308 EuroQV fuel leak | FerrariChat

308 EuroQV fuel leak

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jwise, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    #1 jwise, Dec 11, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello,
    My car was parked for the winter last Friday. I added sta-bil and totally filled the fuel tanks and imediately parked it. So, yesterday I noticed a black puddle about 4" long under the car directly under the back of the passenger side door.

After smelling the liquid (fuel) and jacking up the car to take a look from underneath, I can see the fuel is leaking from somewhere near the top of the right side fuel tank and mixing with the body coating and making the black puddle. I took off the right rear wheel, and wheel well and looked around. I couldn't really see anything obvious. The leak is down the front of the tank in the 1" gap between the tank and the body. You can only see it from underneath.

I also felt with my hand the hoses on the top of the tank and all felt dry. It could have leaked a few days ago and then evaporated I guess.

So- I'm going to check the floor for leaks tonight and proceed with recommendations.

What do you think?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    J (John?)
    Fuel system should be tight. The venting system goes between the tanks and to a vapor separator up in the inside of the passenger rear wing. Fluid drains from VS back into the tank.

Sounds like one of two things:

First, one of the hoses is leaking (fuel, hose to the VS, upper breather hose between the tanks). Easy to check.

Second, you have a pin prick leak in one of the tanks. The early cars (and I assume the later ones too) have aluminum tanks that are covered in some type of coating. They are easily holed. (I had an AC hose clamp pierce my passenger tank). Only solution to that one is to drain the tanks (20 min) and pull the passenger tank (an hour or so). I took mine to a radiator shop to flush and re-seal. Took a couple of days and cost $130 or so. It requires a bit of re-orienting the tank to get it out, but I didn't remove any of the suspension or caliper.

Worth checking and replacing all the hoses while you are there.
    HTH
    Philip

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    John,
    Check the small braided fuel hoses(#66 & #26 below) going to the top of the passenger side fuel tank. One of them is routed next to/across one of the A/C hose fittings. There was a recall to re-route the hose so that the A/C fitting wouldn't cut it thru.

Several FChat & FListe members have reported engind compartment fires caused by the a/c fitting cuting thru & letting fuel drop down onto a hot exhaust manifold!

A fairly small puddle is characteristic of a cut thru here as there isn't much fuel in the hose.

I was almost one of them - I caught my hose w/only the braid cut thru when I did my major & remembered to check the hose.

4. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

#26 went on mine. The hose was almost completely occluded from the hard angle it takes off of the fitting. Could be possible that something in the Stabil finished a leak that was already about to rear it's ugly head!

5. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    They recently replaced 26 (and i believe 25 also) on the 1985 Euro 308 that is here during the 60k miles checkup. Seems to be something to keep an eye out for now that others have chimed in with the same problem.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

6. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    After reading this thread, I think my '85' Euro 308 is beginning to experience the same problem. It certainly is experiencing the same symptoms, smell of gas and dark stain under car. I think I will have it checked out. Thanks for the heads up.

7. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Thanks folks,
    I checked around last night and nothing was discovered. No more fuel was leaked- that I could see. I'm going to put the car back on the ground, add a coulpe cups of fuel, and then watch and wait for it to leak again. Everything felt dry and I couldn't see anywhere the fuel hoses could be rubbing.

Fuel leaks freak me out. I have my extinguisher right beside me the entire time.

One good thing about this leak is, after removing the wheel well, I discovered my alt and a/c belts are not in the best shape and will replace them before she runs again. That is one skinny water pump belt.

I'll post what I find this weekend.

Thanks again.