    3 - new cuss words invented
    0 - body panels hacked through
    0 - tailights hammered in
    2 - inch hole found in backside of wheel well with thin fibreglas covering
    1 - crib part used (pictures tomorrow)
    100 - thanks to all offering help and condolences

Spasso - your photos really helped once I could kind of see the latch mechanism through the little hole. I had looked at it prior, but couldn't really visualize the way the pull-thing aligned inside of the latch mech.

This is what this site is about. Guess I owe it to full subscribe.

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    So glad you got the hatch open!
    I forgot about the little patch in the wheel well. Mine has one too.

As far as subscribing to this site;
    Aside from ego clashes once in a while and out of control, jobless Ferrari bashers this site has given me more information in a year that I could have learned reading manuals and books for 5. It has been extremely valuable to me. There are some very serious and knowledgable people on this site, some not so serious but nearly all quite respectful of each other.

Some feel we shouldn't have to pay for information and advice that has been free for the last few years. Sometimes I feel the same way until I think about how disturbing this site was with the likes of Gary Green, Nibblesworth, Mako99 and Alanlambo (and many others). ALL CONTRIBUTIONS BY ALL OF THESE PEOPLE WERE EITHER NON-VALUE ADDED OR CONFRONTATIONAL JUST FOR THE SAKE OF PISSING PEOPLE OFF. If a couple of bucks a month keeps the site clear of these bandwidth sucking black holes I'm all for it.

Some of these people are on another site and I notice that they are quite well behaved because they know they'll get their ass kicked off the site in a heartbeat. The Corvette site and the NSXprime site are the same way. They were given many chances here and didn't take the hint. The subsciption helps runs this site and maintain quality.

Looking forward to the pictures!

18. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I'm happy your problem is solved.

Now don't close the deck lid again, until you've adjusted the cables properly! :)

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Great thread guys - Glad to see all the help offered & the positive results. :)

20. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    #45 tesseract, Jun 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, I got it open and then actually finished the original repair. I can now pull the deck release, walk around and open the deck without someone or something holding up the release lever.

With inspiration from this site, mainly Spasso - thank you, I looked around and found a 2 inch hole in the backside of the right rear wheelwell. Pulled the wheel and poked around at the hole. Discovered that there was a piece of fiberglass tacked on from inside the trunk covering the hole to keep out water. Poked it out. was able to get the carpet pushed aside. With the help of a flashlight I could see the offensive decklid release mechanism - but it is 18 inches away. I have a decent array of tools, but couldn't find anything to get to the release mech. Here's the real story - my sister visited last weekend with her 6 month old. Being a good host, I pulled our old crib out of the basement (my youngest is 8, so it has been virtually useless for years). Hadn't put it away yet. well, it's got these sliding sides and they run along a 2 1/2 foot piece of 1/4 inch round high tensile steel. Yanked one off and ground down the end to a nice point. Stuck it through the wheelwell, through the two inch hole, through the tiny release mech hole (Spasso's pictures were invaluable) and jiggled and jimmied until.... CLICK. Reset the nut-on-a-wire thing and all is well now. I've opened and closed about 20 times now - all is good. Grey Goose time.

I'm gonna try to attach some photos.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    #47 tesseract, Jun 6, 2004
  22. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    So.....a babies crib saved the day!

Whoever would've thunk it? :)

23. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    #49 F1Ace, Jun 7, 2004
    OK, I'm sorry but I can't see in the dark, could someone please turn on the lights? Ahhhhh there, that looks better...hey nice car! Thanks for posting it!

Aren't these guys great!

Wes

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Glad to have been of help. I'm not much of an expert on these cars so I have been learning FROM this site more than anything else so when the opportunity arises I am more than happy to contribute.

SSSSoooooooooo, do think that hole in the rear bulkhead was there for from a previous latch failure? A little known factory design feature just for this purpose? I seem to recall a similar patch in my wheel well also.