308 exhaust valves, do they really need to be replaced with unleaded valves? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 exhaust valves, do they really need to be replaced with unleaded valves?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Tomasoshea, Sep 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    What has caused the valve failures on the 308s is the excess heat caused by the air pumps, not the valves themselves . The airpumps on the 308s blow cool air on the hot exhaust valves which can weaken them over time until they snap. The best solution would be to remove the air pump, but that would be in violation of EPA laws. On later models such as on the BB512i the airpumps were reconfigured and blow the cool air into the exhaust header rather than directly onto the exhaust valves thus remedying the problem. Thats why you don't hear of the sodium filled valves on BB512is failing.

2. Tomasoshea

Tomasoshea Rookie

Aug 29, 2004
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    My car is a Euro spec car, did not know ther was an airpump blowing air onto exhaust valves in my car, anyone know if this is the case for Euro cars?

Air pump not immediately obvious to me?

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Nope. air pump is not the problem. No UK spec car has it and they can suffer the same failure just as any can.

This may not be the correct thread for this, but all us Ferrari types should stop calling cars "Euro" spec. Euro means europe. The UK is part of Europe and so is switzerland. These two specs of cars could not be more different!

I think i'll start a new thread.....

4. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Dear Tom
    My car is a 77 year model. The surfaces were in very good nick and didn't need skimming etc. The seats were slightly pitted but they lapped in perfectly when we put it back together. You can run these cars on unleaded with no problem,(the compression ratio is quite low and the seats are hardened anyway).
    Gav