308 Euro Front Bumper Removal & Red Bumpers | FerrariChat

308 Euro Front Bumper Removal & Red Bumpers

Discussion in '308/328' started by noblesteed, Oct 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    #1 noblesteed, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey all, I've been warming up to my newly acquired 84' Euro GTB QV. Love the car. Drives GREAT! As I start to knock things out on it, ridding of the TRX wheels for the non metric 16's, pondering badge removal on the fenders, swapping out the front bumper turn signals for the standard euro qv ones, etc... first thing is removing and refinishing the red front bumper to redo do it in black. What's weird is, this is a French spec Euro (notice the yellow fogs and there is the French import plate). I've seen pics of 3 French Euro QV's with red front bumpers just like this one. I know it sounds weird, but was this something the French did? Was it some weird factory French QV option? Or just a victim of 308 owners modernizing to look more like a 328?

My main question is... though I searched on here, I haven't seen anyone explaining HOW to remove the front bumper. I know it's two bolted areas behind, I've felt them, but how do you get to them to take the thing off? Help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    It's pretty easy. Remove the grill, then unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the bumper to the brackets. Someone should hold the bumper while doing that otherwise it falls down, but other than that, it's that simple. You might wanna respray both bumpers to have the same finishing.

I've seen Belgian 308's with red bumpers, but I'm not sure if this is original or not. However I do like the yellow foglights! Great looking car!!

3. myfazzman1

myfazzman1 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 25, 2009
    down under,australia
    Full Name:
    peter

The Red front bumper on French Market cars was definetly not done by the factory!!!

These are "owner customisations"......French QV's had the yellow Cibie Airports in the grille),other Euro's were clear and yellow Carello headlight glass....these are French market legal requirements.....other than that the French QV's were identical to other "Euro's".

Hope this helps,
    Pete

4. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    I have a french QV as well. Painting the bumper back to black will help plenty. Nice to see that your car retained the original euro blinker repeaters on the front fenders (see how they are smaller then the rear fender markers). I really want to convert mine back to those and remove the rears which were added during federalization.

Nice looking car. Is this the one that was kicking around Craig's List out in Arizona a few years back? I enquired about a car that looked exactly like yours when I was looking, but never received a response. Any more pictures?

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Brantley, you should not need to remove the bumper bracket nuts (2 on either bracket). Each bracket is mounted to a pipe which in turn mounts to a mating pipe on the chasses which is secured by a mounting/securing bolt. This allowed for the bumper to be adjusted. It should be able to be removed by simply unfastening the securing bolts and sliding the bumper off. I can show you if you like as I am local. PM was sent

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nice looking and rare example......spray the bumper black, definately......as noted you could remove and patch the rear side markers and lose the shields for a really nice OEM look.

Congrats on the purchase!

7. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    you can also use Jack stands on either end of the bumper to hold it up but I can't imagine its anywhere near as heavy as the US POS bumper!

8. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You bastard! You bought that car out from under me! LOL! Seriously...I was in contact with the seller and he told me you were waiting to liquidate some funds but if you hadn't, that car would be mine! So give me a ride, would ya?! :)

9. noblesteed

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    Sorry man! I had been working with him for a bit, pretty sure I didn't buy it out from under you. Haha. The fact that I was local helped as he didn't want to go through the inspection and shipping issues. Of course you can have a ride!! It's a great car... I know the local Ferrari mechanic that services it well so that helped too.

10. noblesteed

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    Thanks guys for the help, I'll get pics up when I get the bumpers redone, new QV wheels in place of the TRX's and other stuff done. I really appreciate the help!

11. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    #11 Hotzos, Oct 12, 2011
  12. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    I guess it should be somewhere between glossy and matte, is that silk or satin? Anyhow, let's get those red bumpers back to the original!

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would take it to a Body Shop.

The bumper IS rubber!

So they have used a flex additive in the paint to get it to 'stick' at all.

They will know what to do the strip the paint back to the underlying black rubber, but getting it to "look nice" again is anybody's guess.

You may end up replace them with some that have not suffered the indignity.

There are plenty out there, as owners do a "Euro Upgrade" to fibreglass ones.
    One of the repro comapnies (MacCarbon?) was going to do the North American shape in 'glass, to get the weight savings without changing the grill bars.

Painting those satin black might be a way out of the woods.

14. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #14 andyww, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    Maybe a French Ferrari dealer offered this as a dealer-fitted option on new cars??
    I believe many of the color-coded roof spoilers on later 308s and 328s were done by dealers.
    I think it looks pretty good actually! The US spec bumpers defintely dont look good in red though.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I guess they were chasing the 'modern look" of the 328.

A shame really as the lighter 'look' of the early cars is a real asset, IMO.

16. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    My bumpers have a satin finish. You can get suprisingly good results scuffing the bumpers with 320 grit and spraying with SEM Bumper Coat. I would recommend against purchasing a bumper finish at the local auto parts store. Duplicolor in not in the same league as SEM!

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good advice!

I know there have been some split rubber ones succesfully repaired and painted.
    It's doable.

18. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I refinished my bumpers using SEM rubber and trim paint.
    They look great.

19. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have SEM bumper paint also.

20. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    #20 Hotzos, Mar 3, 2012
    Front bumper and loovers are black now.

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    MUCH better!

Thumbs up on your ground up restoration!!! LOL!

22. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Bumper looks much better! Now what have you decided about the back bumper?

23. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    Actually have not decided yet....i was going to do it the same time but i realized the rubber flashing? that is riveted to rear body panel above the bumper is red too. I think that would mean taking the car to a body shop to do it right? So....it is staying red for now. Actually, the rear bumper in Red is growing on me.

24. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    This is one gal that looks better without the lipstick and rough.

25. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    LOL!