308 Engine Rebuild & CIS to TWM Throttle Bodies Conversion Thread! | Page 28 | FerrariChat

308 Engine Rebuild & CIS to TWM Throttle Bodies Conversion Thread!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Pizzaman Chris, Sep 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris

11:1?? Don't you need rocket fuel with that kind of compression?

He mentioned Wiseco and JE and some other names for pistons.

2. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    John, not yet.

He needed the specs from me so he can measure.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    No you dont, cam selection combined with compression ratio is what determines fuel requirements. You can run 12:1 static if you run a cam with enough duration to cut your dynamic compression ratio down into the 8's. Lower compression, less duration keeping the dynamic or usable ratio near 8 is what matters. 8.8:1 with P6 cams equals a dynamic comprssion ratio probably in the 7's or lower which means you cant pull a sick whore off a toilet with that combo..

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Just to clarify, if you take into consideration when the intake valve closes after BDC by using a degree wheel, you can then measure the piston position in the bore, calculate volume and then figure out your usable compression ratio. Because the valve doesnt close at BDC the entire cylinder volume isnt available to compress the charge, what that new ratio is matters and determines the engine's bottom end grunt as well as its fuel requirements for the most part.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Another example. My boxer has CIS so I have cam limitations. Taking into consideration the maximum cam duration and overlap the CIS will like will determine the compression ratio I can run and still use pump gas. Its all about the combo. If I ran 12:1 pistons in my car with a CIS friendly cam grind, the car would need more than the available 94 sunoco gold at the pump which is not the path I wish to go.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #681 Verell, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    I can't tell for sure from the picture, does the scuffing extend thru the ring area & up to the piston's top, or does it stop with the oil (bottom) ring? Do the rings show signs of scuffing as well?

Are there corresponding scuff marks on the cyl. sleeve?

Here's a link to an excellent tutorial on causes of piston damage including scuffing:
    http://www.mlcmotorfactors.co.uk/Trouble%20Tracers/PistonTT.pdf

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Hey guys,

I didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I put it here.

I lost all my Fchatter's phone numbers. Good folks I talk to once in a while.
    Can you guys PM me your numbers again.

Hey, I'll take new comers too. :)

Thank and let's get back to are regular scheduled program.

8. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Hey Chris,

Not going to PM you...I'm going to use this as a good excuse to call you up.

Henry

9. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I have been doing some reading on the TEC3r that I'm planing to install for my 308 conversion. I got to this chapter on Fuel pump selection:

"As for the pressure rating, a minimum of 70psi is typically used for multi-port injection layouts. Fuel pumps for TBI setups can be rated lower, since the operating rail pressure is lower with TBI injectors.
    High-boost (over 20psi) applications may suffer from problems with normal OEM fuel pumps. Since many fuel pumps are rated at 43psi (3 Bar), there is no information on what the pumps will flow at 60 or 70psi. On a turbo engine with 25psi boost, the fuel pump will see about 68psi. Most stock fuel pumps will not be able to maintain their flow rating at this pressure, and a lean-out condition may result. As such, it is highly advised that you buy a good quality aftermarket pump when running highly boosted engines.

If a high-pressure pump is mounted above the fuel level in a gas tank, a decreased pump lifespan will generally result. Some high-pressure pumps will fail very quickly when mounted above the fuel level. The reason for this failure is that high-pressure pumps often are not designed to pull suction. As such, any high-pressure pump mounted above the fuel level should have a low-pressure fuel pump before it. A standard carburetor-style fuel pump can be used for this task."

I know there are a few Fchatters that have this system.

Any thoughts on this?

Anyone that has changed over to EFI have any problems with fuel delivery?

Thanks

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Your stock CIS pump will be prenty fine. Nothing at all to worry about.

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #686 Verell, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Pizzaman,
    Not a problem, the 308 CIS fuel pump mounts down below the fuel tanks. It also deliveres plenty of pressure & fuel flow.

The TEK 3r is a nice system. But it's Electromotive, not Haltech so I won't be able to help you much with it. If you go that way, who do you have lined up to generate maps & fine tune your system?

12. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #687 Pizzaman Chris, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Geez, that was a easy answer.

So i can use the whole fuel delivery system that's still on the 308?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes, it's all fine as is.

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Pretty much. You won't really need the fuel accumulator, so it could be bypassed & removed, but it won't hurt if you leave it in there.

I can help you with Cohline fittings & fuel lines to hook the existing lines to your fuel pressure regulator & rails.

What I was trying to say about Haltech vs Motech is that I know how much effort it takes to learn a specific engine management system, it's software, & how it interacts with an engine. I have no choice but to spend the time to learn the Haltech system in depth in order to do my car. I could then help you if you went with a similar Haltech system as we discussed a year or so ago. However, reality is I just won't be able to committ a similar amount of time to learn the Motech in order to help you.

15. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I understand, and appreciate any help. :)

There's a dealer/speed shop that is a authorized Electromotive dealer, if worse comes, i can always take my 308 to.

Plus, I like the complete package i can get from Nick Forza, maps to get going included. Everything will be there to hook up.

16. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Many 12 cylinder cars like the 400i come equipped with 2 fuel pumps. Two alternators as well but that's another story.

17. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    What's the PSI on the original 2v 308 fuel pump?

From the TEC3r manual:

When choosing a fuel pump, two factors are important:
    • Flow Rating (in lbs/hr)
    • Pressure Rating (in psi)
    To find the flow rating required for a given engine, multiply the engine horsepower by the BSFC, and add at least 25%.

Where's Steve M?

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The stock pump will handle about 400hp and you are going to make about 270 so stop worrying already, the stock pump is more than fine for your application.

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #694 Steve Magnusson, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
    The Bosch CIS fuel pump operates at ~5 bar (73 psi). If you are just doing a normally aspirated EFI conversion, you'd actually be better off going to a 3 bar (43 psi) fuel pump as this uses less current and wastes less energy (this is why Motronic fuel pumps don't frazzle the electrical connections like Jetronic fuel pumps ;)), but no harm using the CIS pump (and a regulator, if necessary) -- and it seems ideal for a boosted EFI application.

20. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Ok,ok i'll stop worrying about it. :)

Thanks for chiming in Steve.

21. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Always great talking to you Henry. Thanks for calling. :)

22. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #697 Pizzaman Chris, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Gents,

I just got my "Gasket set" and i notice that i might be missing a couple. Maybe?

Check out the 2 pictures:

First one is the Gear Box Transmission. Is there a gasket that i can't locate that goes to the cover??

Second one is the Gear Box. Is there a gasket where the Engine Block sits on the Gear Box??

23. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    sealant for both places. I like permatex 518 or similar but there are plenty of things that work well, the factory used silicone.

24. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #699 Verell, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    Both of those locations are high precision fits, hence only sealant as mk e says.

Also only sealant between the bell housing & the spacer, & between the spacer & the block.

Lately I've also just been using silicone sealant on the sump covers as they're also well machined.

I prefer the Permatex 515 or 518 as it doesn't set or skim over while you're working the way silicone does.

A little goes a long way here as it ends up an extremely thin joint. Use a bead about 2mm in diameter.

25. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    +1 for the loktite/permatex 518 anerobic goop