308 dry sump kit | FerrariChat

308 dry sump kit

Discussion in '308/328' started by luckydynes, Oct 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #1 luckydynes, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Excellent work
    Is this a one off for yourself or will you make a run of them?

3. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I'd do a run or even just one (mucho $$$) . . . I bought enough material to do 4 or 5.

Sean

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    That is a slick set-up, nice!

Once I get my engine I need to do a test fit and see if there is any hope of doing something similar....I'm goign to have at least 3.7" more engine on the right side and may not have room for the pump. A similar setup with an idler gear or 2 pushing the pump to the side of the engine might be just the ticket.

5. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Thanks . .. the thing on the back of the pump is an air/oil seprator . .. if you loose that you can gain another couple of inches at least FYI.

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    How important do you think the separator is?? It seems like a good thing to have, but I honestly haven't done any digging on the whole dry supm subject yet and I'm more than a little ignorant.

The thought that popped into my head on the way home from work is since the 400 is a timing chain engine, and the chain is way plenty strong, I wonder if that could be used to drive the oil pump??? I can't wait to actually see this engine.

7. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I had room so I went with it . . . I think there's external seperators also. I also remember something about different style scavenge pumps (roots, g-rotor, spur . . . don't know which) creating more foam than others.

I was told 360 uses a chain. The original 308 dry sumps use a chain only for the scavenge section . .. pressure section runs off the gear like the stock setup.

I wish I was waiting for something like an engine to show up . . . time to go over to ebay :)

Sean

8. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Impressive block of Alum you did there.

Not cheap.

9. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Thanks.

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I think what you need is a spare crank and rods and I know just where you can find a set for sale.

No wait, what you need is a set of ported QV heads....and I just so happen to know where to get those too:)

11. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Don't tempt me . . . I'm already a pack rat . . . the law of entropy as it applies to "stuff" . . . junk expands to meet available space :)