308 Distributor Question!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Distributor Question!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, Apr 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Robert, do I understand you to say your points lasted 20,000 miles and 12 years? Is that without any maintainance? No points adjustments? If so, what kind of shape are they in after that mileage?

2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Paul,
    I replaced the points 8,119 miles ago. I adjusted them about 500 miles ago and they are in perfect shape no sign of wear, burning etc. I cleaned the advance mech. and lubed it 500 miles ago too.

I have taken 6 distributors apart now and I think that the problem I have is with my distributor machine. All of the advance curves look weird, if one was doing this I would understand but I took the advance mechanism out of a brand new S159A and put it in one of my S159B and it reads the same as the one I took out. All are showing lower advance curves than expected and because the motor in the machine is vibrating up and down it is making the readings unstable.

It is old, uncalibrated, has been rewired weird, so I am thinking that it is my problem. If any of you guys knows where a sun or allen machine in good shape is let me know. I do not have the time or knowledge to fix this one.

I remember somewhere that someone set up a device with a electric drill to check the advance, is there anyway I can use my distributor machine to spin the distributor and some how hook up my multi meter to check the advance and dwell? I have not been able to figure it out yet???

I am however intimately aquainted with the advance mechanism, pins, weights, etc now.........

3. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am thinking for just plain simplicity sake, and the ability to fix the car on the run, I am going to convert back to points. Yada yada yada.

Robert, you know when your engine is running, it makes a pretty good distributor machine. Once you set your idle timing, you rev the motor to 5000 and watch your timing light on the flywheel. It should be no more advanced than book timing at 5000 RPM, or at least without pinging. Regardless if you tested it on a distributor machine, you should still check it at 5000 rpm on the engine, just to be sure your not to far advanced at high RPM, obviously equal on both banks. While your reving it up and down, you can watch to see how smoothly your timing fluctuates, which will tell you how efficient your advance weights are working. That alone will tell you if your ready for a trip. Forza!