308 defect has boggled experts. Help !!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 defect has boggled experts. Help !!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gary308gtb, Jan 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pogibm

pogibm Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Randy Madamba
    Gary i belive you got your problem solve a simple cam timing being over looked, by the way did you ever get your tach working with the MSD's

2. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    You started out with the words expert mechanic...right?

3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Help me out here. How do you "invert" the way you've been timing cylinders? They're all on the same bank, right?

Unless you mean they were connecting the wrong spark plug wires coming out of the distributors or other ignition into the wrong cylinders.

If that's the case. You should probably have taken it to Midas or Brake Masters before this guy! j/k

4. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Assuming that it still has two distributors, they were probably hooking their inductive timing light to cylinder #8's plug wire instead of #5's for the front bank's timing.

5. rjdavatar

rjdavatar Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Zurich, Switzerland
    I had similar symptoms to yours, but intermittent ('85 308QV). It would appear severly for an hour or so, particularly when negotiating windy roads with short busrst of accelaration, and then possibly settle down.

After a long search the problem turned out to be a leaking cam seal beneath a distributer, so that maybe a tablespoon or so of oil was sloshing around in the distributer base. Easily fixed, and immediate relief.

6. gary308gtb

gary308gtb Rookie

Oct 9, 2003
    Sorry for my confusing statement about the cylinders being timed wrongly from 8 to 5.

4 Webers, you are right, they were doing just as you said above, sorry. Yes I still have 2 distributors. My cam seal is ok, no leaks.

* Regarding my tach problem, my tach works fine with the MSD disengaged. With the MSD connected, the tach is dead. So I just bought a MSD tach adaptor PN8910. Will still have to connect.

Yes, in thhe beginning of my thread I mentioned Ferrari "expert mechanics". Since I am in a 3rd world country in Asia, and the only Ferrari Dealership which was only set up last year has sold only 1 unit for the year (I think a 360 Modena), then I guess there are indeed NO expert Ferrari mechanics over here.

If not for the workshop & parts manual, they would do things hit or miss, that's why my car has been in the shop for 4 months !

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You could not have done any worse yourself. Next time do the job yourself and Fchat will talk you through it!