308 door panels - request for help | FerrariChat

308 door panels - request for help

Discussion in '308/328' started by dflett, May 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I am finishing up the interior restoration of my 78 308 GTB and I have two requests to the 308 owning fchatters regarding the door panels.

Firstly, can someone please take a quick cellphone photo of the underneath of an armrest? My upholsterer has delivered back my armrests recovered in new vinyl but I think he has them wrong as there seems to be too much exposed fiberglass underneath.

Secondly, can someone with a carburetor car confirm if they have plastic mouldings around the hole for the inner door handle. My car always just had a somewhat ragged hole cut in the leather and I am wondering how these came from the factory. The Maranello parts diagram for 1978 does not show a moulding but the parts diagram on Ricambi America does show a moulding (part 60138807).

Thanks in advance
    David

2. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    My '79 does not have any trim around the inner door handle. Just a hole. I will try to remember to get you a picture later but I do not recollect seeing much fiberglass on the arm rest when I had it off this winter.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I had an 80 gtsi, but the arm rest should be fully covered except for the back side which goes up against the door panel itself.

search ebay for armrests for sale or google/yahoo images, should find many pics

4. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    +1

5. MikeRSR

MikeRSR Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Surrey, England
    #5 MikeRSR, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi David, here's a picture from my 76 Vetro, it shows the small 'u' shaped piece that fits under the handle, it's vinyl covered
    and fixed on with two cross self tappers. You can also see the underside of the armrest is covered in vinyl to both sides then
    a felt like material to the topside, no visible fibreglass to be seen.

Hope that helps, Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rifledriver and Andrew McCrae like this.
  6. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Perfect. It does.

Thank you all. My upholsterer added the felt back in but he did not put enough vinyl on. Looks like the armrests need to be redone :(

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    My 77 steel has the same U shape trim. Arm rest fully covered with no fiberglass showing anywhere.

8. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Based on your info I went back and had a closer look at one the old hides we pulled off the doors and if I hold it up to the light, I can see a faint U-shape indent... Just enough to pull a masking tape template from :) Now I fabricate replacements.

So my car must have had them some time in the past. The old leather had been redyed so perhaps they were mislaid at that time. The unfinished hole always bothered me so I am happy to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again
    David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    The u-shaped trims are made from alumunum sheet. I can provide a template if needed.

10. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David

Jim

That would be fantastic if it is not too much trouble for you.

Regards
    David

11. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I just serviced the window motor on my 1978 308 GTS and went through all the parts. The armrest is fully covered where exposed but has rough holes in the vinyl for the mounting hardware.

The U for the door handle seems to be hand made for each application and very rude cut as if it was done by eye and not any template.

12. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    I'd really appreciate it if you could also let me have a template for the u-shaped trim. Thanks very much Graham

13. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I have Jim's template and will try to scan to PDF today and post. Jim and I already discussed doing this, I just never got around to it.

Regards
    David

14. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    FerrariChat gives me a error when I try to upload PDFs so anybody who wants a copy send me a PM and I'll email you the PDF. I scanned for US Letter and A4 so let me know which you want.

Thanks again to Jim for taking the time to make the original template.

Regards
    David

15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    My 77 GTB is all apart and I can confirm it is exactly like the VR pics posted above. The underside is mousehair felt.

The U shaped trim is completely hand cut and different side to side and has a little bit of angularity in the cuts, like it was done with tin snips while sipping wine. Use a template and it will be too perfect! Look at the inside of your door panel and you should see the screw holes left by the self-tappers that held it in place...that would be good to template so screw holes line up going through your new vinyl.

Ciao!

Hannibal

16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The U shaped trim on my 308 is tan leather.

17. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Yes, on my 80 gtsi is also trimmed in door color leather.

18. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    My U trim is leather over thin tin or steel too...I meant the underside of the armrest is mouse hair felt glued directly to fiberglass.

Hannibal

19. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Sorry to resurrect a very old thread but do you still have the template please?

20. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    99% sure I do. Give me a couple of days to sort through some boxes to find it.

21. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I think these are the templates you're looking for.

Attached Files:

22. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    #22 dflett, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Yes that’s them... I just found the same scans on my laptop and my website (my memory is not what it was)

http://308restoration.com/2015/02/interior-handle-molding/

Thanks Thorn for saving me the trouble of scanning it again!

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Four years ago when I had my whole interior reupholstered, I lost my driver side “U” shape piece. After talking to Jim B, he was nice enough to lend me his, so I bought a small sheet of aluminum and made me one since I have plenty of extra leather left. Thanks again Jim!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Thank you everyone. Now to fill and recut two switch holes (instead of one huge 2 switch sized hole). Stretching and recovering terrifies me as I'm thinking how does one hold the cover in place while the glue dries. However, I think for a lot of us the satisfaction of doing the job ourselves counts.

25. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    And thanks to you for the original scanning - as well as your website; I've benefited often, from the info you share there.

dflett likes this.